Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Taking other window cleaners work

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Elliott randall

Do you guys ever feel bad about taking other windis work? We went out to a quote today. Women currently has a cleaner but she wanted to switch, I asked why and she didn’t have a reason. Windows were spotless and she was happy with the price but she still wanted to switch.. that screams red flag to me but I won’t complain as it’s free work for me. I still kind of feel bad for the current one being dropped for no reason ?

Part and parcel, if you never took on a job that another window cleaner had touched you'd be out of business faster than Liz Truss was out of number 10. Also if karma exists, another window cleaner will 1000% do it to you along the way too.

Do you guys ever feel bad about taking other windis work? We went out to a quote today. Women currently has a cleaner but she wanted to switch, I asked why and she didn’t have a reason. Windows were spotless and she was happy with the price but she still wanted to switch.. that screams red flag to me but I won’t complain as it’s free work for me. I still kind of feel bad for the current one being dropped for no reason ?
I’ve had people switch to me because they weren’t happy with their current window cleaner, but I certainly didn’t feel bad for it. If they’re not cleaning bird mess off the windows, not cleaning cills or leaving spots on the glass then they obviously don’t care about their standard of work and obviously don’t care about the customer. I find it quite satisfying TBH.

If the windows were good like you say and she was happy with him then she was looking for cheaper and didn't want to say and your quote was cheaper.If you didn't undercut him then don't feel bad.

If the windows were good like you say and she was happy with him then she was looking for cheaper and didn't want to say and your quote was cheaper.If you didn't undercut him then don't feel bad.
I’ve had people switch to me because they weren’t happy with their current window cleaner, but I certainly didn’t feel bad for it. If they’re not cleaning bird mess off the windows, not cleaning cills or leaving spots on the glass then they obviously don’t care about their standard of work and obviously don’t care about the customer. I find it quite satisfying TBH.
Maybe she thought I was a trad window cleaner. Those days are long gone in my option anyway ??‍♂️??‍♂️

We wouldn’t take on a job like this , why does she not want the current cleaner if his works ok ? Trouble in the making I think , if he was doing a poor job ,irregular or a genuine reason then we would quote the job .

We regularly quote for commercial work where their current window cleaner is doing a decent job but they need to check what prices are out there. Do I quote high to make sure I don't take others work, no. I quote a price I'm happy with. There was a Mod on here, that I rarely saw eye to eye with, said that the competition didn't pay his bills. I don't see any difference to what you've done
Virtually every year I renew services, and like to stay loyal, but do change if the others are cheaper and appear of the same quality. They've done the same thing. What I would say is, don't expect to keep them very long

It may not be down
It may not be down to the quality of work, it may be down to the window cleaner? There is a window cleaner in my area who loves to brag to his customers about how well he is doing, where he is going on holiday etc…. Absolute no tact…. It’s rubbed some people up the wrong way and that’s how I’ve ended up with some of his customers. All my customers don’t think I go further than Blackpool for my holibobs ?. But also sometimes people just want a change.

Simple fact, you're a window cleaner who may just know the previous cleaner she may have not wanted to disclose the issue she had with him, he could have been a perv which is something someone said to me about their previous cleaner I sometimes just don't ask because one less job for someone else is a job for me

Bottom line is no customer ‘belongs’ to any window cleaner. If you are reliable, friendly and do a good job then you’ve got a really good chance of keeping a customer for years but it’s not a given.
If someone asks you to quote then don’t overthink it just go and quote. Quote your own price regardless of what the last cleaner charged and some you will get and some you won’t.
40 years ago when I started there was a kind of unwritten rule where window cleaners did for the most part stick to their own ‘patch’ but as the years passed and people started to move around more that went out of the window as people ‘took’ their window cleaner with them.
Now it’s generally accepted that it’s dog eat dog out there. There was a time when you would never have had multiple window cleaners in one area.

Bottom line is no customer ‘belongs’ to any window cleaner. If you are reliable, friendly and do a good job then you’ve got a really good chance of keeping a customer for years but it’s not a given.
If someone asks you to quote then don’t overthink it just go and quote. Quote your own price regardless of what the last cleaner charged and some you will get and some you won’t.
40 years ago when I started there was a kind of unwritten rule where window cleaners did for the most part stick to their own ‘patch’ but as the years passed and people started to move around more that went out of the window as people ‘took’ their window cleaner with them.
Now it’s generally accepted that it’s dog eat dog out there. There was a time when you would never have had multiple window cleaners in one area.
When I started 20 years ago that u written rule was kind of still around. Nowadays I would say it's just a few who are stuck in the times past that would even care.

When I started 20 years ago that u written rule was kind of still around. Nowadays I would say it's just a few who are stuck in the times past that would even care.
There is no such thing as someone’s patch , it’s a free country and anyone has the right to canvass and work ware they want , deliberately undercutting is wrong in my eyes , if we get asked to quote another cleaners job we won’t unless there is a genuine reason why they want to change , and we will always go in with a high price never the same or cheaper , but there are a lot of unscrupulous people that will , but from my experience they don’t last long generally they are cheap ,do a poor job and disappear this time of year ??

Nope, couldnt care less about other window cleaners. If someone asks for a quote then i will give them one, unless i dont fancy the job for whatever reason but whether they currently have a cleaner or not is none of my concern.

At the end of the day shes not happy for whatever reason with her current service. Not your problem to identify the issue. If you want the work quote her if you dont let her get another company to quote her.

Of course its quite possible that the other window cleaner dropped her, maybe she was rude to him or didn't pay him promptly, she could be really picky or regularly given him the old " can you leave it this time" routine, just a thought.

Nope, couldnt care less about other window cleaners. If someone asks for a quote then i will give them one, unless i dont fancy the job for whatever reason but whether they currently have a cleaner or not is none of my concern.
Each to their own but I wouldn’t want to deliberately tread on anyone else’s toes there is plenty of work out there for us all , most of us around hear know each other well and get on ,passing work on to the newer starters and trying to offer them help , I feel that’s the best way to be , there are a couple of unsavoury characters but they are by far the minority.

Each to their own but I wouldn’t want to deliberately tread on anyone else’s toes there is plenty of work out there for us all , most of us around hear know each other well and get on ,passing work on to the newer starters and trying to offer them help , I feel that’s the best way to be , there are a couple of unsavoury characters but they are by far the minority.
I've got to say I do actually believe the sincerity of this post and that is very commendable - there are no values like that around here but it's a nice idea. Fair play to you?

I did a first clean today on ground floor flat for £40. It hadn't been touched for 5 years and no one wanted to clean them. She called me and I took a look and quoted the price and she was over the moon. Took me half an hour and did the sills with pink stuff and scour pad (I still have 50 tubs & 100 pads) and they came up great. I have to clean her mum's now so everyone a winner. Up here no one seems to want to do first cleans bar me if money is right. ?

I did a first clean today on ground floor flat for £40. It hadn't been touched for 5 years and no one wanted to clean them. She called me and I took a look and quoted the price and she was over the moon. Took me half an hour and did the sills with pink stuff and scour pad (I still have 50 tubs & 100 pads) and they came up great. I have to clean her mum's now so everyone a winner. Up here no one seems to want to do first cleans bar me if money is right. ?
Waiting for @steve garwood to do the honours...

Back