Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Thoughts on frost prevention

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Not exactly the same set up, but I keep my r.o & d.i outside and fill up a big storage tank. I was constantly worried about my R.O freezing. But keeping the r.o on over night helped me (even if that meant having to waste some and refill again) because even when it was -3 outside and snow everywhere, back in that really cold spell in March, the tap water was still coming out at 6 degrees. But I don’t have a big amazing R.O so it’s a bit slower than most anyway which actually was to my benefit then. 

But for the van I’ve just been sticking in s heater every freezing night. But I like the idea of a immersion heater to get the water warm(ish) for the hose etc

If u isulate bare steel panels,like they do for camper vans I think your van will be warmer.the roof of my vw transporter is done and the effect is substansial.Sorry don't have a link,but google Harrisons Trim.Cut to size,clean panel,peel of back and stick.1/4" thick dense foam rubber topped with good thickness heat reflector. Yep Quality stuff.Stop the cold radiating into your van.

At the tail end of the day insulation will just slow down the rate of heat loss. It will never prevent it. There will always have to be a heat source inside the van to keep temperatures above freezing. The better the insulation the less the heat needed to warm the insulated space. We have a desk top fridge in the shed outside. During those odd freezing spells in winter the contents of the fridge freeze up. Little by little the 3 or 4 degrees C temperature inside the fridge escapes and the temperature inside drops to the outside temperature. Our neighbour has a large fridge freezer in his garage. He has a small heater next to the fridge which he switches on if the temperature drops for too long.

I've never bothered with any insulation in the roof of the van, but its something I've been thinking about recently. Even a layer of camper van lining carpet material  would be better than nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can someone tell me if this is good for insulation on roof then ply line ? Also any good for sides behind panelling would I need to spray glue it in place

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

Johnwindow1987 said:
Can someone tell me if this is good for insulation on roof then ply line ? Also any good for sides behind panelling would I need to spray glue it in place

IMG_1433.PNG

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

The roll that you have shown above looks like polyester wadding used in upholstery. You can use a spray adhesive to stick it to things but in a damp environment like the back of a van it could retain moisture and go moldy. probably better off with polystyrene sheeting and maybe put a layer of that foil backed bubble wrap / insulation over the top too ?

If you look at van camper  insulating on youtube ,they have a special glue to stick carpet liner to ply lini

At the tail end of the day insulation will just slow down the rate of heat loss. It will never prevent it. There will always have to be a heat source inside the van to keep temperatures above freezing. The better the insulation the less the heat needed to warm the insulated space. We have a desk top fridge in the shed outside. During those odd freezing spells in winter the contents of the fridge freeze up. Little by little the 3 or 4 degrees C temperature inside the fridge escapes and the temperature inside drops to the outside temperature. Our neighbour has a large fridge freezer in his garage. He has a small heater next to the fridge which he switches on if the temperature drops for too long.

I've never bothered with any insulation in the roof of the van, but its something I've been thinking about recently. Even a layer of camper van lining carpet material  would be better than nothing.
don't bother with carpet liner,its not carpet,but a material, for finishing off ply lineing if you put the stuff I suggested which is also a sound deadener then ply then the carpet,then the moody lights,then the drinks cabinet...The issue is looks, my van should have a roof lineing but it didn't.one day I might fit one(along with the drinks cabinet) but for now looking like the inside of a space rocket not a problem.Yours warmly D/geezer

That big roll of white insulation(pictured) looks like the stuff between my suggestion and ply lineing giving even more insulation.Emphorsis on stuff.not glue.Bye the way,the spray glue for the carpet material,is special insomuch as it resists high temp.so as not to come off in summer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok so there’s probably going to be a really good reason why I can’t do this but I’m planning on buying one of these heaters with a thermostat... see pics...

i have to charge my van battery every so often anyway anyway so I have an ext cable in the van.

If I turn this heater on at night will I have any issues with condensation etc? The water in my tank is always fine but it’s all the hoses and reels I’ve had issue with in the past.

thankyou in advance.

07FF0F50-B73C-42AC-961C-A7E1594DEF35.png

208DF459-4FF8-4D33-AD06-A5A96383741D.png

F454BE83-E13D-4F31-B2D5-B27190C8062F.png

Ok so there’s probably going to be a really good reason why I can’t do this but I’m planning on buying one of these heaters with a thermostat... see pics...

i have to charge my van battery every so often anyway anyway so I have an ext cable in the van.

If I turn this heater on at night will I have any issues with condensation etc? The water in my tank is always fine but it’s all the hoses and reels I’ve had issue with in the past.

thankyou in advance.

View attachment 15090

View attachment 15091

View attachment 15092
You should be fine with that or any kind of electric heater.   Condensation will build up with lack of ventilation.  All vehicles have some kind of ventilation 

I fitted the foil bubble rap on roof of my old van but I had loads of condensation droplets inside [emoji31][emoji31]

I fitted the foil bubble rap on roof of my old van but I had loads of condensation droplets inside
emoji31.png
emoji31.png

I already get a lot of water droplets on the roof so I’m worried about making it worse! ?

I already get a lot of water droplets on the roof so I’m worried about making it worse! [emoji53]
That’s why I put the foil bubble rap on to try stop it. But to be honest it was worse than ever. I have a new van now and don’t want to put anything on the roof till I know it will work 100%. Someone told me to get the people that do cavity wall to spray then have the ply fitted . [emoji848]

Reading all these comments makes me realise how much work I need try do in so little time with a lwb hi top transit - 0 insulation , no way to get a heater into the back of it , .... I just about got by last year with draining everything and quilts over hose reel , pump Di vessels

I live in the Western Isles of Scotland, was -4 here the other night, had a oil heater in one van and used a 300w fish tank heater (400 to 600 litre) in the tank of the other van, both methods work, i have both reels connected back into the tanks, and circulate the water for a half hour before i go to bed in the tank with the Aquarium heater. So far so good 

That’s why I put the foil bubble rap on to try stop it. But to be honest it was worse than ever. I have a new van now and don’t want to put anything on the roof till I know it will work 100%. Someone told me to get the people that do cavity wall to spray then have the ply fitted .
emoji848.png
Don't get any condensation with mine,put your hand on,ok.put your hand on bare steel,frozen hand.This insulation cuts down on the amount of cold getting into your van.

Never insulated anything in my van either , gets really cold here , oil rad keeps everything good , and use the lpg heaters in the van through the day to keep everything flowing .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you look at van camper  insulating on youtube ,they have a special glue to stick carpet liner to ply lini

don't bother with carpet liner,its not carpet,but a material, for finishing off ply lineing if you put the stuff I suggested which is also a sound deadener then ply then the carpet,then the moody lights,then the drinks cabinet...The issue is looks, my van should have a roof lineing but it didn't.one day I might fit one(along with the drinks cabinet) but for now looking like the inside of a space rocket not a problem.Yours warmly D/geezer

That big roll of white insulation(pictured) looks like the stuff between my suggestion and ply lineing giving even more insulation.Emphorsis on stuff.not glue.Bye the way,the spray glue for the carpet material,is special insomuch as it resists high temp.so as not to come off in summer.

??? I can't find what Emphorsis is. ?

emphasis(my spellings always been bad prob still is,but the dictionary is in the other room)They stuff or tuck that white stuff behind the ply lineing maybe  some gaffa tape to keep it in place, then put the ply back on. 

My wife cousin once told me his window cleaner friend has a floating pond heater in his tank when its cold. Takes the chill off the water in the morning and gets him through to when it warms up later in the day. Can't see it would help keep the hose reel from freezing but the tank and connections to the pump certainly. I imagine its something similar to this;

https://www.finest-filters.co.uk/600w-floating-pond-heater-for-koi-fish-pond-anti-ice-winter/

My only concern would be the actual heater contaminating the water and increasing the TDS but I imagine i'm just being paranoid.

Latest Posts

Back