Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Slow Tank Filling

WCF

Help Support WCF:

PSWC

Hi all!

I've been a lurker on the forum for quite a while now and the advice available is just amazing. So firstly, thank you to you all for the incredibly useful information which has enabled me to start my own window cleaning business.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to find the answers to my questions using the search facility - hence my first post!

I have recently had my 4040 RO membrane and pre filters replaced and the filling time seems to have increased from around 3.5 hours to around 5.5 hours (350l tank). I believe my tap pressure is around 70PSI. I am getting 1l pure to 2l waste and the tank is filling at 1l per minute.

I just wanted to know if the above figures seem about right or if there is something I can do to increase the filling time? I'm also not sure as to why the filling time has increased after my membrane and pre filters were changed?

Many thanks,

Shaun
Prime Shine Window Cleaning

Your waste to pure ratio seems high, on a 40/40 you should be running at 60/40 waste to pure. Did you buy the correct membrane for your water pressure. We have a booster pump, tap pressure is below 30, and run at around 90psi. We produce at least 2 litres a minute with this set up

Your waste to pure ratio seems high, on a 40/40 you should be running at 60/40 waste to pure. Did you buy the correct membrane for your water pressure. We have a booster pump, tap pressure is below 30, and run at around 90psi. We produce at least 2 litres a minute with this set up
Hi Part Timer,

Thanks for your response! I believe the membrane is correct - it was installed by Zero-DS. So how would I go about getting the waste to pure ratio to 60/40? Is my high ratio due to insufficient water pressure?

Hi Part Timer,

Thanks for your response! I believe the membrane is correct - it was installed by Zero-DS. So how would I go about getting the waste to pure ratio to 60/40? Is my high ratio due to insufficient water pressure?
Have you got a booster pump, if not get one it should make a big difference

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you got a booster pump?
I don't have a booster pump. The 70PSI I quoted was from memory when the system was initially installed. I'll grab a test gauge from screwfix tomorrow and update with an accurate reading. Your start up thread gave me a huge amount of information btw so thanks very much ? 

Hi all!

I've been a lurker on the forum for quite a while now and the advice available is just amazing. So firstly, thank you to you all for the incredibly useful information which has enabled me to start my own window cleaning business.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to find the answers to my questions using the search facility - hence my first post!

I have recently had my 4040 RO membrane and pre filters replaced and the filling time seems to have increased from around 3.5 hours to around 5.5 hours (350l tank). I believe my tap pressure is around 70PSI. I am getting 1l pure to 2l waste and the tank is filling at 1l per minute.

I just wanted to know if the above figures seem about right or if there is something I can do to increase the filling time? I'm also not sure as to why the filling time has increased after my membrane and pre filters were changed?

Many thanks,

Shaun
Prime Shine Window Cleaning
Water is also thicker in the winter due to cold weather this will also slow down your fill times , but I also agree your waist ratio seams to high to me Ime guessing you have an adjustable waist gate ?? 

Water is also thicker in the winter due to cold weather this will also slow down your fill times , but I also agree your waist ratio seams to high to me Ime guessing you have an adjustable waist gate ?? 
I believe I do but it's a bit beyond me to know how to adjust it ? 

I don't have a booster pump. The 70PSI I quoted was from memory when the system was initially installed. I'll grab a test gauge from screwfix tomorrow and update with an accurate reading. Your start up thread gave me a huge amount of information btw so thanks very much ? 
Cheers for the compliment, its been a pretty wild ride the last 3 yrs but the hard graft has definately paid off.

Life is good ??

Where in Suffolk you from?

I believe I do but it's a bit beyond me to know how to adjust it ? 
Do you have a way to flush the membrane? Some systems you just open up the 'waste' valve for a few mins each time you produce pure other systems can have a bypass valve to flush. You do need to flush regularly otherwise your membrane life will be shortened.

Normally a valve is added to the waste outlet of the RO. This valve restricts the waste flow and increases the pressure in the RO. By restricting the flow of waste you alter the ratio, i.e the more closed the valve the less waste but the quicker the membrane clogs! That's why people recommend 60 waste to 40 pure.

Hope that helps a little?

Cheers for the compliment, its been a pretty wild ride the last 3 yrs but the hard graft has definately paid off.

Life is good ??

Where in Suffolk you from?
You're welcome! Yeah you've done very well ?

I live in Carlton Colville, just outside Lowestoft.

On mine it is the flush valve under the membrane
?

Do you have a way to flush the membrane? Some systems you just open up the 'waste' valve for a few mins each time you produce pure other systems can have a bypass valve to flush. You do need to flush regularly otherwise your membrane life will be shortened.

Normally a valve is added to the waste outlet of the RO. This valve restricts the waste flow and increases the pressure in the RO. By restricting the flow of waste you alter the ratio, i.e the more closed the valve the less waste but the quicker the membrane clogs! That's why people recommend 60 waste to 40 pure.

Hope that helps a little?
Appreciate that Ched, thank you.

The ratio is wrong but I wonder if you have a HF4 membrane rather than a HF5, that would make a difference.
Yeah possibly?

Usually it’s a wheel unscrew it to increase the waist flow , screw it in to reduce the waist and produce more pure , or or could be a different lever tap , can you post a picture of it ??
Thanks Pjj, there's 2 I believe as below;

20220206_142343.jpg

20220206_142322.jpg

20220206_142309.jpg

The k n o b in the last picture is mounted to the waste hose, however, when adjusting this either way it also reduces the amount or pure going into the tank...

Thanks Pjj, there's 2 I believe as below;

View attachment 26390

View attachment 26391

View attachment 26392

The k n o b in the last picture is mounted to the waste hose, however, when adjusting this either way it also reduces the amount or pure going into the tank...
Yes it will when the wheel is fully open most water will go to waist when it’s screwed in most will go to the tank , you need to adjust this so that 40% goes to the tank and 60% waist try and measure in one muinit the waist produced and then do the same with the pure produced and adjust the **** accordingly , hope this makes sense 

Yes it will when the wheel is fully open most water will go to waist when it’s screwed in most will go to the tank , you need to adjust this so that 40% goes to the tank and 60% waist try and measure in one muinit the waist produced and then do the same with the pure produced and adjust the **** accordingly , hope this makes sense 
Brilliant, thanks Pjj! So it's the k n o b in the last picture I need to adjust? I noticed my TDS jumped from 0ppm to around 3ppm when playing around with it... is that normal? I assumed I'd adjusted it too much and it was letting some waste into the tank...

If that is what increases or decreases waist water then yes 
Thanks Pjj, I'm now at 1l pure per minute to 1.5l waste per minute. Is that about right? It hasn't increased the amount of pure water I'm making but I take it it now takes less water to make the pure?

Back