Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Taking other window cleaners work

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I've got to say I do actually believe the sincerity of this post and that is very commendable - there are no values like that around here but it's a nice idea. Fair play to you?
There aren’t that many cleaners around hear to the number of houses and many have only started over the last 3 years or so. We always stop and have a chat with each other as I said earlier there are a couple of nasty ones but we all avoid them or they avoid us ?? we all get on ok and pass work around that we cannot take on ,warn each other of messers , we all know what each other does to a greater extent, it works well for us all , some of the newer ones will ask how do you do xyz and we try to help them do the stuff for themselves there are several on hear that are local to me that have been out with us to learn how to do various jobs , one bought one of my gutter vacs after learning how to do it he couldn’t afford new one at the time , there is more than enough work for us all we also compare prices so that we are in the same ball park for similar jobs this also benefits us all , I don’t get this attitude of some that they see any other cleaner as the enemy .

There aren’t that many cleaners around hear to the number of houses and many have only started over the last 3 years or so. We always stop and have a chat with each other as I said earlier there are a couple of nasty ones but we all avoid them or they avoid us ?? we all get on ok and pass work around that we cannot take on ,warn each other of messers , we all know what each other does to a greater extent, it works well for us all , some of the newer ones will ask how do you do xyz and we try to help them do the stuff for themselves there are several on hear that are local to me that have been out with us to learn how to do various jobs , one bought one of my gutter vacs after learning how to do it he couldn’t afford new one at the time , there is more than enough work for us all we also compare prices so that we are in the same ball park for similar jobs this also benefits us all , I don’t get this attitude of some that they see any other cleaner as the enemy .
Maybe we just have the fire brigade mentality. We have all heard the stories of a guy getting promoted and leaving the watch and saying i'm glad to be away from that lot only for years later to reappear as the boss. Better to say good stuff about fellow workers or nothing because all it does is come back to haunt us in the fullness of time.

I think that's a very nice way to be and I'm sure people appreciate being able to go out with you to see how things are done - after all, there are many potential pitfalls.
I know you know your stuff and give excellent advice (and actually are one of the main contributors) and are well established and an employer so I think it's very much to your credit that you have that attitude.
There have been a few occasions I've been doing a patio or driveway and the regular window cleaner has turned up - with an attitude and if anything they've been hostile because the owner has told them to come back another day after I've finished. There is no need for it and surely it's easier to try and get along?

I think that's a very nice way to be and I'm sure people appreciate being able to go out with you to see how things are done - after all, there are many potential pitfalls.
I know you know your stuff and give excellent advice (and actually are one of the main contributors) and are well established and an employer so I think it's very much to your credit that you have that attitude.
There have been a few occasions I've been doing a patio or driveway and the regular window cleaner has turned up - with an attitude and if anything they've been hostile because the owner has told them to come back another day after I've finished. There is no need for it and surely it's easier to try and get along?
Yes I agree I know ime lucky ware I am with minimal competition but it costs nothing to be polite , and there is no shortage of work ,I accept some areas it’s probebly hard to gain customers due to the number of cleaners I have always been open and tried to help ones , ime still learning as well in certain areas ,doesn’t matter how much experience you have there is always something to learn , I have always been a great believer in sharing knowledge the area I live in the culture is don’t tell anyone how to do a job as they will then be able to do it themselves and not need you , by trade I am a sprayer panel beater when I was an apprentice the qualified guys would do a job for you but would not show you how to do it for yourself , I have never forgotten that I think that’s why I try to share what I know and am always happy to be taught new things .

I did a first clean today on ground floor flat for £40. It hadn't been touched for 5 years and no one wanted to clean them. She called me and I took a look and quoted the price and she was over the moon. Took me half an hour and did the sills with pink stuff and scour pad (I still have 50 tubs & 100 pads) and they came up great. I have to clean her mum's now so everyone a winner. Up here no one seems to want to do first cleans bar me if money is right. ?
Boast post

Each to their own but I wouldn’t want to deliberately tread on anyone else’s toes there is plenty of work out there for us all , most of us around hear know each other well and get on ,passing work on to the newer starters and trying to offer them help , I feel that’s the best way to be , there are a couple of unsavoury characters but they are by far the minority.

What do you mean by tread on someone's toes.

If you get asked for a quote do you not quote it ?

I don't see any cleaners as the enemy and have got on with almost all that I have come across whilst out working.

That doesn't mean if someone asks me for a quote I won't because she's uses "bob". If she's asking me for a quote Bob must be doing something wrong. If I'm asked to quote I couldn't care less if they have a cleaner or not or who it is, it's just business not personal.

Maybe you are in a small village where everyone knows everyone and only a small number of window cleaners so you pass each other work and have a community spirit about it. That's great but I'm in a city with dozens of window cleaners and it's dog eat dog, look after number 1, other window cleaners don't pay my bills.

What do you mean by tread on someone's toes.

If you get asked for a quote do you not quote it ?

I don't see any cleaners as the enemy and have got on with almost all that I have come across whilst out working.

That doesn't mean if someone asks me for a quote I won't because she's uses "bob". If she's asking me for a quote Bob must be doing something wrong. If I'm asked to quote I couldn't care less if they have a cleaner or not or who it is, it's just business not personal.

Maybe you are in a small village where everyone knows everyone and only a small number of window cleaners so you pass each other work and have a community spirit about it. That's great but I'm in a city with dozens of window cleaners and it's dog eat dog, look after number 1, other window cleaners don't pay my bills.
Most that have a cleaner are after a cheaper price , ime not interested in quoting cheaper to get any work , we would always charge more than what they were paying before , and unless they had a valied reason to sack the previous guy no we would not quote the job obviously we don’t know every situation , but we do know who does work in most areas and I would ask why do you want to change , most will say why if they choose not to that’s fine . I don’t live in a little village but most hear don’t have the kind of attitude that your area seams to have , generally we all get along very well and we have so much work that it helps out the new guys and the customers it’s a win win for all .

Each to their own but I wouldn’t want to deliberately tread on anyone else’s toes there is plenty of work out there for us all , most of us around hear know each other well and get on ,passing work on to the newer starters and trying to offer them help , I feel that’s the best way to be , there are a couple of unsavoury characters but they are by far the minority.
I did a first clean today on ground floor flat for £40. It hadn't been touched for 5 years and no one wanted to clean them. She called me and I took a look and quoted the price and she was over the moon. Took me half an hour and did the sills with pink stuff and scour pad (I still have 50 tubs & 100 pads) and they came up great. I have to clean her mum's now so everyone a winner. Up here no one seems to want to do first cleans bar me if money is right. ?
It’s all in the confidence. People don’t think they can charge a lot for a fair job. Number one thing is knowing your worth in this industry

It’s all in the confidence. People don’t think they can charge a lot for a fair job. Number one thing is knowing your worth in this industry
I wasn't going to commrnt but decided I've got to cod that's a rather bold statement to make and very easy to say, but the reality is somewhat more nuanced than that.
"Knowing your worth"?? You can think what you like but it also needs to equate to what customers think it's worth and what they consider to be a reasonable, realistic price. Otherwise, they're not going to pay it.
How important are you to them ?... You're not. Does the windows not being cleaned affect the quality of their life? No it doesn't.
Is there a shortage of window cleaners? No. Is it difficult to find a new window cleaner? No.

Cstomers are generally willing to pay a decent price for a good service but there needs to be a sensible perspective. We are all eminently replaceable.
Value for money is what matters to people. And my personal view is it's got to be fair all round. Fair price to earn a decent, sustainable income.

Most that have a cleaner are after a cheaper price , ime not interested in quoting cheaper to get any work , we would always charge more than what they were paying before , and unless they had a valied reason to sack the previous guy no we would not quote the job obviously we don’t know every situation , but we do know who does work in most areas and I would ask why do you want to change , most will say why if they choose not to that’s fine . I don’t live in a little village but most hear don’t have the kind of attitude that your area seams to have , generally we all get along very well and we have so much work that it helps out the new guys and the customers it’s a win win for all .

Fair enough, i dont really think that much into it. If someone asks me for a quote i`ll give them a quote if i fancy the job. If they do or dont have a window cleaner never enters my mind not really interested either way.

Back