Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Slow Tank Filling

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Please Correct me if I'm wrong.  that's what partimer is saying i think.  60 waste and 40 pure
Yeah the ratio is now correct. However, I was getting 1l pure to 2l waste per minute before. I've closed the waste off slightly which has reduced the waste but it hasn't increased the pure. So whereas I was getting 3l per minute total before, I'm now getting 2.5l per minute total albeit with the correct 60/40 ratio.

I may be wrong here and that just might be how it works ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you know what pressure you are running at? 

It could be that the water pressure you have isn't sufficient to push more pure through the membrane. Although I'm not quite sure about the relationship between pressure/flow/waste etc.

Do you know what pressure you are running at? 

It could be that the water pressure you have isn't sufficient to push more pure through the membrane. Although I'm not quite sure about the relationship between pressure/flow/waste etc.
Yeah mate, I'm going to get a pressure gauge from screwfix tomorrow to double check. Will post the results. Thanks to everyone for your help and advice ?

Yeah mate, I'm going to get a pressure gauge from screwfix tomorrow to double check. Will post the results. Thanks to everyone for your help and advice ?
Top tip for you. Also double check your stop co#k on the incoming water main to your property to ensure it's fully open along with any inline isolator valves on the tap you test & draw water from

Sometimes depending on how long or short you've lived in a property it's something that can be missed and a few PSI here or there cam help.

Sometimes it's turned down to reduce pipe judder or water hammer in older homes 

Top tip for you. Also double check your stop co#k on the incoming water main to your property to ensure it's fully open along with any inline isolator valves on the tap you test & draw water from

Sometimes depending on how long or short you've lived in a property it's something that can be missed and a few PSI here or there cam help.

Sometimes it's turned down to reduce pipe judder or water hammer in older homes 
That's great APW, thanks very much!

Afternoon all, so I got a pressure gauge from screwfix... I don't think it's the best but it measured around 45PSI so I'm guessing a booster pump will be needed to increase production?

If your measurements are correct, then you will need a booster pump, that psi is too low. 
Thanks Jango. Will it cause any harm by continuing to fill the system without one or will it just mean less efficient filling?

EDIT: Just had a quick search of the forum and can see that low water pressure affects the rejection rate and therefore shortens the life of the membrane and increases resin consumption.

My TDS's are as follows;

Tap = 513ppm (?)

After RO = 12ppm

After DI 0ppm

So based off of that my rejection rate is  97.66 which I believe is more than acceptable? 

Just to confirm with you all, my system is now set up to run optimally and if I want to produce pure at a higher rate (lpm) I need to invest in a booster pump?

Again, thanks to you all for your help! It's greatly appreciated.

As far as I know it's fine to run a membrane at a low pressure it will just be inefficient at producing pure. I will add I am no expert on membranes, so Doug or Spruce are probably much better placed to answer than me.

They must all be asleep in their chairs???

@Pjjhe is a knowledgeable chap. 
Haha yeah Pjj has already helped me out a lot with this!

As far as I know it's fine to run a membrane at a low pressure it will just be inefficient at producing pure. I will add I am no expert on membranes, so Doug or Spruce are probably much better placed to answer than me.
Thanks Ched ?

Do you know the make and model membrane inserted in as there are cheap 4040 membranes that do 2/3 less production than say an Axeon membrane.

It sounds like you may have had one inserted.

Lol not to sure but think it will just not work efficiently and given time could fail prematurely, but stand to be corrected by the likes of @doug atkinson
Thanks Pjj. I edited my above post but will post it below too...

Just had a quick search of the forum and can see that low water pressure affects the rejection rate and therefore shortens the life of the membrane and increases resin consumption.

My TDS's are as follows;

Tap = 513ppm

After RO = 12ppm

After DI 0ppm

So based off of that my rejection rate is  97.66 which I believe is more than acceptable? 

Do you know the make and model membrane inserted in as there are cheap 4040 membranes that do 2/3 less production than say an Axeon membrane.

It sounds like you may have had one inserted.
Unfortunately I don't I'm afraid. It just states 4040 membrane on the invoice. But yes, it certainly seems that way.

Its not too much bother with my 350l tank but it will cause issues when I increase the tank capacity as my business grows. I suppose at that point it will be worth investing in an Axeon membrane.

Thanks Pjj. I edited my above post but will post it below too...

Just had a quick search of the forum and can see that low water pressure affects the rejection rate and therefore shortens the life of the membrane and increases resin consumption.

My TDS's are as follows;

Tap = 513ppm

After RO = 12ppm

After DI 0ppm

So based off of that my rejection rate is  97.66 which I believe is more than acceptable? 
When I first got a booster pump I noticed a big difference in how much longer the resin lasted producing the same volume of water , I think this is due to a constant pressure  rather than a fluctuating one also membrane life is linger but I found they lasted 6-7 years anyway, my current membrains are 7 years old and still going strong producing a minimum of 1,000 ltr of pure per day sometimes 3-4 times that . So I think the booster pump is well worth having . I cannot scientifically prove what I have said but that’s real world day to day use statistics.

When I first got a booster pump I noticed a big difference in how much longer the resin lasted producing the same volume of water , I think this is due to a constant pressure  rather than a fluctuating one also membrane life is linger but I found they lasted 6-7 years anyway, my current membrains are 7 years old and still going strong producing a minimum of 1,000 ltr of pure per day sometimes 3-4 times that . So I think the booster pump is well worth having . I cannot scientifically prove what I have said but that’s real world day to day use statistics.
Thanks very much Pjj, definitely worth having in that case!

Back