Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Scratched windows

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Rob007

Hi guys.
Customer accused me today that I have cratched her windows. I use pure water system and i have attached a picture of scratched windows. It really looks strange to me because windows are scratched only very close to the frame all the way down. Strangely there are no scratch marks in the middle of the glass at all. I never had such a problem in my past 3 years I clean windows. Obviously she wants all glass to be replaced by me or by my insurance. Any advise on this lads?

Attachments

• IMG_20220407_140817.jpg
    IMG_20220407_140817.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 42
It’s difficult to see properly from the picture , is this a long standing customer or have you only just started doing the job ?? Just wonder if the scratches have always been there but you have cleaned the dirt out of them so that they show up now . Again cannot see clearly but they look very straight as if something has been against the frame and gone down the glass? I wouldn’t expect WFP to cause this type of damage , personally don’t think you have done it , how many windows is it ??

Hi guys.
Customer accused me today that I have cratched her windows. I use pure water system and i have attached a picture of scratched windows. It really looks strange to me because windows are scratched only very close to the frame all the way down. Strangely there are no scratch marks in the middle of the glass at all. I never had such a problem in my past 3 years I clean windows. Obviously she wants all glass to be replaced by me or by my insurance. Any advise on this lads?
No chance. If its a new window then that's been done in the factory when they have made the unit. Only last week I noticed a scratch on a new window which was inside the unit. I showed the woman customer and they still had to come back to remove the expanding foam and silicon it. Rob go round all the windows and see if any other units have the same pattern on them? If so, then its been done in the factory and she is only now noticed it.

no easy way to deal with situations like this, I had a problem recently with a customer who claimed I’d scratched windows and doors.
My advice is to sleep on it and deal with the situation calmly With a clear head.
take time to think it through before getting back to her. you need to do what you are happy with and not be lead by the customers demands. If you believe the scratch wasn’t done by you then you need to be clear if they then persist in the accusation you May feel inclined to contact your insurance company.
it’s very frustrating.

It’s difficult to see properly from the picture , is this a long standing customer or have you only just started doing the job ?? Just wonder if the scratches have always been there but you have cleaned the dirt out of them so that they show up now . Again cannot see clearly but they look very straight as if something has been against the frame and gone down the glass? I wouldn’t expect WFP to cause this type of damage , personally don’t think you have done it , how many windows is it ??

Only french doors have these scratches and 1 window. It is a long standing customer. I clean for her over 2 years. I don't understand why there are no scratches in other parts of the glass if my brush would do such a mess. I have attached better quality picture

Attachments

• IMG_20220407_140606.jpg
    IMG_20220407_140606.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 32
With the flex of the brush bristles how the heck can it scratch in a perfect straight line but not scratch closer to the frame?
That's like something was rubbed up and down using the frame as a guide - can't think what might have caused it though.
I can't imagine a brush could do that, even scrubbing with the brush stock I can't see how there is a gap between the scratches and the frame that is so constant.
Plus as you say if it was your brush then why are there no scratches on other parts of the glass. If it was grit on the brush then there would be thicker lines, those look like lots of micro scratches, almost like some one was using wet and dry paper to remove paint?
On French doors how on earth can you use a single stroke to go from top to bottom? Surely you have to do the top half then either put your brush upside down or go sideways?
Are any of the scratches on the upstairs windows? Seems strange if they are just on the ground floor as they are the only ones the customer could reach!!!!
Can't see how you have done this.

Only french doors have these scratches and 1 window. It is a long standing customer. I clean for her over 2 years. I don't understand why there are no scratches in other parts of the glass if my brush would do such a mess. I have attached better quality picture
Looks like the door has been left fully open and came to rest on the edge of a brick wall. Next time you are there see where it lands when its fully open? No way you done it because its too consistent. Good luck.

Looking at this again that’s a wide mark on the glass a brush bumper or rubber edged brush might do that by leaving a rubber line on it but it’s perfectly straight so very much doubt it’s that anyway . Is the glass scratched or is that something on the surface , have you tried a scraper on it just to check ??

With the flex of the brush bristles how the heck can it scratch in a perfect straight line but not scratch closer to the frame?
That's like something was rubbed up and down using the frame as a guide - can't think what might have caused it though.
I can't imagine a brush could do that, even scrubbing with the brush stock I can't see how there is a gap between the scratches and the frame that is so constant.
Plus as you say if it was your brush then why are there no scratches on other parts of the glass. If it was grit on the brush then there would be thicker lines, those look like lots of micro scratches, almost like some one was using wet and dry paper to remove paint?
On French doors how on earth can you use a single stroke to go from top to bottom? Surely you have to do the top half then either put your brush upside down or go sideways?
Are any of the scratches on the upstairs windows? Seems strange if they are just on the ground floor as they are the only ones the customer could reach!!!!
Can't see how you have done this.
I no longer clean windows for this customer. She is not going to claim against me. Anyway I spoke to her neighbour the other day and neighbour said that they had some paining work done on their external window frames. Decorators scratched windows and window cleaner will be blamed for that.....)

Back