Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

The Price of cleaning after Covid 19 a realistic shift for our industry

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I feel we should drop phrases like this that hint at an unprofessional approach and method.
I abhor calls to 'ban' or changes phrases just because a minorities sensabilities may be offended by some wording - if you don't like it, well....... you know the rest.  It is just an old fashioned descriptive term NOTHING MORE -- 

Another phrase I read somewhere today was that we are something like (can't recall exact words)  lowest of the low, second only to bin men or something like that.
You got that out of context somewhat by leaving off the end of the phrase, I wll aslo paraphrase @Dave B that said it.   'we are the lowest of the low, second only to bin men -- 'IN THE EYES OF THE CUSTOMER' ' selective quoting can change the context of anything to be well out of place -- 

I totally get what you are saying and I am proud to have been a window cleaner, when asked by people what I do I dont say 'mostly sit on a tropical beach whilst growing a sucessful window cleaning franchise business'   I just say window cleaner (which trust me is job they just dont understand in SE Asia) 

Dave is right about the way we are looked at, that was just a statement of fact - I have even heard friends of mine saying talking to their partners when asked what I do say, 'oh he's 'just' a window cleaner'  I smile to myself and think, yup, JUST a window cleaner.  

Changing termiology for the sake of it is far too depressing an issue to deal with on a forum where most want a bit of banter, talk shop and take the mick out of people they have know for years both in person and on here - 

Like the last time we allowed change -- DaveyBoy (snot nosed little brat) suddenly became Dave B - You have no idea how nauseated I was, he may have upgraded to the mature political name but his jokes stayed the same!  

(Personal note to Dave so none of the rest of you bother to read below this line) 
I include no 'lols' or winky emojies as you know well enough I am talking cr8p 

I abhor calls to 'ban' or changes phrases just because a minorities sensabilities may be offended by some wording - if you don't like it, well....... you know the rest.  It is just an old fashioned descriptive term NOTHING MORE -- 

You got that out of context somewhat by leaving off the end of the phrase, I wll aslo paraphrase @Dave B that said it.   'we are the lowest of the low, second only to bin men -- 'IN THE EYES OF THE CUSTOMER' ' selective quoting can change the context of anything to be well out of place -- 

I totally get what you are saying and I am proud to have been a window cleaner, when asked by people what I do I dont say 'mostly sit on a tropical beach whilst growing a sucessful window cleaning franchise business'   I just say window cleaner (which trust me is job they just dont understand in SE Asia) 

Dave is right about the way we are looked at, that was just a statement of fact - I have even heard friends of mine saying talking to their partners when asked what I do say, 'oh he's 'just' a window cleaner'  I smile to myself and think, yup, JUST a window cleaner.  

Changing termiology for the sake of it is far too depressing an issue to deal with on a forum where most want a bit of banter, talk shop and take the mick out of people they have know for years both in person and on here - 

Like the last time we allowed change -- DaveyBoy (snot nosed little brat) suddenly became Dave B - You have no idea how nauseated I was, he may have upgraded to the mature political name but his jokes stayed the same!  

(Personal note to Dave so none of the rest of you bother to read below this line) 
I include no 'lols' or winky emojies as you know well enough I am talking cr8p 
Exactly mate.

It's how we are perceived and I care not 1 iota how others think of me.

I have a good business and earn good money all from being "just a window cleaner".

It is better to be thought of like that sometimes rather than the flash windie who "obviously earns too much" (in the eyes of the customers) so they don't moan at my high prices.. probably as they must think we only do a handfull of jobs a day.

People who worry about how they are perceived obviously have issues.

As long as I'm perceived as professional that's all that matters.

Don't you know about drying time on frames? to avoid possible particulate matter being left behind? on the end of one of your vids you said Quote "you have to let them dry" so tbf i really do these days, and it's well worth it...    
I had to sit on this for a couple of days to avoid upetting the mods with the thoughts in my head and here is my restrained reply -- 

Addressing what I did or didn't say (I probably did as I say so much) but yes, you need to allow the window to dry fully before you can determine if there are any spots left once the drops are dried on the glass -- nothing to do with sills - 

If I did say (again I admit I probably did) 'you have to let them dry' -- I would not have pre empted that with the prefix - 'Sit there and wait as.........' 

Next point you raise - The windows drying has nothing to do with particulate matter being left behind - as you seem to have a penchant for being pedantic it is rinsing correctly that will determine what is left behind on the glass or not.  

Lastly, this post seemed to have started as you were chuffed at your £20 hourly rates, good salary for anyone that's come to the business from a minimum wage (or there abouts) job.  It's not going to impress anyone that's been in the business for more that a year.  

That is it - I am done with comment on this post!  Now, where is my frustrated face emoji? 

Last edited by a moderator:
the legend.
Many years ago I was living in a shared house and went downstairs one morning and Bez is sat on the sofa in the living room.......I didnt stay there much longer.....he was always up to no good....?

What a lot of people dont know is his dad was a copper and he comes from a middle class family......

Many years ago I was living in a shared house and went downstairs one morning and Bez is sat on the sofa in the living room.......I didnt stay there much longer.....he was always up to no good....?

What a lot of people dont know is his dad was a copper and he comes from a middle class family......
Wow that is surprising. Mind you, in my raving days there always was lots of middle and upper class into the scene.

Wow that is surprising. Mind you, in my raving days there always was lots of middle and upper class into the scene.
Why do people always assume that any particular genre is the exclusive territory of any particular class or creed of people?  

I do admit though that some fashions should not cross creeds genere - such as skinny pasty white boys with dread locks -- and still they are convinced they look cool!  ?

Why do people always assume that any particular genre is the exclusive territory of any particular class or creed of people?  

I do admit though that some fashions should not cross creeds genere - such as skinny pasty white boys with dread locks -- and still they are convinced they look cool!  ?
lol yes, the white rastas. The mind boggles. (unless genuine albino)

This is very true Mr. Green.

As you know I go to a lot of ska and skinhead conventions. My friend Martin is a millionaire several times over as he is a lawyer in London’s square mile.

Not only does Martin go in full skinhead clobber to these conventions  (as do I), but he also has a season ticket at Millwall with me.

Two things you wouldn’t associate with a top lawyer ??‍?

Latest Posts

Back