Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

? Starting From Zero - Follow Along

WCF

Help Support WCF:

UPDATE

Been out for a few more afternoons knocking on doors. 

A lady asked for an instant quote, so I said £14.50 and she accepted. So I said I could do it right then and she agreed.

This clean was worlds apart from the last one, I'd ironed out the issues I'd had last time. It all went really well, I took my time and did a really good job. Surprised that I didn't use much water for a first clean and everything went so smoothly. The finished result was great and she seemed really happy. Definitely boosted my confidence.

Fast forward to the day after and I received a text saying she will have to cancel, because her husband wasn't happy with the price at £14.50. I'm obviously sticking to my guns on that one, I thought the price was very fair for the work done.

Seem to be experiencing quite a few of these flaky customers.

After I had done her clean, I carried on door knocking and got another potential customer, she asked for the first clean two days later, so I said no problem. But then, you guessed it, the next evening she wants to reschedule because she'll be out. I explained that she didn't have to be there for the clean but she insisted on moving it to next week, so I agreed. So we'll see if it happens, I could be wrong but I get the feeling I might be getting a text the night before and she will cancel.

Knocked a lot of doors this afternoon on a new estate. It was a tough one as someone on the estate was a WFP cleaner and he already had a lot of people.

I had two people ask for quotes but I was really unsure of the price, their houses seemed to fall between the gap between big and small, so I ended up quoting £15. Now I think I might have put them off with that price. Thought about it a lot since I got back. It's so hard to quote. I want to be competitive, but not work for peanuts obviously. My quoting skills aren't great yet. I feel like I'm struggling to get the pricing right. I'm bored without customers, I just want to get cleaning and get some money coming in. I think maybe I'm quoting too high, not sure yet.

I did have a lady asking me to quote for gutter and fascia cleaning, and I was completely stumped. I'd not even thought about that yet, so I made my excuses and told her I'd send her a quote through text. What kind of ballpark figure should I quote for that? It looks like a 3 bed semi-detatched. I have no idea. I was planning to get into doing that at a later date. 

Knocked on about 250+ doors now, so not a massive amount, but starting to find it easier and get a rhythm. Feeling a bit worried that I haven't got more customers yet. I only have 2 currently (I had 4 but 2 cancelled). Hope this snowball starts gathering speed soon.

That's tough, mate. It can be very stressful starting out. It seems that customers and prospective customers can almost smell the insecurity.

Gutter, fascia and soffit pricing : be careful. Itemise exactly what you price for. Keep a detailed record for yourself and give a detailed quote to the client. If they want gutters emptied on a standard 3 bed semi I would be charging £30~£35 front high. Same for back. About £2 or slightly more per meter for low gutter emptying. That is for emptying alone. Make sure the customer knows that as some will try to get you to clean the external included in the emptying price. Probably a slightly higher rate for soapwashes, but I price for everything included from the top down. Gfs, windows, doors.  They will often say gutter cleaning but they try not to mention fascias and soffits. Our soapwashes consist of three stages :

1/ Thorough soapwash from the top down using backpack on trolley and our normal poles and brushes. The dirt and soap will come down onto the windows and doors. We can't leave it on them. We have to wash it off so we charge accordingly. The customer is made aware of this.

2/ Thorough rinse out of soap and dirt using customer's outside supply through the same poles and brushes

3/ Pure water rinse on of the glass to finish using the same poles and brushes.

The pricing will not be so difficult as you gain experience. I reckon if you aim for £40 plus per hour starting out you will be somewhere near right. It will probably take you a while to get there but don't worry about it too much at the moment. This advice is for guidance only to give you an idea of what you might aim for. This should increase steadily over time.

Nothing is carved in stone, especially when starting and every job and every penny is more important than later when we're more established.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
UPDATE

Been out for a few more afternoons knocking on doors. 

A lady asked for an instant quote, so I said £14.50 and she accepted. So I said I could do it right then and she agreed.

This clean was worlds apart from the last one, I'd ironed out the issues I'd had last time. It all went really well, I took my time and did a really good job. Surprised that I didn't use much water for a first clean and everything went so smoothly. The finished result was great and she seemed really happy. Definitely boosted my confidence.

Fast forward to the day after and I received a text saying she will have to cancel, because her husband wasn't happy with the price at £14.50. I'm obviously sticking to my guns on that one, I thought the price was very fair for the work done.

Seem to be experiencing quite a few of these flaky customers.

After I had done her clean, I carried on door knocking and got another potential customer, she asked for the first clean two days later, so I said no problem. But then, you guessed it, the next evening she wants to reschedule because she'll be out. I explained that she didn't have to be there for the clean but she insisted on moving it to next week, so I agreed. So we'll see if it happens, I could be wrong but I get the feeling I might be getting a text the night before and she will cancel.

Knocked a lot of doors this afternoon on a new estate. It was a tough one as someone on the estate was a WFP cleaner and he already had a lot of people.

I had two people ask for quotes but I was really unsure of the price, their houses seemed to fall between the gap between big and small, so I ended up quoting £15. Now I think I might have put them off with that price. Thought about it a lot since I got back. It's so hard to quote. I want to be competitive, but not work for peanuts obviously. My quoting skills aren't great yet. I feel like I'm struggling to get the pricing right. I'm bored without customers, I just want to get cleaning and get some money coming in. I think maybe I'm quoting too high, not sure yet.

I did have a lady asking me to quote for gutter and fascia cleaning, and I was completely stumped. I'd not even thought about that yet, so I made my excuses and told her I'd send her a quote through text. What kind of ballpark figure should I quote for that? It looks like a 3 bed semi-detatched. I have no idea. I was planning to get into doing that at a later date. 

Knocked on about 250+ doors now, so not a massive amount, but starting to find it easier and get a rhythm. Feeling a bit worried that I haven't got more customers yet. I only have 2 currently (I had 4 but 2 cancelled). Hope this snowball starts gathering speed soon.
Sorry to hear this you deserve a lot better , plastic cleans on a modern 3 bed semi we charge £65 plus the windows at £15 so total of £80 did one today and charged her £95 took me 1:5 hours on my own , you don’t need to use pure water for plastics if they have a garden hose and outside tap use that . Give me a ring for a chat if you like during working hours more than happy to try and help . 

I haven't really canvassed just leafleting, due to covid.  I would say I get about 0.5 to 1% convert to jobs. On quotes I would only quote whole pounds less agro if they pay cash. I don't have much experience but most houses are different, be that number or size of windows, access, conny sides, extensions, etc. I have a set charge to turn up and then a regular, large window, or conny panel charge. 

Don't be disappointed at your canvassing results, it's a numbers game. Try a slightly different area, say bungalows, or more detached etc. It's so difficult to predict how an area will be, just try a different one. 

Above all remember do a good job, while you have few custys there is no time issue, it won't be long before your confidence builds and custys pick up on that! Be confident you can do a good job, smile, and never be afraid to say you can't do something. 

Good luck and keep us informed. 

Don’t get too despondent, starting out is tough. 
Stress when you price a job, that your including the frames , sills, and doors in the price. 
Avoid 50p ‘s.
Appear professional, just say you’ve picked up a few houses nearby, so you thought you’d try and get a few more. 

Think outside the box.I clean windows in one cul de sac, there are about 100 houses, I clean about 40 of them. 
It’s Prime window cleaning, 3/4 bed detached houses, £20-£30 each. 
I reckon there are at least 10-12 window cleaners who work the same estate. 
They pull up do 1 or 2 houses and then clear off. 
It’s constantly being canvassed, so it’s a complete waste of time for anybody to canvass. I haven’t had a walk up in ages. 

The road it comes off of, is a main Rd, it has no path on one side and you’d have to park in their drives. 
I’ve picked up 6 houses along there through walk ups and recommendations. I bet if I canvassed the whole lot I’d get another 6 - 10 too , as nobody bothers to canvass it. 
Yes it’s a bit more fiddly, but if your canvassing you clearly need work. 
 So you need to find places that don’t get canvassed. 
 Hope you get on ok??
Don’t give up. 

I haven't really canvassed just leafleting, due to covid.  I would say I get about 0.5 to 1% convert to jobs. On quotes I would only quote whole pounds less agro if they pay cash. I don't have much experience but most houses are different, be that number or size of windows, access, conny sides, extensions, etc. I have a set charge to turn up and then a regular, large window, or conny panel charge. 

Don't be disappointed at your canvassing results, it's a numbers game. Try a slightly different area, say bungalows, or more detached etc. It's so difficult to predict how an area will be, just try a different one. 

Above all remember do a good job, while you have few custys there is no time issue, it won't be long before your confidence builds and custys pick up on that! Be confident you can do a good job, smile, and never be afraid to say you can't do something. 

Good luck and keep us informed. 
Thanks for the advice. I'm still going, like everyone says, it'll take time. I'm not in a rush.

I'm getting some interest as I'm canvassing, but I think I'm going in too expensive on the price. Especially seeing as I am just starting and need the work. I've canvassed 300 houses now and I have currently gained 4 customers from that. Two then cancelled, so I have two left. Which is so far about 0.66% conversion rate. 

I am considering telling people that I would normally charge a certain amount and reducing the price by 10-20%, just to get some customers on the books. I have the disadvantage of not having a van currently so I think that hurts how professional I look (I am starting to look into buying a second hand one). But I need to start making some money on the days I have available for window cleaning so I can start saving the approximately £2k I need to add to money I have saved. Then I should be able to buy a second hand van and system. 

After reading this forum, I know that dropping prices isn't usually encouraged. I don't want to de-value the work and I would never undercut if a customer already has a window cleaner. But I feel I need to reduce them slightly to get a foothold and start building my business. 

What are peoples opinions on this?

Thanks for the advice. I'm still going, like everyone says, it'll take time. I'm not in a rush.

I'm getting some interest as I'm canvassing, but I think I'm going in too expensive on the price. Especially seeing as I am just starting and need the work. I've canvassed 300 houses now and I have currently gained 4 customers from that. Two then cancelled, so I have two left. Which is so far about 0.66% conversion rate. 

I am considering telling people that I would normally charge a certain amount and reducing the price by 10-20%, just to get some customers on the books. I have the disadvantage of not having a van currently so I think that hurts how professional I look (I am starting to look into buying a second hand one). But I need to start making some money on the days I have available for window cleaning so I can start saving the approximately £2k I need to add to money I have saved. Then I should be able to buy a second hand van and system. 

After reading this forum, I know that dropping prices isn't usually encouraged. I don't want to de-value the work and I would never undercut if a customer already has a window cleaner. But I feel I need to reduce them slightly to get a foothold and start building my business. 

What are peoples opinions on this?
It’s a very difficult situation only you can decide what’s best to do , I am very surprised to be honest as I think ware you are isn’t a poor area ?? I don’t understand why you are getting so little interest how many other cleaners are in your area ?? Can you find out what they are charging ??

Don’t get too despondent, starting out is tough. 
Stress when you price a job, that your including the frames , sills, and doors in the price. 
Avoid 50p ‘s.
Appear professional, just say you’ve picked up a few houses nearby, so you thought you’d try and get a few more. 

Think outside the box.I clean windows in one cul de sac, there are about 100 houses, I clean about 40 of them. 
It’s Prime window cleaning, 3/4 bed detached houses, £20-£30 each. 
I reckon there are at least 10-12 window cleaners who work the same estate. 
They pull up do 1 or 2 houses and then clear off. 
It’s constantly being canvassed, so it’s a complete waste of time for anybody to canvass. I haven’t had a walk up in ages. 

The road it comes off of, is a main Rd, it has no path on one side and you’d have to park in their drives. 
I’ve picked up 6 houses along there through walk ups and recommendations. I bet if I canvassed the whole lot I’d get another 6 - 10 too , as nobody bothers to canvass it. 
Yes it’s a bit more fiddly, but if your canvassing you clearly need work. 
 So you need to find places that don’t get canvassed. 
 Hope you get on ok??
Don’t give up. 

Thanks for the advice. Like you say, it might be a good idea to think outside of the box. I'll try my best.

Yes, I definitely need the work, I need houses to work on to gain more experience. I've done mine to death! I need some momentum in starting. I don't want to rush anything, but it definitely feels super slow currently. I'll obviously keep going though

Thanks for the advice. Like you say, it might be a good idea to think outside of the box. I'll try my best.

Yes, I definitely need the work, I need houses to work on to gain more experience. I've done mine to death! I need some momentum in starting. I don't want to rush anything, but it definitely feels super slow currently. I'll obviously keep going though
Should have moved down hear you could have had a ready made round ???

It’s a very difficult situation only you can decide what’s best to do , I am very surprised to be honest as I think ware you are isn’t a poor area ?? I don’t understand why you are getting so little interest how many other cleaners are in your area ?? Can you find out what they are charging ??
I am a little surprised too, Its definitely not a poor area. If the people say they have a windy, I ask them (just out of interest) how much they charge. So I know I'm in the right area generally on pricing (there are some odd cheap prices that come up). I think I might be too high slightly as I'd probably rather have the work. I just want to clean more houses, get experience and a little cash to go towards my van / setup. That's the main goal right now. 

I'm considering the area might have a high amount of competition, there are a lot of different companies operating here. I make a note of them when people tell me, or if I see their van. 

Should have moved down hear you could have had a ready made round ???
Haha, we were considering Cornwall too. Gutted! Haha. If only it was a little bit closer I'd commute.

I'm sure I'll crack it at some point even if the competition is high, I'll just have to raise my game then. Just trying to look professional in my car is difficult!

The 2 that you lost probably only wanted 1 clean and will probably ring you back when their windows are filthy again. Try and keep a count of the ones that actually ask you for a price and then calculate this conversion percentage to determine if you're price is to high. Try your luck in the smaller villages as well, see how you get on there.

The 2 that you lost probably only wanted 1 clean and will probably ring you back when their windows are filthy again. Try and keep a count of the ones that actually ask you for a price and then calculate this conversion percentage to determine if you're price is to high. Try your luck in the smaller villages as well, see how you get on there.
Great idea. I am keeping track of quotes and customers. I had a look recently and if I was getting 60% of the work I was quoting I'd be happy. But unfortunately I'm getting much lower than that. 

According to what I have written, I've quoted 12 people and currently have 2 active customers. So I think that's 16% success. Which I realise is too low (although I've just started so maybe thats due to the small amount of data). If I had 60% of what I quoted I'd have about 7 customers, which I would be happy with this far along. 

It's all a learning curve I know. I think I will just reduce what I'm quoting slightly, just because I want more work and I hardly have any. I can then keep track of the quotes/wins ratio as I canvass more. 

Weather is absolutely s**t today though, I'm soaked ?

Haha, we were considering Cornwall too. Gutted! Haha. If only it was a little bit closer I'd commute.

I'm sure I'll crack it at some point even if the competition is high, I'll just have to raise my game then. Just trying to look professional in my car is difficult!
When you are canvassing how do people know you are using a car? Even when quoting I will often park the car a little down the street. You need come across as professional, ask the customer what they want and listen, then tell them how you are going to clean, wfp, pure (so no stains, streaks, etc, dries clear), clean glass frames, sills, doors etc. I would say maybe tweak your price a little so you win 80% of quotes, I leave them with the quote even if they say no. On the odd occasion they still come back to me.

When leaflet dropping I wear my logo'd 'uniform' and when I see the odd person I simply ask them if they have a regular window cleaner? If they say yes, then sometimes I hand them a leaflet and simply say if they ever don't turn up for a few months let me know and wish them a good day. If they say no I say would you like me to give you a quote now? Do the quote and give them a card with the price on. Then say I can fit you in on x day (usually within a day or so), would you like me to add you to my round? Compliment them on their garden, pets location of house etc... Be cheerful. It's a numbers game, sometimes changing where you are canvassing by half a mile brings better results.

Great idea. I am keeping track of quotes and customers. I had a look recently and if I was getting 60% of the work I was quoting I'd be happy. But unfortunately I'm getting much lower than that. 

According to what I have written, I've quoted 12 people and currently have 2 active customers. So I think that's 16% success. Which I realise is too low (although I've just started so maybe thats due to the small amount of data). If I had 60% of what I quoted I'd have about 7 customers, which I would be happy with this far along. 

It's all a learning curve I know. I think I will just reduce what I'm quoting slightly, just because I want more work and I hardly have any. I can then keep track of the quotes/wins ratio as I canvass more. 

Weather is absolutely s**t today though, I'm soaked ?
Keep positive, it will come to you. Have you tired Chivenor industrial estate, the holiday lettings companies, pixie Lane and the top of sharlands and Staunton Park. That's a good area 

Keep positive, it will come to you. Have you tired Chivenor industrial estate, the holiday lettings companies, pixie Lane and the top of sharlands and Staunton Park. That's a good area 
Thanks, I'm keeping going and being positive. I'm glad Im not rushed and I think i just need more time to dial in prices and my experience / skill with getting customers. 

No, I don't think I've tried any of those yet. I've been round that newish estate at Chivenor. It wasn't great as there is a guy who works out of there. 

I'll have a look at the ones you mentioned and put them on my list. Thanks for the tips ?

Hey keep going with what you are doing. I'm about 8 months in from starting from scratch also. apart from some great advice on here i've just learned everything as i've gone along.

The lack of customers can be disheartening. But the more you are out the more you are seen. The first few months can be tough but that is normal when starting out. I've had a few come up to me while i'm working and ask for a quote. I've also been lucky and had a few recommendations which led to 2 extra customers.

Things I've learned.

Never quote on the phone.

I live in a new build area where there are about 3000 houses. And i know most of the styles of house. However i had a call from a couple that said they had a 3 bedroom house. So in my head i thought i knew the style of house and gave them a price over the phone, and booked them in for a few days later. When i turned up it was a big L shape house. I did say to them i thought it was just a standard 3 bed like x so i said it would be a bit more it should have been 25/30 but i quoted £15 so said would be £18 as i felt bad changing the price, as i was only a few weeks in starting out. they actually bank transfer me £20 and are regular customers that have recommended me to 2 other. regulars.

The add on story to this was one of the other customers recommended me and it was a 3 bed L shape i've now learned there are only 3 of them 3 bed L shapes on the estate most are 4/5 bed.

So i turned up and looked at it and straight away £30 so i quoted the wife and she was fine. Then that evening i got a text from the husband asking why its £30 when my other customer is paying £18 he texted him to ask after i quoted Ha. So i explained exactly why and that i now don't quote over the phone. he understood and we agreed on £30 for first clean and £25 regular.

I also started out with just a Gardner backpack.(still have it as my backup) And 25lr containers x 12 i was lucky as i already have a Citroen nemo van for fishing.

I built a little pump toolbox (i'll try and find the thread and post it here.)only cost me about £30 to build and i bought 50mtr hose and reel. so i just put one end in the 25lt container and the other connects to hose reel. I also treated myself to a OneShot remote about £55 its a great piece of kit, i can now work anywhere and turn on and off the pump with the remote around my neck, so i have almost the same set up as a static tank but with the benefit of being able to empty the van.

I have done a few Soffits and Facias. again the new builds have this white box section. I charge £15 per side. normally just front and back are needed to be cleaned. so £30.

All my prices are' 15 20 25 30 35

I'm learning with the texting customers.

When i first started i would text would you like your windows cleaned. bad idea

Now i text i've booked you in for your window clean. I also use to give a time 930/10am i stopped doing as i'd have people try and change from 10 to 11 big headache. So now i just say AM/PM. As i don't have loads of customers all my work in AM.

Keep it up you'll get there ? 

Here is the thread for the Delivery system Toolbox i built

@JEM Thanks for that detailed post mate, some really helpful tips there.

As for an update, things are going OK, I'm definitely improving in my technique. (still got a long way to go) but I'm a lot better now. I just need to get a bit quicker, but I think working out of a car and with a backpack and barrels has something to do with that.

Still looking around at vans, I don't quite have the money saved yet for one, and I don't really have many customers to justify it. But i'm trying to save in any way that I can. I will have less childcare responsibilities from Jan onwards, so I should be able to save much more.

Still taking too long on first cleans, need to get my time down to 45mins MAX. 

Here's a good question! I need to protect my gardiner backpack from the rain, how do other people do that? I need a plastic cover or something. I've been looking around but not seen anything that looks professional-ish. Any ideas?

I'm still out flyering whenever I can, I am actually enjoying walking every street in my area, because I'm new here it's meaning I get to know everything and meet lots of people! haha.

As for an update, things are going OK, I'm definitely improving in my technique. (still got a long way to go) but I'm a lot better now. I just need to get a bit quicker, but I think working out of a car and with a backpack and barrels has something to do with that.

Still looking around at vans, I don't quite have the money saved yet for one, and I don't really have many customers to justify it. But i'm trying to save in any way that I can. I will have less childcare responsibilities from Jan onwards, so I should be able to save much more.

Here's a good question! I need to protect my gardiner backpack from the rain, how do other people do that? I need a plastic cover or something. I've been looking around but not seen anything that looks professional-ish. Any ideas?

I'm still out flyering whenever I can, I am actually enjoying walking every street in my area, because I'm new here it's meaning I get to know everything and meet lots of people! haha.
Within reason a bit of water shouldn’t hurt the backpack we have never covered any of ours and not had any problems .

There you go Gavin. There's a top tip for you 

Waterproof Bag Cover - 26L-40L High Visibility Rucksack Rain Cover - Waterproof Backpack Cover with Reflective Tape for Hiking, Traveling, Camping, Trekking and Outdoor Activities https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08P25CTGN/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_68MCZ56NBARBABGM7KPV

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Back