Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Short WFP - CLX 4 or 10 or another brand?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Bloody hell Spruce didn't realise you were a pensioner lol, at least you can take the bus if you van breaks down haha.

have you any plans to cut down or stop in the near future.

Hi Den,

I don't qualify for a full pension as I haven't been paying into the system for the length of time for that. I'm about 5 years short of the minimum period. But that's ok, whatever I am entitled to I will be grateful for, but I don't expect or demand anything. I believe I can pay into the system for those missing years, but that's depends on how the figures work out and even if I'm offered that option.

So I will have to carry on working for as long as I can. That doesn't change. My 'moto' has always been; "I'll retire when I expire." I obviously don't know what the future will bring. I'm probably only physically doing a 1/3 of what I was doing 12 years ago when we went wfp, and that's with better equipment. Its not by choice; I'm afraid physically the bods just not holding together.  For me healthwise, it went downhill after I had an op for prostate cancer in 2009. 

But there are a lot of things I'm grateful for. I'm grateful for the fact that I'm self employed, have a means of income and that I don't have to answer to a boss. If I can't do much one day then I can call it quits and go home earlier than I would normally. I keep hoping it will get better, but its just not happening and the reality is that it probably won't now.

We have just finished our mortgage on the house and that gives us a little breathing space financially. The next hurdle is the van. It really needs to be replaced. I might get another year out of it after the next MOT in May with lots of welding but I doubt it will last longer than that unless it has some major surgery. It sad as its 14 years old and still has only 67k on the clock.

I'm also grateful that I can still get satisfaction out of being on the forums hopefully helping others. It keeps me mentally stimulated and gives me a boost. When I see threads of window cleaners making a success of their businesses it motivates me to continue to do the best I can. 

Your one tough cookie and respect for beating the big C.

love the expression retire when expired never heard that before.

I met up with forum member part timer early this week and your goodselve was mentioned in the best possible way, personally The help you give members on the forum speaks volumes of not just your extensive knowledge but also your character, you have helped so many I know because I'm one of them.

Hope your health doesn't get any or much worst and you can continue cleaning for many more years to come and you keep the grey matter working via these forums.

Not much mileage at all considering your van is 14 years old with your knowhow I'm sure if you do replace your van you will be able to do the necessary checks before parting with your cash.

long may you continue. 

Spruce next time I'm due a service, the system not me, instead of driving to Grimsby do you want to do it. Will gladly pay a gentleman the money rather than a company. I'm sure with the expansion of WFP systems your knowledge could earn you more than cleaning, and be less detrimental on the body 

Your one tough cookie and respect for beating the big C.

love the expression retire when expired never heard that before.

I met up with forum member part timer early this week and your goodselve was mentioned in the best possible way, personally The help you give members on the forum speaks volumes of not just your extensive knowledge but also your character, you have helped so many I know because I'm one of them.

Hope your health doesn't get any or much worst and you can continue cleaning for many more years to come and you keep the grey matter working via these forums.

Not much mileage at all considering your van is 14 years old with your knowhow I'm sure if you do replace your van you will be able to do the necessary checks before parting with your cash.

long may you continue. 

Thank you for your kind words.

I have you guys to thank. Honestly, hand on my heart, I get far more from being on this forum than I give. Once you've got into wfp its easy, but its very daunting to begin with. I know, I was one of those. There were a few who really helped me out in the begining and to those people I'm eternally grateful.

It saddens me that for one reason or another, many no longer participate in these forums. We all run into motivational lulls from time to time. Window cleaning is not the most mentally stimulating job. I've found the weather this year to be very depressing and for some reason, I have struggled with the cold, something that has never bothered me in the past. But the fact that others, who probably have much harsher conditions to content with, manage to work is an inspiration for me.

I learn from others experiences. I know I'm going to have to invest in an electric hose reel at some point and other windies experiences with those have been a valuable source of info for me. I keep threatening that I will reassemble my diesel heater with the planned upgrades I want to do, but the list keeps growing in length as I tick off less than I add.

So again I say a big thank you to all of you. If I didn't have you guys to draw 'energy' from, I don't know where I would be now.

Spruce next time I'm due a service, the system not me, instead of driving to Grimsby do you want to do it. Will gladly pay a gentleman the money rather than a company. I'm sure with the expansion of WFP systems your knowledge could earn you more than cleaning, and be less detrimental on the body 

I don't think there is anything on a PureFreedom system that warrants you travelling all the way from Sunderland to Grimsby for it to be sorted.

I will gladly help you where I can and it won't cost you anything. If it was my business, then maybe that's different, but its not. My dad used to impress on us that its not all about money and he was right.

I sometimes feel very guilty about charging our neighbours for cleaning their windows, but I won't charge for anything else I do for them although sometimes they insist I do.

I don't think there is anything on a PureFreedom system that warrants you travelling all the way from Sunderland to Grimsby for it to be sorted.

I will gladly help you where I can and it won't cost you anything. If it was my business, then maybe that's different, but its not. My dad used to impress on us that its not all about money and he was right.

I sometimes feel very guilty about charging our neighbours for cleaning their windows, but I won't charge for anything else I do for them although sometimes they insist I do.
I agree with your sentiment to a degree, where I differ is that I only do, or accept, favours where it can be reciprocal. 

I have very little confidence in my DIY skills so much prefer to pay people to change the membrane. 

I agree with your sentiment to a degree, where I differ is that I only do, or accept, favours where it can be reciprocal. 

I have very little confidence in my DIY skills so much prefer to pay people to change the membrane. 

I understand what you are saying and respect that. I will just say that you are always welcome.

I'm going to say to all those of us that are self employed to ensure you have proof that you have paid your NIC2 payments each year.

The Receiver requires you to keep records for the past 7 years to cover you for the worst case senario. If you disgard records older than that, please make sure that you have proof that you paid income tax by keeping some kind of proof of payment.

With my pension claim the pensions office had no record of me paying my NIC2 payments for tax year 2015/6 although 2016/7 was recorded. So it ended up to be my responsibility to phone the Receivers offices and sort out the problem. The tax office apparently has to 'inform' the pensions office that they have received your payment for this period. In my case that trigger didn't happen. I have a feeling that 2015/6 tax year was the first year that they took the NIC2 payment in one lump sum, so it could have been a 'teething' problem.

No reason for their error was given.

Apparently the onus is on us to prove that we paid the right amount of tax including National Insurance and not up to them to prove we didn't.

I'm going to say to all those of us that are self employed to ensure you have proof that you have paid your NIC2 payments each year.

The Receiver requires you to keep records for the past 7 years to cover you for the worst case senario. If you disgard records older than that, please make sure that you have proof that you paid income tax by keeping some kind of proof of payment.

With my pension claim the pensions office had no record of me paying my NIC2 payments for tax year 2015/6 although 2016/7 was recorded. So it ended up to be my responsibility to phone the Receivers offices and sort out the problem. The tax office apparently has to 'inform' the pensions office that they have received your payment for this period. In my case that trigger didn't happen. I have a feeling that 2015/6 tax year was the first year that they took the NIC2 payment in one lump sum, so it could have been a 'teething' problem.

No reason for their error was given.

Apparently the onus is on us to prove that we paid the right amount of tax including National Insurance and not up to them to prove we didn't.
And of course 31st deadline for online

is looming....

Thanks Spruce - it proves once again that you can't rely on those you would think

are looking after things..

ps just to add - I've emailed Spruce directly as I could tell he had such a wealth of knowledge and experience...

He has always made time to explain out the problems I've faced and replied directly.

Top guy!

Which part of the country are you Spruce?

was it Reading area? 

And of course 31st deadline for online

is looming....

Thanks Spruce - it proves once again that you can't rely on those you would think

are looking after things..

ps just to add - I've emailed Spruce directly as I could tell he had such a wealth of knowledge and experience...

He has always made time to explain out the problems I've faced and replied directly.

Top guy!

Which part of the country are you Spruce?

was it Reading area? 
About 350 miles north east of Reading 

I too worked in the motor trade for a few years.

I worked for Inchape in Guildford.

Left in 2003 and worked for Porsche Center Guildford and then left there early 2006.... 

Went back on the glass ever since ?

So just incase anyone is still interested i thought I'd get a CLX4 and prob a SLX18

in a month or two.

When I said the Mrs would be part time and she planned to get involved starting 2018 I didnt figures for boomerang flu that keeps coming back and now she has pneumonia! 

So, so far I'm losing time looking after the school runs etc and trying to work in between...... ?

So just incase anyone is still interested i thought I'd get a CLX4 and prob a SLX18

in a month or two.

When I said the Mrs would be part time and she planned to get involved starting 2018 I didnt figures for boomerang flu that keeps coming back and now she has pneumonia! 

So, so far I'm losing time looking after the school runs etc and trying to work in between...... ?

Sounds nasty. I hope she recovers soon 

Best wishes

in a month or two.

Sometimes these things happen and we just do the best we can. I hope she gets better soon. This flu is serious.

Latest Posts

Back