Removal of Solaire, safety film? It's a b******

Discussion in 'Traditional Window Cleaning' started by Hanco13, Mar 31, 2015.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Hanco13

Hanco13 Member

Hi all, I'm new to this forum so please bear with me.

I've just started a new job this week that I've picked up. It's quite a large primary school and it's all lower level windows, so I'm doing it all trad. The deputy headmistress (MILF) , said when I was quoting up, that a few of the windows have an anti-glare film on them and she would like it removing where possible.

I tried pulling some of it off on the day and although it was hard to 'start it off', once I prised away one corner, it seemed to come off easily enough. I noticed that once I had pulled the anti-glare film off the glass, it left quite a lot of the sticky stuff it had been stuck with behind on the glass.

I was hoping that it would just be a case of soaping up with my applicator and then using my safety scraper to remove the gunk. Ohhhhh no!..... It's a bloody nightmare. This glue/adhesive is very stubborn and it's taking a hell of a lot of scraping. In fact it's going to more than double the amount of time I'm on the job.

It needs to come off because it's still tacky and in a month or so time, all the dust and **** is just gonna stick to it, making the job look like a right F*** up. I guess it's similar to the adhesive that's left behind when removing sellotape from glass, but it's a lot tougher to get off!

I just wondered if anybody could suggest an additive or agent which, when applied to the windows in question, might soften this adhesive prior to me scraping it?

The film itself is called 'Solaire Safety Film'.

Anyway, sorry for rambling on, thanks in advance!

Lloydy Boy ✊

Advertisement
  2. Green Pro Clean Ltd

Solvent remover, nail polish remover,

To remove safety film I warm it with a hair dryer (the wifes) and it peels easy, still got to use a solvent remover though.

Welcome to the nut house!

3. Hanco13

Hanco13 Member

Cheers Green.

As for the solvent remover mate, what would you suggest?

4. Hanco13

Hanco13 Member

Bearing in mind I'm gonna need quite a bit of the stuff

5. Smurf

Smurf Banned

6. Hanco13

Hanco13 Member

Ay Smurf, I like the look of that stuff.

I've got some oven cleaner/de greaser kicking about somewhere, I wonder if that might have a similar effect?

7. Hanco13

Hanco13 Member

Ay Smurf, I like the look of that stuff.

I've got some oven cleaner/de greaser kicking about somewhere, I wonder if that might have a similar effect?

8. Smurf

Smurf Banned

would probably work but not sure if that would stink the place out though

9. WWC

WWC Well-Known Member

Tec 7 make a spray on solvent cleaner that works on glue remnants, available from B&Q and builders supplies stores. HG make "sticky stuff remover " that will also do a good job. My current glue remover is "Everbuild pvc solvent cleaner"

With any of these, apply then leave for a few minutes before scraping with a clean blade.

10. Hanco13

Hanco13 Member

Lol. The films are all on the outsides of the windows Smurf, so I'd get away with it. Going to give it a go today and will post the results later.

Advertisement