Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Replacement O ring seals

WCF

Help Support WCF:

You need the pure freedom stainless steel reels not that rubbish ???????
They do look spot on. To be honest though I wonder if the waterworks ones are better value. They’re simpler and half the price of these expensive ones. Having said that if they’re available at WCW I could be persuaded to try them next Black Friday!

Yeah we changed them over yesterday morning. Royal Mail only turn up once a week here so they took an age.
Thanks, mate, I have neither got around to ordering any yet nor had a proper look for the ones I bought back in 2019 I have a big sort out in the garage today so will have a look first but good to know they fit as mine could be coming up to needing changing.

? Royal Mail ain't that bad I don't find, but we have decent posties who know where to leave stuff instead of having to drive 3 miles to pick up a parcel

Either the spindle is bent or the rotary joint is incorrectly made. With that much movement it will as you say fail again. If the reel is less than 2 years old I would have a chat with the supplier!
I’m in an email back and forth with the supplier (who as always shall remain nameless). I have sent these vids but not really had a response about the bounce on the reel. The bearings aren’t touching the belt at the top but are at the bottom. I’m trying remote tech support first as I’m told that if they find no fault or a fault my end when they arrive I will be charged a call out fee plus labour.

I managed to get independent support on the elbow fitting which is how I found the O ring was at fault. The manufacturer recommended I buy an upgraded elbow (one for pressure washing) after seeing the video of it leaking. They say the upgraded seals on the other elbow would last longer. The independent chap popped the circlip off and went straight for the seals. His attitude was why replace something without working out why it failed, this is what main dealers do to vehicles because they employ fitters instead of mechanics.

Thanks, mate, I have neither got around to ordering any yet nor had a proper look for the ones I bought back in 2019 I have a big sort out in the garage today so will have a look first but good to know they fit as mine could be coming up to needing changing.

? Royal Mail ain't that bad I don't find, but we have decent posties who know where to leave stuff instead of having to drive 3 miles to pick up a parcel
We’re on a new build so don’t have a regular postie. They seem to change by the week. There was a decent fella a while back but they took him off to do something else. People round here were still getting Xmas cards mid January after the strikes.

We’re on a new build so don’t have a regular postie. They seem to change by the week. There was a decent fella a while back but they took him off to do something else. People round here were still getting Xmas cards mid January after the strikes.
We have a regular postie but when we didn't we got to know the lads who were chopping and changing we have had a few permanent posties that got moved onto other rounds, even when I use Google Pay to pay for something online and I forget it has our old address down for delivery that for some reason I can't change they make sure we get it but we only moved 150 metres from our last house

I'm sure that off centre rotation won't help your wear situation.
Please tell us what size o rings did you find worked?
I rather stupidly didn't think this a problem. My old power up HD reels were a little wonky and it never bothered me. Even when it started to leak I didn't twig. As soon as the independent fella said about it I realised.

It was 14.5mm x 3mm. I've just washed the car and rinsed it off, still no leaks this morning.

I’m in an email back and forth with the supplier (who as always shall remain nameless). I have sent these vids but not really had a response about the bounce on the reel. The bearings aren’t touching the belt at the top but are at the bottom. I’m trying remote tech support first as I’m told that if they find no fault or a fault my end when they arrive I will be charged a call out fee plus labour.

I managed to get independent support on the elbow fitting which is how I found the O ring was at fault. The manufacturer recommended I buy an upgraded elbow (one for pressure washing) after seeing the video of it leaking. They say the upgraded seals on the other elbow would last longer. The independent chap popped the circlip off and went straight for the seals. His attitude was why replace something without working out why it failed, this is what main dealers do to vehicles because they employ fitters instead of mechanics.
I would say first thing to do is see if you can lift the spindle up or down (it might be easier with the hose reeled out, so less weight). If there is 'play' in the bearing that could allow the spindle to move up and down. Maybe you could rest one end of a steel rule on the spindle and the other end on something fixed and rotate the spindle, that would show the spindle moving up and down. If it doesn't move up and down you might be able to rest it on the outer circular bit of the rotary joint and see if that has vertical movement.

I might be inclined to pop into a local pressure washing or hydraulics place to see what rotary joints they have and see how much they are. Getting someone out to have a look could potentially be expensive as if they say it's not a manufacturing fault they will make you pay!

I would say first thing to do is see if you can lift the spindle up or down (it might be easier with the hose reeled out, so less weight). If there is 'play' in the bearing that could allow the spindle to move up and down. Maybe you could rest one end of a steel rule on the spindle and the other end on something fixed and rotate the spindle, that would show the spindle moving up and down. If it doesn't move up and down you might be able to rest it on the outer circular bit of the rotary joint and see if that has vertical movement.

I might be inclined to pop into a local pressure washing or hydraulics place to see what rotary joints they have and see how much they are. Getting someone out to have a look could potentially be expensive as if they say it's not a manufacturing fault they will make you pay!
It's all good, they have agreed to some and sort some other bits. I think even an unreasonable supplier would be hard pressed to try and charge someone a call out fee when they're already there. I did my best to show the bounce on the elbow and took the whole reel off to show it while spinning also in these vids.

PowerUP HD Rubber O Rings - Waterworks Window Cleaning for a pack of Five £19.14 delivered as it's £6.95 for DPD delivery, alternatively ProLoc Hose Reel Inlet | Window Cleaning Hose & Reels - Window Cleaning Warehouse Ltd and change the whole thing but that's only if you were also needing to order a few other bits and pieces
Just thought I'd follow up on this as mine started leaking yesterday, I couldn't find the O rings I bought years ago from WaterWorks but when you take apart the elbow on the PowerUp reel what is revealed is a fitting which looks very much like a 1/2" hozelock type fitting with two O rings so I thought and found a garden tap fitting took the O ring off that and hey presto it's worked so a very quick fix.

It started leaking again yesterday ? maybe the cheap O rings aren't up to the job as they are possibly getting compressed quite quickly I found some online for peanuts but also discovered that some are made from EPDM which seems to be the most common and found a supplier that there's are made from Nitrile NBR Rubber but the sizes either aren't given or they are just rounded up numbers in centimetres so struggling to find the exact size to buy some better replacement and not have my eyes taken out,

@ched999uk any chance you can use that fancy calliper of yours and measure an O ring of a garden hose fitting, please ?

It started leaking again yesterday ? maybe the cheap O rings aren't up to the job as they are possibly getting compressed quite quickly I found some online for peanuts but also discovered that some are made from EPDM which seems to be the most common and found a supplier that there's are made from Nitrile NBR Rubber but the sizes either aren't given or they are just rounded up numbers in centimetres so struggling to find the exact size to buy some better replacement and not have my eyes taken out,

@ched999uk any chance you can use that fancy calliper of yours and measure an O ring of a garden hose fitting, please ?

I will try and remember, although I have a brain like a sieve sometimes, if I don't post measurements just remind me.
I have some brand new ones so that's probably best to measure those.

I will try and remember, although I have a brain like a sieve sometimes, if I don't post measurements just remind me.
I have some brand new ones so that's probably best to measure those.
Brain like a sieve that makes two of us ?

If you can remember it would be greatly appreciated, I have found a good website which sells the nrb O rings which might be better suited for the job

Back