Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Tendering for commercial company's

WCF

Help Support WCF:

When we used to take on commercial work I used to get around 7 or 8 if every 10 by simply submitting a full RAMS with each quote. 
I've found this a couple of times, now I've got RAMS set up its just 5 minutes to change the name of the company and send it over. I did a quote for a care home recently, only a little on, no manager on site so I dealt with a staff member. When I turned up to clean it she told me the office were very impressed with my efficiency so took me even though I wasn't the cheapest they just liked the idea of not chasing RAMS and PL certificates. I also find its a good idea to send an updated copy of the PL certificate without being prompted, a few got back to me and thanked me that they wouldn't have to chase it.

They got back to me saying not to bother as the budget was £8 per store per clean so I went and put the kettle on. 
£72 for a days work travelling a county, they must have people chomping at the bit for that contract ?

I did get an email telling me to do all the Vodaphone stores in Nottingham once, the whole of Nottinghamshire, stretches from Grantham to Ilkeston. Bout 9 stores if I recall. Would take a whole day to drive round and do them all in and out by hand and a cladding clean once per month.  

I was literally told to do it in an first email... never spoke to the people before. 

So thought i'd chance it for giggles and said 'no problem' £30 per store per clean. 

They got back to me saying not to bother as the budget was £8 per store per clean so I went and put the kettle on. 

Lol yes that’s exactly the kind of prices that they think ones will work for , total waist of time , cannot better a good domestic round with some well priced commercial jobs to give a bit of variety 

I do an estate agent, charge £8 for once a week clean. I need to invoice head office once back home and email accross every time. Surely someone has a company card they can zap on my izettle. Some People make life hard. 

I do an estate agent, charge £8 for once a week clean. I need to invoice head office once back home and email accross every time. Surely someone has a company card they can zap on my izettle. Some People make life hard. 

Sorry mate sounds like you're the one making it hard work.  £8 for all that? Clean windows, email invoice, wait for payment.  Not worth £8 mate.

I have a £10 minimum on shop fronts recently increased one to £11 whilst the old school lads are charging about £6 

True @Green Pro Clean Ltd its priced correctly if I was paid cash or any method on the day, but not for invoice etc. Hard to price something involving office time as it were. 

I beg to differ as they say. I would simply say £8 cash on the day or £16 invoiced on 30 days. 

You'd be surprised how fast the  shop manager learns to take a tenner from the biscuit barrel.  

I beg to differ as they say. I would simply say £8 cash on the day or £16 invoiced on 30 days. 

You'd be surprised how fast the  shop manager learns to take a tenner from the biscuit barrel.  

If it's a national estate agency and their policy is for the accountants department to sort it then you have no choice but to have the invoice sent to head office office and await payment, it will no doubt all go this way eventually with national chains due to administration and wanting to keep track of everything. 

Last edited by a moderator:
If it's a national estate agency and their policy is for the accountants department to sort it then you have no choice but to have the invoice sent to head office office and await payment, it will no doubt all go this way eventually with national chains due to administration and wanting to keep track of everything. 

Yes and I have been around long enough to understand this but here's the kicker..... 

Putting in invoices, doing the job, waiting 30 days (often longer) for payment is not worth £10 or even £20 to me.   This is the type of work that I consider a waste of time and would rather leave the ball ache to someone else. 

I used to (a decade ago) work for a large facilities firm in the midlands. They did the windows nation wide for Gregs, Toby Carverys, Crown Carverys, NationWide Building Society, Derbyshire Building Society, Allied Irish and plenty more and this was on a national scale with 60 vans out. 

Ten years back they were charging £8 per pub flat rate INSIDE and OUT!  But they were sending a two man team with full van and all the diesel costs £8 per hour per man etc so no wonder independents can't compete. 

Long story short we now have a few of the Gregs around here at many times more that CMS (the company) charged back when. 

As long as window cleaners keep taking on the work and low balling the prices and waiting weeks for payments the shops will continue to use them.  If and it's a massive IF every windy in the country said nope.  Min price now £20 and thats that the shops would still pay it. It is in anyones nature to get the best value for their companies needs as possible. 

I have 2 mornings a week on retail work and the hourly rate is very good.

Like houses unless they are large and very well priced it is pointless pulling up to just clean one on its own.

Most of the window cleaners are offered shop work where they are told the price is £6-8 is subbed work this would have gone through 2 or 3 companies all taking there % before the cleaner gets it.

Back