Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Struggling to start - canvassing queries

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I've had a quick look at the replies and don't think this point has been made yet - apologies if it has.
The first thing I'd recommend is a website because a highly ranking site is a reliable source of rm egular, ongoing new enqiuries. I realise ranking well is easier said than done but it is perfectly doable.

But regardless of this you can still start building an online presence wothout a website. You've started with facebook so now you need a Google Business Profile which means you can rank in the local pack and ideally the top 3 - these are the results you get at the top of page 1 for local search results.
The best thing you can do is get a steady supply of good reviews and this can shoot you up the rankings. Don't get loads in 1 go because Google might view this as suspicious and reject some / all. Just a steady and regular flow of genuine reviews.

Bing Places is Bing's version of the same thing.
And both Google and Bing wull expect other citations, i.e. business listings on certain key directories such as Yell, Yelp,, 118, Scoot, Thonson local,
These help establish trust that you are a legitimate business. You MUST ensure that all your onformation is accurate and comsistent, in particular Business name, address & phone number.
On Google you should select option of a service provider at customers address as you are not a physical building that customers can go to. Then add yoyr service locations.
This is GBP link

Some good ideas in this thread.

It's easy to get demotivated when there is no response from door knocking in an area. But that doesn't mean it's a wasted knock. You are advertising yourself as a window cleaner.

I can't believe how many people know me as a window cleaner in our area who I have never met.

Had one lady wanting her windows cleaned who knew which estate I live on, but didn't know which house was ours. The first door she knocked on to ask pointed her to our street. This person isn't a customer. He didn't know the number of our house, but it has a blue van in the driveway.

It can take a long time for a start up business to turn a profit. Investing in your business is like building a solid foundation. It doesn't happen over night - it takes time and patience. Investing also includes time canvassing for customers.

When we first started, we found cleaning windows on Saturday got quiet a number of walk ups asking for quotes. More people are at home on a weekend. Then knock the surrounding houses. People will we more likely to be interested when they have seen you demonstrating your service.

If you have a sign written van, why not park it in your local supermarket parking area on a weekend if there is no restricted parking? It's an excellent advertising board for local people.

A marathon runner doesn't start his marathon as a sprinter would start his race. If he did then he would soon burn out and will never finish the marathon. He has to pace himself and save energy to complete the marathon.

It's the same with our business. We have to remain motivated for a long time to achieve our goals, whatever they may be. If we try to go too fast, we can suffer burn out and become demotivated. It isn't easy being self employed in the first place. Adding additional stress into the mix won't help.

When we start we tend to pick up many customers others have dumped by other cleaners. We need to spend time and filter these customers out. It can take many years to hone a round with a good customer base. But it doesn't mean that a few good customers don't turn bad. We have to keep filtering our customer base; adding new and removing messers. Even more so in these rough economic times which will get moreso.

Some good ideas in this thread.

It's easy to get demotivated when there is no response from door knocking in an area. But that doesn't mean it's a wasted knock. You are advertising yourself as a window cleaner.

I can't believe how many people know me as a window cleaner in our area who I have never met.

Had one lady wanting her windows cleaned who knew which estate I live on, but didn't know which house was ours. The first door she knocked on to ask pointed her to our street. This person isn't a customer. He didn't know the number of our house, but it has a blue van in the driveway.

It can take a long time for a start up business to turn a profit. Investing in your business is like building a solid foundation. It doesn't happen over night - it takes time and patience. Investing also includes time canvassing for customers.

When we first started, we found cleaning windows on Saturday got quiet a number of walk ups asking for quotes. More people are at home on a weekend. Then knock the surrounding houses. People will we more likely to be interested when they have seen you demonstrating your service.

If you have a sign written van, why not park it in your local supermarket parking area on a weekend if there is no restricted parking? It's an excellent advertising board for local people.
The only downside to parking in local supermarket carparks in today's age is ANPR in most major players carparks as they generate revenue from a 3rd party estates management company but use the allotted time of free parking to your advantage

My best tips are:

Try and find a pub landlord and ask to park in his carpark

Park within the prescribed time frame of parking at a B&Q or Homebase on a Sunday

Go to a Sunday car boot sale and try and park in the best position for footfall into and out of the site

If you have a family car the Mrs drives and taking into consideration insurance if the vehicle is sign written it does help to have a secondary more mobile vehicle advertising

If you have kids that attend weekend sports clubs like football or rugby having your Mrs wear printed clothing like a hoodie or dryrobe helps spread the word

Thanks again guys for the responses, van is going in on Thursday to be sign written (can't wait) and I've now gotten a more realistic mindset to getting customers.

My numbers are going up slowly but in the right direction, I never expected this game to be an easy start into but I truly believe what it will offer for my family will be worth the investment not just financially but in my time also and are happy to slog it out,

Great community on here I must say 👍

talkin of family "help" i recall i ended up heading out to work 7am, then 6 am, mainly cos my partner kept on saying [as soon as she saw me leaving] , "another shiiit day ahead of you yeah" that Really bugged me at the time so i left before she had a chance to see me leaving . Whats really strange is that long after we split i continued to leave for work at 6 am

talkin of family "help" i recall i ended up heading out to work 7am, then 6 am, mainly cos my partner kept on saying [as soon as she saw me leaving] , "another shiiit day ahead of you yeah" that Really bugged me at the time so i left before she had a chance to see me leaving . Whats really strange is that long after we split i continued to leave for work at 6 am
I think your experience is quite sad tbh. It's difficult enough dealing with the pressures of self employment without having the discouragement from a spouse added on.

While it was probably just her sense of humour, it is a negative seed that can be planted subconsciously in your mindset for the rest of the day.

Generally, the last thing we say to each other on departing in the morning is, "have a nice day", even if we know that for some reason or another, today may not be so good.

We need to know we have moral support, even though we may not be on their minds constantly though the day. Then again, we also need to show that same support to them. It's a two way street.

Thanks again guys for the responses, van is going in on Thursday to be sign written (can't wait) and I've now gotten a more realistic mindset to getting customers.

My numbers are going up slowly but in the right direction, I never expected this game to be an easy start into but I truly believe what it will offer for my family will be worth the investment not just financially but in my time also and are happy to slog it out,

Great community on here I must say 👍
Its a big confidence boost having a sign written van. I changed my van back in early april. I have only just got round to getting it sign written. I felt almost naked turning up to my custy`s in a plain van as I was so used to having a sign written van. Its money well spent. I have picked up many customers to from it.

Back