Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Pros and cons of water system in van instead of backpack

WCF

Help Support WCF:

eddyl3000

Hi all, started not long ago and use just gardiner backpacks at the moment, I was wondering obviously at some point I'll be upgrading to a proper system in the back of a van but I'm not a fan of the idea of a long hose trailing everywhere I'm going (across pavements etc)

I was just wondering what are the main pros for having a system in the van? I could obviously think of a few but just wanted to hear of people with first hand experience

I'm thinking I'd end up using a backpack in certain situations still and the system mainly I guess ?

Thanks

I started with a backpack out of my car about 18 months ago and bought a van in Jan last year.
I am never thinking about if I will get the last window done before the backpack runs out. The rinsing is quicker with more flow. I don't have the faff of filling up the backpack, lifting it and trolley in and out of car.
Van is sign written, so looks more professional and gets more walkups. Hose across pavement no problems just put a c one or 2 out.
The main thing I would say is speed, it's amazing how much quicker you can arrive and start cleaning.

I started with a backpack out of my car about 18 months ago and bought a van in Jan last year.
I am never thinking about if I will get the last window done before the backpack runs out. The rinsing is quicker with more flow. I don't have the faff of filling up the backpack, lifting it and trolley in and out of car.
Van is sign written, so looks more professional and gets more walkups. Hose across pavement no problems just put a c one or 2 out.
The main thing I would say is speed, it's amazing how much quicker you can arrive and start cleaning.
I find the flow plenty good enough out my gardiners backpack, cant vouch for others. Only use it where needed though.

If you are concerned about hoses across the pavement, then get yourself a couple of small cones with "Caution, trip hard" and put them each side of the pavement next to your hose. A cone because the A Frame warning signs we originally had would get blown over by the slightest gust of wind.

We very really run a hose across a busy street, although we will in very quiet cul-de-sacs. If we hear the bin lorry or other heavy equipment, we will retrieve the hose before they pass. We generally park and work one side of the street, and then park the van on the other side of the street and work that side, so we don't have hoses across a busy road.

We have one street where we only have the fronts of one house on the other side of the road to do. Son usually does this with the backpack.

In some cases, our hoses run across grass pavement edges. We also did some houses behind a village green which we ran our hoses across. When we hear/heard the council's mowers, we retrieve/retrieved our hoses.

We have only had one incidence in 18 years with a blind person and her guide dog. Fortunately, I was working in the front and saw the problem beginning. The guide dog didn't want to cross over the hoses and didn't want to guide the blind lady around my van via the street.
I uncoupled the hoses from my van, put the hose reels and hose into the customer's driveway to clear the pavement, commended the dog with lots of praise and his owner gave him a treat. Not sure what would have happened if I was in the back, but have to presume the dog would have stopped and waited for a resolution.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
General wear and tear to your body, humping backpacks around is ok when you're young and doing 10 -15 houses a day 3 or 4 days a week. Doing 20 - 25 a day, 5 days a week when you get older is different, if even possible.
I can only lug a half full backpack around. My back is kaput.

You will find with a van will be quicker not having to fill the backpack up for a start.Will be able to fit more jobs into a day which means more profit .Not so much of a strain on the body and like said before more professional which will result in more work .Never had an issue with hoses across footways just put signs out and be sensible

Spend the day with someone using a van mount and you probably will never go back to using a Backpack.

I have a Gardiners backpack and consider it as a small toy compared to my van mount

I find the flow plenty good enough out my gardiners backpack, cant vouch for others. Only use it where needed though.
I found it was a balance balance between rinse speed vs refilling the backpack. While you can get enough flow out of the Gardiner backpack it doesn't last long before needing a refill.

I found it was a balance balance between rinse speed vs refilling the backpack. While you can get enough flow out of the Gardiner backpack it doesn't last long before needing a refill.
I've been watching this speed difference between my son using a backpack and me using the van mount.
I pull my house out to the back of the house I'm working on. Go back to the van to couple up hose reel to my van port, switch the pump on, grab my pole and head to my first window.

Meanwhile son has grabbed the backpack and his pole and started cleaning long before me. His setup time is minimal.
I clean my windows much quicker than he cleans his as his rinse rate is very much slower.

He doesn't have hose to manage so he is usually still ahead of me when I finish packing my equipment up.

We carry a 20 litre plastic container of pure water. He uses that to refill the backpack and then uses the second van port to connect his hose to, to slowly fill the plastic water drum while he is cleaning the next house.

It's definitely hose management that lets me down, but carrying a full backpack of water would kill me, so I'll stick to my hose reel.

Now many may ask why I don't couple my hose reel up, switch on my pump, grab my pole and walk to the back of the house in one action. Very really on our round do we manage to park where we can pull the hose out in one straight line.
Where I can I do.

I pull my house out to the back of the house I'm working on. Go back to the van to couple up hose reel to my van port, switch the pump on, grab my pole and head to my first window.
Why don't you leave the pump on as it'll DE, then connect up hose and collect pole before you pull out. Far too many backwards and forwards in my opinion

I agree with both of you, it's just easier for me. This is why I have hose reels on wheels with an outside van port. I position my hose reel in my customer's driveway, pull the hose out to the back, and then wheel my hose reel back to the van. I then couple up, switch on, get my pole out, lock the van up and then proceed to clean windows.

If you are concerned about hoses across the pavement, then get yourself a couple of small cones with "Caution, trip hard" and put them each side of the pavement next to your hose. A cone because the A Frame warning signs we originally had would get blown over by the slightest gust of wind.

We very really run a hose across a busy street, although we will in very quiet cul-de-sacs. If we hear the bin lorry or other heavy equipment, we will retrieve the hose before they pass. We generally park and work one side of the street, and then park the van on the other side of the street and work that side, so we don't have hoses across a busy road.

We have one street where we only have the fronts of one house on the other side of the road to do. Son usually does this with the backpack.

In some cases, our hoses run across grass pavement edges. We also did some houses behind a village green which we ran our hoses across. When we hear/heard the council's mowers, we retrieve/retrieved our hoses.

We have only had one incidence in 18 years with a blind person and her guide dog. Fortunately, I was working in the front and saw the problem beginning. The guide dog didn't want to cross over the hoses and didn't want to guide the blind lady around my van via the street.
I uncoupled the hoses from my van, put the hose reels and hose into the customer's driveway to clear the pavement, commended the dog with lots of praise and his owner gave him a treat. Not sure what would have happened if I was in the back, but have to presume the dog would have stopped and waited for a resolution.
Clever dog ?

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I agree with both of you, it's just easier for me. This is why I have hose reels on wheels with an outside van port. I position my hose reel in my customer's driveway, pull the hose out to the back, and then wheel my hose reel back to the van. I then couple up, switch on, get my pole out, lock the van up and then proceed to clean windows.
I think your set-up is hindering you more than it's helping you, although I can fully appreciate you may not be interested in investing in under-van rollers and an electric hose reel to make things more efficient as your a bit older than us and closer to retirement

Anything to make life a bit easier I noticed a big difference when I changed to electric reels and rollers .No more heavy reels to get in and out no more reeling in a godsend and best of all a lot easier on your body no more aching shoulder a life changer well worth it .When you are younger you think nothing of it but as the years creep up aches and pains seem to start creeping in my advice would be to make it easier on your selfs from a early age and reap the benefits not leave it till you are in your 60s like me

yep I couldnt hack it being backpack only, just a few jobs where taking the reel hose is more trouble.

I think your set-up is hindering you more than it's helping you, although I can fully appreciate you may not be interested in investing in under-van rollers and an electric hose reel to make things more efficient as your a bit older than us and closer to retirement
My moto is to retire when I expire. You've just brought my retirement closer. :ROFLMAO:

Back