Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

First day

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I introduced myself in the 'introductions' forum two weeks ago about my new part-time start-up venture. Today I have delivered around 140 leaflets in my estate advertising my services. I plan to follow this up with door knocking later in the week and try secure my first few customers. I feel confident enough in talking to potential clients but and have a idea of what to say, keeping my patter short and sweet. But would be grateful of any advice from the professionals!

How many customers can I expect to gain from this small leaflet campaign? I am sure there is no written rule, but just an idea would be great.

I will keep you all posted on any leads I may receive. Until then please leave your comments on what works best for you when canvassing.

Many thanks!

I think you could get anything between 0 to 8 customers from that, realistically. If you get more you are doing very well. Keep it short, "we posted a flyer recently about our window cleaning service and just wondered if you would be interested in a quote?".

Don't harass them, if they so no, just say, "no problem, thank you for your time/ sorry to bother you". Then move on, it takes time, and you don't want to spend more time than you need to talking to someone who is not interested.

Many thanks for the advice and reassurance guys, much appreciated. I have an ad on yell.com and have set up a website and social media accounts. Just need to keep on posting leaflets and knocking doors I guess!

Incidentally, while dropping my leaflets today I came across a window cleaner hard at work and plucked up the courage to post my details through the door he was working on. Is this acceptable behaviour?

Also, a more concerning point is when people display a 'no cold callers' or 'we don't buy at this door' sign, would you still knock and offer your service? I should I give them the peace they request?

I personally wouldn't post a flyer while a another window cleaner was working, my advice would be to go back and do that street on another day. Most window cleaners wouldn't bother you, but you will come across the odd couple that will try threaten you off there patch, so unless you know them best just stay clear.

I have posted flyer through doors with these signs and got have got phone calls from them, but I tend not to knock there door.

If someone does try to threaten you off there patch, they are breaking the law, tell them to f-off. If you stand up to them they will back off and leave you alone. I read an article about this happening, and the guy called the police, and when the police arrive it turned out that the one that was threatening the guy off his patch, was claiming benefits and working buck-shee.

What a plonker for waiting for the police to arrive, these guys just don't think what they are doing is wrong, its astounding.

Have to admit I would not be happy with someone putting a flyer through a house I was working on. I wouldn't wanna take someone elses work and I certainly would not do it. Maybe go back later but even then I'd think twice. Know it's dog eat dog out there but this is just my opionon and there's plenty of windows out there.

Also agree with laddergarder. Put a flyer through but don't knock. I to have had sucsess with people showing these signs.

One tip...once u get one yes, get their name and then on the next door say 'we clean mr/mrs so and so at number wot ever ' and that usually gives u creadability and they r more likely to take you on.
Good advice. Great tip.

From a leaflet drop like that, if there's no one in that area perhaps one or two. Door knocking in the evening or at a weekend maybe 3/4 more.

One tip...once u get one yes, get their name and then on the next door say 'we clean mr/mrs so and so at number wot ever ' and that usually gives u creadability and they r more likely to take you on.

Let me know if tht works for ya :)
I also use this technique, works amazingly well. I've picked up 100's of customers from doing this.

James.

Latest Posts

Back