Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

rubbish weather Christmas rush!!

WCF

Help Support WCF:

When I advertise my round to a customer I say it is a 4-6 weekly round, dependant on weather and other factors. Its a throwback to handyman work where I would have a painting job on that would keep me busy for a week or more, and its not worth turning down for the windows. Only one customer noticed that I wasnt as regular as she liked but I still have them now. The irregular window cleaners that people moan about are not the bloke that is a week behind, or even 2 weeks behind. The ones that people moan about are the ones that come twice in a month, and then not seen for 2 or 3 months. Virtually no one cares if you are a week or two late, and if they do, then its probably because you have conditioned them to be that way, which just makes life hard on yourself.

Had a few customers say that. Old cleaner used to come round every 3 -4 weeks when they asked for 6 weeks!!

I have gone through a stressful time. Not ONE comment asking why I am late etc.

Of course but I ensure I either have someone cover my round or in the least have the decency to tell customers that I will be away so they won't get cleaned next time see you in two months.
Also you mention not getting paid 2 or 3 times previously in this thread for a couple of weeks. That has nothing to do with it.

If the customers on holiday I would rather they are owing me money when they return than not at all. You must only clean in brill sunshine when the customer is stood at the door waving cash in your face @Posh.

Yesterday I go on a clean. Man of the house comes to the door tells me wife is on holiday with daughters in New York but she text him last night saying window cleaners due so make sure gates open.

Running a window cleaning round on time and with no fuss really is not that complicated yet some on here seem to find it more of a drama than an episode of Coronation St.
When I said I don't get paid I meant I do the Windows & get paid when they get back. Which means I have to wait. No problem. 95% of window cleaners I talk to round here are behind so you must be one of the 5% & I admire you for it. As for letting someone do my round while I'm away is somet I would never do. It's was drizzly & spitting today & worked all day in it. No sun. Is there a problem with being behind on a round or not agreeing to clean in the rain. And I certainly don't tell all my customers I'm going away. They don't tell me. I'm just probably not right into it like you.

Even though I try and make my round a 4 weekly round, it more often than not runs at about 5 or even 6 weeks. Weather is part of the problem, but more often than not its because I have taken on new customers, often fill a few days a month at least of these. Take a day or two off due to the weather. Have a familly day off. Do a day of leaflet dropping....Thats a week gone. Throw in a pressure washing job,some gutter days or two and youcan easily loose another week. I don't want to spend all month on a squeegee, not when you can earn a gooddays wage on a few gutter cleans and the like- it breaks up the monotony.

:pI'm probably not as work minded as a lot of you out there. I have no mortgage. Kids have gone & my rent on my bungalow is peanuts so I don't have to go head on into it. I plan to retire or cut right down in 7 years.

I admire all of you @daveyboy1 @TolishAPurd @Damo & a few others for the amount of work you put in & how you've made it successful but I like the way I tick over.

And thank you @TolishAPurd for backing me up. I don't even drink @Damo /emoticons/tongue.png/emoticons/biggrin.png:gush:

The thing with WFP is you can slap/dash/cut corners or just REALLY go for it when your behind. Worst case you slip over or break a pot or something.

Try rushing around with ladders!

@Posh honestly I am messing about. Doesn't make you less of a cleaner or me better Coz we work differently /emoticons/smile.png xx

I'm trad with a view to switch one day when the time is right. I.e- Huge round, Employee on 3/5 day a week regular part/full, and a house move to get out the way. I don't want to change my van any time soon either as I like it, but would want a lot more water carrying capability. Its paid off in a year or so so I may decide then.

What I want is a partner. Someone who is into the business as much as me. Cover holidays and interested in maximising what work we will do.

What I want is a partner. Someone who is into the business as much as me. Cover holidays and interested in maximising what work we will do.
I have never understood how a partner can work, unless you both build up the business together from scratch. Seems like a problem waiting to happen. And if it all falls apart, who gets what? Even the best of mates can fall out. Me and my best mate bought a house together with the intent of working on it together whilst living in it. We fell out in the first month when I noticed he had only done up his own bedroom and then left the rest of the house to me while he hung out with some bird whos knickers he was trying to get into. :rolleyes:

I have never understood how a partner can work, unless you both build up the business together from scratch. Seems like a problem waiting to happen. And if it all falls apart, who gets what? Even the best of mates can fall out. Me and my best mate bought a house together with the intent of working on it together whilst living in it. We fell out in the first month when I noticed he had only done up his own bedroom and then left the rest of the house to me while he hung out with some bird whos knickers he was trying to get into. :rolleyes:
Did he succeed????

Back