Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Scratched Glass! Help!

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Hi Guys,

So,

I cleaned a customers windows which were covered in bird muck! I eventually got 99% of it off with lots of scrubbing but there was a stubborn bit that wasn't budging!
so I turned my brush around and stupidly used the corner plastic part and tried to rub it off! well the bird muck came off but I was contacted by the owner not so long after explaining the window was scratched, anyhow I accepted full responsibility and told them I would sort it.

Does anyone know of anyway I can polish it out or will it need replacing ? , the scratch is about 3 inches long and I can just about catch it on my fingernail.41F733C3-659A-419C-8DDA-CBF89F2E3F69_1_201_a.jpeg

Thanks in advance

Ye maybe you're right just thought somebody might of had the same experience, I though it would just be as easy as buying a polishing kit off eBay and sticking it on the on the end of my dewalt, but the more I look into it the more hassle it seems :oops:

Ye maybe you're right just thought somebody might of had the same experience, I though it would just be as easy as buying a polishing kit off eBay and sticking it on the on the end of my dewalt, but the more I look into it the more hassle it seems :oops:
This could end up a situation where you spend the rest of your weekend looking at ways to do it to save yourself £200 to £300, you buy the bits for say £50, spend an hour or two trying to sort it yourself without success and end up having to spend £200 to £300 to get a professional to sort it.

I'd save yourself the hassle and get a trusted glazer to have a look at it. Focus on cleaning and take it as a lesson learned but I wouldn't waste time on it.

Yes I think it’s gonna save a lot of hassle if I just get it done professionally. Could end up making it worse trying it myself, was worth an ask!

Google Search "Glazing Replacement Near Me"

Cheers fellas!

This could end up a situation where you spend the rest of your weekend looking at ways to do it to save yourself £200 to £300, you buy the bits for say £50, spend an hour or two trying to sort it yourself without success and end up having to spend £200 to £300 to get a professional to sort it.

I'd save yourself the hassle and get a trusted glazer to have a look at it. Focus on cleaning and take it as a lesson learned but I wouldn't waste time on it.
I agree. We cracked a downstairs glass a few years ago. We took it on the chin. We avoided our insurance and got a local Doctor Glass to replace the glass only for a very modest price. We didn't try to haggle him down . It wasn't expensive. I can't remember for sure but I think it was around £40. We rounded it up to £50 for fairness if my memory is correct. As Chris said, I'd concentrate on what you know and not get bogged down with something that is a big deal for the likes of me but is a simple repair for someone who's in the glazing trade.

Hi Guys,

So,

I cleaned a customers windows which were covered in bird muck! I eventually got 99% of it off with lots of scrubbing but there was a stubborn bit that wasn't budging!
so I turned my brush around and stupidly used the corner plastic part and tried to rub it off! well the bird muck came off but I was contacted by the owner not so long after explaining the window was scratched, anyhow I accepted full responsibility and told them I would sort it.

Does anyone know of anyway I can polish it out or will it need replacing ? , the scratch is about 3 inches long and I can just about catch it on my fingernail.View attachment 26561

Thanks in advance
Are you sure that isn't friction marks from plastic? Did you scrub that hard your nozzles damaged the glass.

Unfortunately we are not there in person to see the true aforementioned damage so it's up to you to figure out what it is and how to resolve it

Are you sure that isn't friction marks from plastic? Did you scrub that hard your nozzles damaged the glass.

Unfortunately we are not there in person to see the true aforementioned damage so it's up to you to figure out what it is and how to resolve it
I got on the ladder and give it a going over with my scraper, its definitely scratched! I can only guess the bird muck had some grit in it and I've kind of etched it in there with the stock of my brush head :confused: lesson learnt

When you were using your scraper did you constantly apply soapy water with your applicator to create slip to minimise friction
Yes after the customer mention it I got up face to face with the window on my ladder , applied solution with applicator and give it a good going over with a new blade in my scraper. 100% scratched

Yes after the customer mention it I got up face to face with the window on my ladder , applied solution with applicator and give it a good going over with a new blade in my scraper. 100% scratched
Just for reference only scrape with the scraper on the glass in a forward stroke then take it off the glass don’t drag it back and forwards on the glass , also if removing cement after each stroke a light rinse with water will remove any loose grit preventing any damage to the glass this is slight over kill but does prevent any bits causing scratches

Just for reference only scrape with the scraper on the glass in a forward stroke then take it off the glass don’t drag it back and forwards on the glass , also if removing cement after each stroke a light rinse with water will remove any loose grit preventing any damage to the glass this is slight over kill but does prevent any bits causing scratches
Technique makes sense! Kind of wish I overkilled it instead of scratching it now tho! ??

No doubt you've caught the window reveals whether stone, brick or render you can get small bits caught on the edge of the brush sometimes with cobwebs once those small particles of render etc are on the brush edge that's where the risk of scratching comes about and ultimately has in this case.

No doubt you've caught the window reveals whether stone, brick or render you can get small bits caught on the edge of the brush sometimes with cobwebs once those small particles of render etc are on the brush edge that's where the risk of scratching comes about and ultimately has in this case.
Still can't believe he didn't hear the glass scratching, unless he was listening to music.

Latest Posts

Back