Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Problems with family. Need advice

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Long one. 

Hello all. I’m after some advice, and since my problems stem from work, I thought this would be the best place to ask for it. I’ve been a window cleaner for 2 and a half years now. I love it. I’m good at it, take pride in my work and providing a good service to my customers. My dad had a little round prior, a tiny fraction of what it’s worth now. 

I’ve worked hard the last couple of years with him and without him to build it so we can have a decent living. From the wrap on the van, to the cards we hand out, to the gocardless and app I set up to make life easier, to the flyers I put up in shop windows, to the uniform on our backs and the website I got made were because of my efforts. My Dad decided he wanted to step back a bit and brought my younger brother in. So I got him on payroll reluctantly as HE’S NOT A GRAFTER, he’s a coaster. But he’s got a license, which I don’t have - been doing lessons for the last month as I know that it’ll all fall apart if I rely on him to get from A to B. 

He told me for the second time in 5 weeks today, “I’m not going to work”. So I’m left to stew and worry. I hate not working, suns cracking the flags here and I’m here typing this because he’s lazy and selfish and unmotivated. There can’t be a third time. What I’m asking is am I justified, family and all, in putting an ultimatum to my dad that it’s either my brother or me, come Monday morning.

My Dads not an easy man to talk to. He’s a simple man, no particularly logical, prone to anger, but a great worker and we get on better when it’s the two of us, but I’m often in the wrong to him, and my brother follows as I think he sniffs out that an argument will lead to a day off or going home early. My Dad says I think I’m the “big boss”, which I know to be a weak insult to someone  who’s just trying to keep things in check and maintain standards. I’m not valued and don’t ask to be, I just get on with it for my partner and daughter. My Dad and and my brother go home and that’s the day done for them. I go home and do paperwork and advertise so we make more money. He doesn’t off much and has no initiative, and he if can’t even drive the van, then what’s use is he. So am I justified in giving an ultimatum that he choose me or my kid brother? 

Thanks 

Last edited by a moderator:
Well that's family for you ?  I have worked with my family and also taken over from them, so no it can be difficult at first.  I would imagine your day might be a bit jealous of your new ways of doing things. But also very proud of what your doing and the good results your getting.

But you need to tred carefully, Your a natural business man and wanting to do your best and grow the business. But not everyone is like this!   Which is going to frustrated the hell out of you. But is it worth potential causing long term problems in the family.  

My advice get your license ASAP.   But in the mean time try and sell the the long term vision you have for the business to your brother, highlighting what might be available if he puts in the hard work now.

Best of look.

Well that's family for you ?  I have worked with my family and also taken over from them, so no it can be difficult at first.  I would imagine your day might be a bit jealous of your new ways of doing things. But also very proud of what your doing and the good results your getting.

But you need to tred carefully, Your a natural business man and wanting to do your best and grow the business. But not everyone is like this!   Which is going to frustrated the hell out of you. But is it worth potential causing long term problems in the family.  

My advice get your license ASAP.   But in the mean time try and sell the the long term vision you have for the business to your brother, highlighting what might be available if he puts in the hard work now.

Best of look.

Thanks mate. I know that’s all true what you said. I have to weigh up, is it worth it.  It’s changed the family dynamic a lot working together, some days good, some days bad, found myself saying things to them I never thought I would in anger. In my heart I know this isn’t the job for my brother. It’s like having 1 and a half men working. He can’t climb ladders on the occasions we need to, doesn’t do heights, won’t speak to customers, and hardly drives the van that’s he’s insured to drive. 

My dad doesn’t think things through, demands brother’s number on van and cards when the lad doesn’t even answer his phone when I ring him. Not sensible. I won’t let any job go as long as it’s profitable. Never know where they’ll lead. He’s only ever worked in retail and I was willing to give him a fair crack but after 12 months I still don’t have any confidence in his work. There’d be no money to give him if I acted any differently. 

Back