Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Tank vent... I think

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Baldmonkey

Hi guys, in the middle of a new build and have been thinking about the tank flow, it has two air tight caps and has no way of allowing air in when the pum takes it to replace the water, is there such a thing as a valve that allows air in but not water out.

Would this just be a simple check valve on the lid or the top?

Help appreciated

Not sure if you can buy them but some snorkel's have like a ping pong ball that hangs down so if it contacts the water it seals off the breathing pips so you can't breat water into your mouth.
I think they are called dry snorkels:
Dry-Snorkel-Float-Valve.jpg

A breather pipe is the only viable option. I fitted a one way check valve on my first self build tank - to allow air in when the water was being used. That was fine - but when I filled the tank (solenoid auto shut off) the air had no where to go, which made the tank blow up/expand until the pressure was that great it popped the seal on the lid. You can get lids with a built in ‘breather’ but they aren’t water tight - which defeats the object!!!

A breather pipe is the only viable option. I fitted a one way check valve on my first self build tank - to allow air in when the water was being used. That was fine - but when I filled the tank (solenoid auto shut off) the air had no where to go, which made the tank blow up/expand until the pressure was that great it popped the seal on the lid. You can get lids with a built in ‘breather’ but they aren’t water tight - which defeats the object!!!
I just place a cloth over the lid before I set off on a morning but very little water comes out, by the time I've done my first job or few the level has dropped enough not to be an issue

I have a price of plastic over the opening of my tank and screw the lid over it to stop leaking.
I drilled a small hole in the top of my tank and forced a small length of pole hose through it so the tank can breath. Simples ?

Back