Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Pure water storage

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Sunlight will speed up algae growth, and in the long run bacteria growth.

Just make sure you empty the barrels every now and then so you completely replace the water and you should be good. A dash of clorine from time to time cleaning the barrels is probably a good idea, I'm not good at it myself.

Ok i'm not into the science of this but if water is put into a clean, sealed container how on earth is Algae going to grow in there? If they are being used to fill a backpack etc then they will be emptied regularly and refilled... Personally I would not start messing with chlorine to clean then but I would give them a little swill with some pure now and again.

Sunlight will eventually break the barrels down and they would start to leak from the seal of the barrel. I would personally cover them with a tarp or similar, other than that I can't see what issues you would face.

Ok i'm not into the science of this but if water is put into a clean, sealed container how on earth is Algae going to grow in there? If they are being used to fill a backpack etc then they will be emptied regularly and refilled... Personally I would not start messing with chlorine to clean then but I would give them a little swill with some pure now and again.

Because our water is not clean, as in sterile. We remove minerals, but not bacteria.

Which is why you should not drink from your water tank.

Because our water is not clean, as in sterile. We remove minerals, but not bacteria.

Which is why you should not drink from your water tank.
There you go, I learned something new today..... Never been tempted to drink from the tank but it begs the question, if I am using tap water and removing minerals, not adding anything to it, why can't I drink it? Again, i'm not going to try it, just interested to know why...

if I am using tap water and removing minerals, not adding anything to it, why can't I drink it? Again, i'm not going to try it, just interested to know why...

It's not the water itself that's the issue. I don't have any problem taking a swig off the RO output myself, it doesn't taste of much though since it has no minerals in it. After all, it's just tap water, that has been purified, and the tap water is carefully measured by your local water board (or whatever it's called) to ensure it's not harmful. They add chlorine to it do kill bacteria.

The issue is the storage tank or barrels, and said algae buildup due to sunlight as well as random gunk that thrives. The water gets stale.

As in, you would never drink from a forest lake with stale water and no water flow, as the water is contaminated.

Back