Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Streamline portable di system or Unger Di system & gardiner backpack

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Pmac

Hi all, 

I decided a couple of months back that I want to start doing window cleaning, since purchasing a Ford transit connect and doing reaserch into waterfed systems / poles, I realise it has a lot of variables with Di and RO systems. 

I am in an area that has medium-hard water and from reading that RO systems are preffered for this type of water but do feel the Di system looks like it's less time faffing around.

With having a budget of £1800 left I have looked at two options, 

Streamline portable di system £1000 or Unger Di system & gardiner backpack £750, I know van system are being used alot but sadly don't have the budget at this point. 

I would appreciate any input or advice anyone in the trade or of any knowledge on water fed systems. 

Paul

Hi all, 

I decided a couple of months back that I want to start doing window cleaning, since purchasing a Ford transit connect and doing reaserch into waterfed systems / poles, I realise it has a lot of variables with Di and RO systems. 

I am in an area that has medium-hard water and from reading that RO systems are preffered for this type of water but do feel the Di system looks like it's less time faffing around.

With having a budget of £1800 left I have looked at two options, 

Streamline portable di system £1000 or Unger Di system & gardiner backpack £750, I know van system are being used alot but sadly don't have the budget at this point. 

I would appreciate any input or advice anyone in the trade or of any knowledge on water fed systems. 

Paul
Here's a video which may help

Reading your post kicked in an observation. This isn't directed at you but it shows how the process of starting a business has been turned upside down in recent years.

At one time someone considering a business venture would do a thorough due diligence study to see what the costs of the venture are expected to be and what the need was for his service offering in the local area. If this was a new venture requiring a business loan from the bank this study would be extremely important. After all he would need to show and to convince his bank manager that he was a suitable customer to loan money to.

You started your post with; I decide a few months ago ..................... Now in my honest opinion you can't make a decision like this without doing an in depth study on what equipment you will need and how your business will operate. You also should only buy a van when you know what equipment you need, ie, size of tank etc.

Obtaining water is also an important consideration. Your stating that di would be less faffing around indicates to me that you haven't really understood the concept and costs of running either system.

You have already bought the van, so before your spend anymore money you need to thoroughly investigate your options. Do you actually know your water's hardness?

If you don't then the first thing you need is a quality TDS meter to check that. @dazmond says his water in his area is reasonably soft so he has chosen to process water by di only. Other cleaners in another part of your area need to use an r/o. DI only is convenient but resin is costly.

Are you on a water meter? Do you have water storage facilities? Are you able to buy water to begin with?

Another very important consideration; what about customers?

Honestly I'm not sure how quickly I would want to get into any form of self employment in these momentous times. The immediate future is very uncertain. I know I'm old but even I'm asking myself if the last job I did 2 weeks ago was my last window clean.

I understand where you are coming from Spruce and maybe there are certain things I have under looked or have not much not knowledge on this is why I am on window cleaning forum instead of purchasing equipment.

I am by no means in a rush to buying equipment I am not sure about just trying to get more information about what people have found benifical in the industry. 

I understand where you are coming from Spruce and maybe there are certain things I have under looked or have not much not knowledge on this is why I am on window cleaning forum instead of purchasing equipment.

I am by no means in a rush to buying equipment I am not sure about just trying to get more information about what people have found benifical in the industry. 
If this is what you want to do then the first thing you should purchase imho is a TDS meter from a trusted supplier. This will give you direction with regard to water processing.

If your water tds is above 120ppm then you need to seriously consider r/o. Being on a water meter is another consideration because an r/o sends between 50 and 60% of the water consumed to waste whilst filtering pure. This waste water is to flush away the impurities removed by the r/o membranes.

If you go di only then resin costs need to be considered. If you look at this resin calculator and you know your water's tds (hardness) then you will get an idea of how much water filtration will cost.

https://gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/Resin_Calculator.htm

Thanks I have already ordered the tds, I do know the logistics of what both Di and RO do but thanks for more info the calculator will come in handy ?

Latest Posts

Back