Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Should I grass?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Not worth the hassle, if they found it it was you they might cause damage to your stuff or nick it. They might even be on here, you detailed where you live.
Maybe but I'm not a bloke who scared if other blokes. Not trying to sound hard, but I'm not bothered about confrontation. I think that's what's wrong with the world now , group of 12 year old outside shops swearing and behaving very poorly and frightening old people and yet no one says anything because there scared of what could happen. Crazy, I'm only 34 but ive been brought up to earn a living and look after my family and respect other people , and if you are gunna be a **** with ya mates then do it where no one else can see it. 

In answer to someone else's question about what I'm going to do......probably leave it. While ever work keeps coming in like it does at the moment it's not an issue for me personally. 

But I hate the theory of 'dont tell on then or they may nick your stuff' , does anyone understand how bad that logic is??? That's why these numptys get away with stuff because everyone dare not confront them , when actually if you do they probably would crumble. 

Maybe but I'm not a bloke who scared if other blokes. Not trying to sound hard, but I'm not bothered about confrontation. I think that's what's wrong with the world now , group of 12 year old outside shops swearing and behaving very poorly and frightening old people and yet no one says anything because there scared of what could happen. Crazy, I'm only 34 but ive been brought up to earn a living and look after my family and respect other people , and if you are gunna be a **** with ya mates then do it where no one else can see it. 

In answer to someone else's question about what I'm going to do......probably leave it. While ever work keeps coming in like it does at the moment it's not an issue for me personally. 

But I hate the theory of 'dont tell on then or they may nick your stuff' , does anyone understand how bad that logic is??? That's why these numptys get away with stuff because everyone dare not confront them , when actually if you do they probably would crumble. 
???

4C56E4D3-511E-4354-9959-FEB692FAA658.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

You’re absolutely right, they probably would crumble @Bongofish. There are so many people taking advantage of the system it’s outrageous. There’s a parent at my kid’s school who “has a bad back” so doesn’t work and neither does his wife. Their benefits including all the housing etc are something like £28k a year.  I’ve never earnt that a year working so it really p*sses me off when I see a customer of mine who’s husband has Parkinson’s and she doesn’t claim anything, (even though she’s been told by the doctor she’s entitled to), because she says she doesn’t want to take advantage of the system.

Where I live in salford it's better to mind your own business in most Instances.....I see first hand what happens to people who poke their nose into other peoples business,bricks through windows,stabbings and shootings are a regular occurrence around here....only a few weeks ago my neighbour got stabbed 5 times and 4 lads hacked his door down with samurai swords and machetes.....☹?

You’re absolutely right, they probably would crumble @Bongofish. There are so many people taking advantage of the system it’s outrageous. There’s a parent at my kid’s school who “has a bad back” so doesn’t work and neither does his wife. Their benefits including all the housing etc are something like £28k a year.  I’ve never earnt that a year working so it really p*sses me off when I see a customer of mine who’s husband has Parkinson’s and she doesn’t claim anything, (even though she’s been told by the doctor she’s entitled to), because she says she doesn’t want to take advantage of the system.
If you don't live in an area where ? lives it can be easy to think certain ways. Personally I don't have any young kids, debt etc, I'm also 6'5" and built like the proverbial brick outhouse. I still wouldn't get involved as it's a very, very small financial matter. If these people were threatening, or intimidating people, then the fun would begin

If you don't live in an area where ? lives it can be easy to think certain ways. Personally I don't have any young kids, debt etc, I'm also 6'5" and built like the proverbial brick outhouse. I still wouldn't get involved as it's a very, very small financial matter. If these people were threatening, or intimidating people, then the fun would begin
Yep avoid. I just hope they get caught out - but I’ve always thought that the system in the UK is a bit too general and therefore people learn quick how to take advantage. Where we live I tell my it’s a “feast or famine” area - some people have loads and some have nothing, and there’s very few in between. 

once your earning £45k a year for part time hours window cleaning you really wont care about what these spongers get,,,,,,like ive already said concentrate on making your round better/more profitable....that is all......

theres a lot of desperate,messed up people where i live....desperate for money and drink/drugs a lot of the time...id say most of the violence and crime is related to these things unfortunately......the worst person you could possibly be would be a grass......

Hey all.

So in my area there is two lads going around walking the streets with a bucket and a ladder. I was working on the same street as them today and when getting my stuff out the van I heard the shouting to eachother how there running behind because they had to do there 2 weekly sign on at job centre.

Now I am the least person to ever grass, but these lads actually get alot of work I. My area and under charge by ridiculous amounts. A £10 house to me is a £4 house to them. 

It's starting to annoy me as a guy who has done everything I can to set up a legit business and register with HMRC and there doing this along with claiming from the government. 

My flow of customers does still seem to be coming in well, so it's not like at the moment I'm struggling , but these guys have the best houses in my village as they can only do the 2 storey stuff. So I get alot of the 3 storey stuff or houses with extensions they can't reach. 

What would you guys do?

Bongofish
Don't worry about it, if they are just doing it for some quick cash they will disappear. 

If they are serious then they will be legitimate eventually and some healthy competition to keep you on your toes. 

If i was in your shoes i wouldnt care, id probably go up to the lads and have a bit of chat with them, if they claim the dole and claim the dole then thats up to them and is none of my business, Personally... i know a lot of window cleaners like this but end of the day it shouldnt bother u, think positive and not negative.

Some customers will not like them shouting and the unprofessional rogue type behavior... so when they see u each month pulling up on the street with your sign written van the customer starts to realise they are happy to use u and pay the extra bit of ££ for a more professional service.

If i was in your shoes i wouldnt care, id probably go up to the lads and have a bit of chat with them, if they claim the dole and claim the dole then thats up to them and is none of my business, Personally... i know a lot of window cleaners like this but end of the day it shouldnt bother u, think positive and not negative.

Some customers will not like them shouting and the unprofessional rogue type behavior... so when they see u each month pulling up on the street with your sign written van the customer starts to realise they are happy to use u and pay the extra bit of ££ for a more professional service.

Next time you pay your tax bill remember them paying f**k all. 
All this, smile and move on attitude is ?. 
If we all paid our bit this country would be a much better place 

That’s nonsense saying it’s none of his business. Anyone who pays tax is paying into government which pays benefits. So strictly speaking it’s every tax payers business 
No sorry Steve you are mistaken. It isn't any of our business, we are all subject to income tax and taxes because we are subject to the queen and the government.

It's the government's business on enforcement of taxes, the decision on who gets benefits, and the procedures to route out the ones claiming for things they should not. That's the whole point of a welfare system, to prevent mob mentality of entitlement, and to assist those who need it.

This is basicly "he must be doing better than me" because he is claiming some sort of allowance that I don't qualify for" mindset and it's as disgusting as the ones who claim benefits they are not entitled to. Just because someone isn't limping, or hasn't got an arm missing, doesn't mean they are not entitled to help.

So to summarise it is not our business, it's the government's business on enforcement.

It can also get very complicated. For example you may have an individual who suffered life changing injuries, and has had 30 operations over 10 years to bring him back to normality. He was paid out 2 million quid in damages, but guess what happens most of the time. It doesn't go into his bank account, no it normally goes into a trust with limitations of use (he can only use the money to buy a property to live in, or a new car every 3 years, or he may be able to take a small tax free  living allowance from it, and the trust itself will have rules to follow to protect the trust itself like some of the money has to be invested to suit the needs of that trust. He may of recovered enough to do a small bit of work to help his mental health, but not need to charge much, he will also still qualify for state benefits as the money that was paid out wasn't paid to him, but a trust that he is a beneficiary of..

It gets very very complicated, so I would say keep your nose out. 

Next time you pay your tax bill remember them paying f**k all. 
All this, smile and move on attitude is ?. 
If we all paid our bit this country would be a much better place 
It is what it is, people like that who sign on the dole have no scope in there business.. there business is limited and its just a bit of pocket money to them, are u seriously bothered about these types of people, there not a legit business, u are though, thats your first selling point ? ? look at it in a positive situation (y)

On the flip side even when I've had no work I have never signed on as there is always work if you look properly (even drove a lorry picking up human incontinence waste when needed).

Why the **** should I pay someone elses benefits from my wages if they are working.

Jog on is my answer.

It is what it is, people like that who sign on the dole have no scope in there business.. there business is limited and its just a bit of pocket money to them, are u seriously bothered about these types of people, there not a legit business, u are though, thats your first selling point ? ? look at it in a positive situation (y)
so you are happy working and your tax pays someone to sit around doing jack sheit?

On the flip side even when I've had no work I have never signed on as there is always work if you look properly (even drove a lorry picking up human incontinence waste when needed).

Why the **** should I pay someone elses benefits from my wages if they are working.

Jog on is my answer.

so you are happy working and your tax pays someone to sit around doing jack sheit?
Well obviously im not happy but theres not much we can do about it, like i said it is what it is ... but this window cleaners who signs on the dole he will only be doing 100/200 houses, now if he started up and didnt sign on he could easily reach the 1,000 figure so the more these types of these types window cleaners we have the more better for u growing your business and picking up more numbers? Hope that helps ?

Back