Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Where to start backpack or system

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Badbeat

Iv been wanting to get started about 2 years now I finally have around 12k in a pot to get started. I was gonna wait longer but iv had enough, I work nights so will still be able to work this in till I have enough customers to quit. Just not sure if I should spend 11k on van and get backpack or should i spend 8k on something like Renault traffic, and get a complete system just wondering how some you guys done it thanks in advance

Depending what you intend doing a van mount system is usually the best option , look at ware you want to be in 2-5 years and base your decisions on that otherwise you end up buying twice
Yeah system is what I want just means got buy older van like 15 plate I do want to go that route as not sure if backpack will really give right look

If you're working already then personally I'd be trying to make the new venture as easy as possible.
You could buy a cheapback pack and expensive van and get a dog. You could buy an expensive system and struggle to get work. No one on here knows your circumstances so can't really give you exact advice. We would however wish you the best in your new adventure

Last edited:
I wouldn't part with £1,000's for anything unless you know you can get customers and also hack being self-employed, it's fine looking at things through rose-tinted glasses but the reality is very different and very unlike being in a PAYE job with 4 weeks paid holiday

I started with a backpack and my car to see if I liked the work and if I could gain customers. I did that for 6 months then bought a van with a system. The van makes it so much easier and quicker but at the start you will be slow anyway so a little extra time packing up into a car and filling a backpack isn't really a problem.
I would say buy a backpack, decent pole, some barrels, either a small RO/DI or buy water from Spotless, get some branded uniform, public liability insurance and some leaflets and get started from your car (add business use to the car insurance). See how you go for a couple of months then you will have more knowledge to decide on vans and systems.
The backpack and pole etc wont be wasted as I still use my backpacks with chemicals in to do gutter, soffit and fascia cleans and conny roofs etc. The only think that would be wasted is a few barrels (you might be able to get some for free at a local car wash). The small RO/DI could be a backup in future.

Iv been wanting to get started about 2 years now I finally have around 12k in a pot to get started. I was gonna wait longer but iv had enough, I work nights so will still be able to work this in till I have enough customers to quit. Just not sure if I should spend 11k on van and get backpack or should i spend 8k on something like Renault traffic, and get a complete system just wondering how some you guys done it thanks in advance

Those who have saved up and bought a yacht with the intention of sailing around the world will tell you that, if you wait until everything is perfect and ready to go, you will never leave them dock.

I realise the weather in the uk is pretty bad this year, but you need to get plans in order to start this year. We started in May which gave us longer daylight hours.
One cleaner on the other forum started off with a backpack working afternoons after work and weekends. Then he asked to go part-time and now he works full time on the glass.

I would say that if you're commited enough to save that amount of money over 2 years, then going with a van mounted system is the way to go. You can build your own van system without too much difficulty, plenty of info on YouTube. It's a good learning experience as you will know how your system works, and also how to repair it. You could do it for less that £1k.

Using a back pack and barrels is a good way to start, but is physically a lot harder. Then you've got all those first time cleans to get through. Personally, I would make things as easy as possible. Building up a round is a lot of work.

Just my thoughts...

Yeah system is what I want just means got buy older van like 15 plate I do want to go that route as not sure if backpack will really give right look
I wouldn't be thinking too much like that. I'm still using my trolley system and earning good money after nearly 5 years and my van is a 53 plate and was looking very tatty until 18 months ago when I had some work done on it and decided to tidy it up a bit. The van didn't stop me getting work and the trolley hasn't stopped me getting good results.

I'd say the main thing to consider is your aim. The aim is to make a profit, if you start out at say £12k of costs, well those costs don't stop there, it's quite surprising but when you total up all the little things it really adds up. I've just done my years accounts and the costs still surprise me even though I know what to expect.

A shiny new van doesn't make the business, nor will a van mounted system. It's your work, customer service and sales skills that make the business.

If you spend all you've got to begin with and the van then has a problem then you are suddenly looking towards credit to survive and right now credit is not the best idea.

I'd try and keep your costs down until you know for sure that you can hack it. For all you know you might hate it, it's not the most exciting of jobs and is very lonely which is why we all come on here to bounce off each other as a bit of a sounding off board. Even if you do decide you like it though, you might find that you struggle to make it work financially.

I wouldn't be thinking too much like that. I'm still using my trolley system and earning good money after nearly 5 years and my van is a 53 plate and was looking very tatty until 18 months ago when I had some work done on it and decided to tidy it up a bit. The van didn't stop me getting work and the trolley hasn't stopped me getting good results.

I'd say the main thing to consider is your aim. The aim is to make a profit, if you start out at say £12k of costs, well those costs don't stop there, it's quite surprising but when you total up all the little things it really adds up. I've just done my years accounts and the costs still surprise me even though I know what to expect.

A shiny new van doesn't make the business, nor will a van mounted system. It's your work, customer service and sales skills that make the business.

If you spend all you've got to begin with and the van then has a problem then you are suddenly looking towards credit to survive and right now credit is not the best idea.

I'd try and keep your costs down until you know for sure that you can hack it. For all you know you might hate it, it's not the most exciting of jobs and is very lonely which is why we all come on here to bounce off each other as a bit of a sounding off board. Even if you do decide you like it though, you might find that you struggle to make it work financially.
Hello chris,are you still using a trolley with barrels mate?
Does it not fry your head having to fill barrels an refill each time it runs out?
Does your trolley stay in the van or do you take it with you to each house?

Mate i would not be spending 12k on a setup an leave yourself short,you can definatley buy things seperatley an put it together for under 1k as already stated.
Unless your in a ulez area i wouldnt be buying a big fancy van either,all you need is a nice clean van wood good service history,i wouldnt be spending no more than 5k all in to start with.

Hello chris,are you still using a trolley with barrels mate?
Does it not fry your head having to fill barrels an refill each time it runs out?
Does your trolley stay in the van or do you take it with you to each house?
Yeah still use it, it's the pure freedom nano, 5 years going strong without a change of battery either.

I don't fill the barrels on the job, I just take 12 full barrels out with me, when I get to a job I'll take say two barrels out the van, have one for the trolley and the other at the back of the van on the road, then I'll do the front of the house then wheel the trolley over and switch the barrel and then do the back of the house.

You get to know how much you will need so a smaller house will only need one, a semi might be 1.5, a detached 2 to 3.

I've considered a van mount system but when I've thought it through I don't think it would be that much faster. For one I need the van for weekends so the van needs to be able to be emptied. I also think that having to reel in the hose and the constant untangling of it getting snagged on car tyres, bins etc means that it's not really much faster compared to just wheeling the trolley to the van and removing the barrel putting it in the van and then putting the trolley back in the van.

To put it another way, it probably takes me 1 minute to be set up from stopping the van and 1 minute to have it all packed away.

I can't comment on a van mount system being easier or not as I haven't tried it, but speed wise I don't think there is much in it. It is something that I'd like to try but as I say it's a case of also needing the van for other uses at the weekends.

Yeah still use it, it's the pure freedom nano, 5 years going strong without a change of battery either.

I don't fill the barrels on the job, I just take 12 full barrels out with me, when I get to a job I'll take say two barrels out the van, have one for the trolley and the other at the back of the van on the road, then I'll do the front of the house then wheel the trolley over and switch the barrel and then do the back of the house.

You get to know how much you will need so a smaller house will only need one, a semi might be 1.5, a detached 2 to 3.

I've considered a van mount system but when I've thought it through I don't think it would be that much faster. For one I need the van for weekends so the van needs to be able to be emptied. I also think that having to reel in the hose and the constant untangling of it getting snagged on car tyres, bins etc means that it's not really much faster compared to just wheeling the trolley to the van and removing the barrel putting it in the van and then putting the trolley back in the van.

To put it another way, it probably takes me 1 minute to be set up from stopping the van and 1 minute to have it all packed away.

I can't comment on a van mount system being easier or not as I haven't tried it, but speed wise I don't think there is much in it. It is something that I'd like to try but as I say it's a case of also needing the van for other uses at the weekends.
Whatever works best for you chris,hoses are a bit annoying getting caught on things,but when your doing the same round you know were to lay the hose to avoid lol
I have a small 250 litre tank in my van which i can easily lift in an out when needs be,its a flat tank so i just have it on rubbers mats to stop it from moving,i dont drive far at all all,my work is under a mile radius if even very compact.
Iv my ibc tank in yard about five foot of the ground with an inch diameter hose i pull out to fill my tank in van,no electric needed,just saves me filling barrels lol

Whatever works best for you chris,hoses are a bit annoying getting caught on things,but when your doing the same round you know were to lay the hose to avoid lol
I have a small 250 litre tank in my van which i can easily lift in an out when needs be,its a flat tank so i just have it on rubbers mats to stop it from moving,i dont drive far at all all,my work is under a mile radius if even very compact.
Iv my ibc tank in yard about five foot of the ground with an inch diameter hose i pull out to fill my tank in van,no electric needed,just saves me filling barrels lol
I think if I was to have a look at doing it, it would have to be a smaller tank that was relatively easy to remove when needing the van for other things. I might have another think about it once winter is out the way.

One thing that I don't like about the trolley is the noise of the pump. Sometimes I leave the trolley around the side of a house whilst I'm cleaning another side and you can't hear it, all I can hear is the water trickling off the glass, it's much more peaceful, lol, so I'd say one of the bigger plus points of a van mount is probably the peace and quiet.

Having said that though now that I think about it, the noise of the pump comes in handy when you have a chatty neighbour that is trying to talk to you while you're trying to clean, the noise of the pump stops them in their tracks :LOL:

I reckon having a trolley system has its perks. I was going to purchase a newer van this year but having to transfer everything from the old van ie tank etc into the new van seems like such a faff. I might just carry on with my old van for another year.

You could go down the older van route. You won’t need anywhere near 12 k to get started . My first transit connect van was £1000 , I had it 10 years then sold it for £500 still going strong. I wouldn’t recommend a back pack long term. It will knacker your back out lugging flagons of water everywhere. You can buy a decent diy system from the cleaning warehouse for £1500

I would say that if you're commited enough to save that amount of money over 2 years, then going with a van mounted system is the way to go. You can build your own van system without too much difficulty, plenty of info on YouTube. It's a good learning experience as you will know how your system works, and also how to repair it. You could do it for less that £1k.

Using a back pack and barrels is a good way to start, but is physically a lot harder. Then you've got all those first time cleans to get through. Personally, I would make things as easy as possible. Building up a round is a lot of work.

Just my thoughts...
I'm backpack only I have a tank in the van with a bilge pump and fuel delivery gun I only use rhino hose as and can join hoses to reach 60 meters.

I think using a backpack/trolley is all dependent on what type of round you have.
I cover mainly affluent areas with some massive properties. I reckon if I relied on a backpack to do these, I’d be lucky to earn two thirds of my current earnings.
I also have roads where I do virtually every house, as I’m sure some of the other long term windies on here have.
Once again, constantly filling the barrel/backpack would push me back considerably.
I originally started with a trolley from Varitech, which I still keep in the van for the odd job or if my sons mate is working with me, but could never go back to it now I’m used to a van mount ?

I think using a backpack/trolley is all dependent on what type of round you have.
I cover mainly affluent areas with some massive properties. I reckon if I relied on a backpack to do these, I’d be lucky to earn two thirds of my current earnings.
I also have roads where I do virtually every house, as I’m sure some of the other long term windies on here have.
Once again, constantly filling the barrel/backpack would push me back considerably.
I originally started with a trolley from Varitech, which I still keep in the van for the odd job or if my sons mate is working with me, but could never go back to it now I’m used to a van mount ?

I can't carry a full back pack anymore. My back is shot. ?

I can't carry a full back pack anymore. My back is shot. ?
I drove past a cleaner yesterday who is about the same age as you I think he is 73 years old and works from a car with a BP no idea how he manages to be honest he was setting up on a big detached house that would have taken quite a lot of water to clean.

Latest Posts

Back