RO or twin DI cheaper?

Discussion in 'Water Fed Pole Cleaning' started by timbeam, Feb 2, 2014.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. timbeam

timbeam Active Member

My tds is around 100 and I currently run twin DIs. I was planning on adding a RO into my system but got to thinking...

When you take into account cost of water, filters, membranes etc, would it be any cheaper to run a RO system over twin DIs?

I'm not convinced it would be any cheaper. Thoughts?

Thanks all.

Advertisement
  2. Duncs

Duncs Grand Master

your TDS is not that high using twin DI is the way I would go .
    I have RO there is a lot of time spent perifying the water
    does your twin DI not last for ages with your readings so low

3. timbeam

timbeam Active Member

I have two 11 litre vessels and I get about 4000 litres of pure before my tds starts to creep up.

I starting to think it might be best to stick with twin DIs for now.

I wonder at what tds it definitely becomes worthwhile introducing a RO?

The annoying thing with my water is the tds can vary anywhere from 70 to 180!

4. Smurf

Smurf Banned

I would still use an ro myself as I'm lucky enough not to be on a water meter. I would have thought when you start getting through loads of pure the resin costs will spiral so would work out much dearer than usin a ro.

Here is a link to a di resin calc just to give you some idea of running costs using a di only system. Have a play and you will so see it's not cheap using just di resin producing large amounts of pure each month. http://www.gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/acatalog/De-Ionisation_Calculator.html

5. Duncs

Duncs Grand Master

have you read spruces threads they are all switched on with the RO

6. timbeam

timbeam Active Member

Cheers guys.

I already knew about that calculator smurf, handy tool. Problem is it is based on just a single DI setup.

I know what you're saying regarding spiralling costs but surely if the tds remains constant (which admittedly mine doesn't) then the cost per litre to produce pure, whether by RO or not would remain constant also.

Don't have the link handy but if you Google RO costs, RO Man has broken down the costs of running a RO system and it's not as cheap as you might think.

7. keir

keir Guru

Personally ro is the way forward, my tds is alot lower than yours but i still use ro, just posted on patricks thread confused.com check it out

8. timbeam

timbeam Active Member

Thanks guys, it's all food for thought. I guess I just wish there was more of a definitive answer.

At my tds and on a water meter it's not clear which the cheapest route is.

9. steve32

steve32 Member

I'm 110-120 and I use twin 25ltr vessels only, I get a fair bit more out of it than that table says. I change my resin once a month but run it up until 10 before I change. Some will say 10 is to high but I've tested it on my own windows and checked customers windows and they are spotless, so I'm not going to throw loads of good water/resin down the drain when I don't need to. It costs me 70quid a month but I find it Easier, plus I'm on a meter. And the earnings that 70quid generates makes it seem like money will spent, when taking into account the ease and quickness of running two di vessels with no waste water. Each to their own and both have pros and cons. But the twin di vessels works for me and makes my day a bit easier.

10. Smurf

Smurf Banned

As you are on a water meter then I would advise to get a high production 4040 ro if going down the ro route as would take alot less time to fill your tanks than a smaller ro which uses alot more water.

Advertisement