Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Question re water meter

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Supremely

Hi Recently moved from RV to a water meter, did I imagine it or did I read on here that there is way if you contact your water board they will install something that will help you with your bill for business use only? TIA

Hi Recently moved from RV to a water meter, did I imagine it or did I read on here that there is way if you contact your water board they will install something that will help you with your bill for business use only? TIA
The only things water boards across the country issue to help save water are pathetic stickers you put in your toilet to detect leaks or instructions on how to reduce the fill level of your cistern

I've been on a water meter for 20 years and like everything work related charge your water use into your work and price structure

Have you not got a spotless water near you?

You have to speak to your water authority to find out how they deal with window cleaners on a meter.
Generally, the first thing to do is find another windie who is claiming a refund and apply using his model.

It's all to do with the sewage element of the cost of water.

You will have to fit an approved water meter on your r/o and provide monthly meter readings.

As @Pjj says, for approval you need to consider various options which have been discussed many times.

Search for 'submeter' and 'sewage'.

Last edited:
You have to speak to your water authority to find out how they deal with window cleaners on a meter.
Generally, the first thing to do is find another windie who is claiming a refund and apply using his model.

It's all to do with the sewage element of the cost of water.

You will have to fit an approved water meter on your r/o and provide monthly meter readings.

As @Pjj says, for approval you need to consider various options which have been discussed many times.

Search for 'submeter' and 'sewage'.
This is a good reply! Sums it up nicely

With Spotless you know exactly what each litre of water costs, even though it's not the cheapest method of acquiring pure water.

I don't know what the latest cost per litre from Spotless is, but if it's 5p a litre and an average 3 bed semi takes between 20 and 25 litres, then that would equate to around £1.00 to £1.25. But that's only part of the expenses we incur cleaning a house.

If you are in an area in the south where you can command a higher rate, then that Spotless charge could be less significant than up north, where things are much different.

The positive about buying from Spotless is you don't have the hassle of running an r/o and storing pure water. The negatives are that a Spotless system may not be conveniently situated for you. Our closest one is 8 miles away, for example.

With Spotless you know exactly what each litre of water costs, even though it's not the cheapest method of acquiring pure water.

I don't know what the latest cost per litre from Spotless is, but if it's 5p a litre and an average 3 bed semi takes between 20 and 25 litres, then that would equate to around £1.00 to £1.25. But that's only part of the expenses we incur cleaning a house.

If you are in an area in the south where you can command a higher rate, then that Spotless charge could be less significant than up north, where things are much different.

The positive about buying from Spotless is you don't have the hassle of running an r/o and storing pure water. The negatives are that a Spotless system may not be conveniently situated for you. Our closest one is 8 miles away, for example.
I'd love to have a spotless water site in North Devon. We haven't anything like that.

Since I moved from a 4 bedroom home to first floor flat I'm having to DI on demand and having to run a hose pipe through my lounge out of the window and our into the carpark

Thanks to all who have responded, I shall do a good research on this site as recommended, as for spotless water situ I do have a RO/DI system on board so that's not a consideration at this time however as I have used it previously I can see the cost benefit once using it on a job(s) however my nearest one has closed not long ago and the nearest one now is quite some distance from me so even from that point of view is not doable at least not at the moment.

Thanks to all who have responded, I shall do a good research on this site as recommended, as for spotless water situ I do have a RO/DI system on board so that's not a consideration at this time however as I have used it previously I can see the cost benefit once using it on a job(s) however my nearest one has closed not long ago and the nearest one now is quite some distance from me so even from that point of view is not doable at least not at the moment.
Having an on-board r/o and di would make claiming a sewage rebate much more difficult, imho. The first consideration will be how you will 'dispose' of your waste water. It's going to be easier to set up a claim for a static system which is all plumbed in. If your waste is going into a soak away, then you are more likely able to claim a sewage rebate on all your r/o water. But with an on-board r/o you can't prove that you will always use a soak away. You might be able to claim a rebate on the amount of pure you use, again using a water authority approved water meter.

I have heard of some areas where they actually send out an inspector to assess your set up before agreeing to a rebate.

How big the soak away is, is another consideration. We dispose of more waste water than we produce pure. Will the soak away actually absorb the amount of water we dispose of every day? Will the water authority question that as well?
There is a window cleaner who posts on here who had to make a soak away to a given size by his water authority before they would agree to a rebate.

Is it worth the trouble? We had an incidence in our area where our water authority (Northumbrian Water) refused any rebate on sewage, and if the applicant wasn't happy with their decision, he was welcome to complain to his MP. Then the suggestion was that as a business owner using water as part of his business needs, they would put him on business water rates.

Spotless definitely has the convenience especially if you have to run hoses through windows etc but on cost it is much more expensive way of doing things. I’m double di and it probably costs me around £3.50 a day in resin. If I was using spotless it would be £20 a day. I can’t remember what the costs are for RO as it’s a few years since I used to do that.

Depending on how much water you produce, soak aways are fine in summer. I had many a flooding problem during winter though.
😅

We flooded our neighbour's back garden. Our garden was dry, but the water reappeared in his garden which is at a lower level. :)
We still clean their windows. He just thought we left the hose running by mistake.

Thanks for that insight Spruce yes we do use a soak away its a large 4 bed semi so a fair size, I need to do some research thanks again.
My suggestion is go carefully when making initial enquiries. Don't give the water authority too much info about yourself. The less the better. Start as a hypothetical enquiry.

While most are always very helpful, you could come across and old grump who could make your life difficult. This is why I suggest you find someone who is already claiming a rebate. If they have approved him with whatever conditions, then that's an approval lever for you.

We had one of those grumps in the planning office of our local council. He just rejected everything. You then had to argue that you have copied the extension of the next door neighbour which the council granted approval for. It's was always messy dealing with him.

I'd love to have a spotless water site in North Devon. We haven't anything like that.

Since I moved from a 4 bedroom home to first floor flat I'm having to DI on demand and having to run a hose pipe through my lounge out of the window and our into the carpark

I'm the opposite.im moving from a 1st floor flat into a 4 bed house soon.conveniently it has an outside tap right outside the kitchen window onto a fairly large driveway(we can fit 4 cars on it).no water meter either.

Only downside is the tap tds is around 127(mine is 024)so a big increase in resin costs.i think I'll give it a year and see how much it costs DI only and I might have to get an RO although I'll try and avoid that altogether if possible....

I'm the opposite.im moving from a 1st floor flat into a 4 bed house soon.conveniently it has an outside tap right outside the kitchen window onto a fairly large driveway(we can fit 4 cars on it).no water meter either.

Only downside is the tap tds is around 127(mine is 024)so a big increase in resin costs.i think I'll give it a year and see how much it costs DI only and I might have to get an RO although I'll try and avoid that altogether if possible....
I've never used a DI in my life as my Devon tap water is 57ppm

Latest Posts

Back