Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Thoughts on van signwriting

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I had mine done for two reasons, firstly because the van needed tidying up and more importantly because I wanted to be easily identifiable to my customers.

One farm I do, the poor farmer used to come racing out every time I pulled up in my tatty white tranny, (thinking I was some dodgy thieving individual.)

Now he just glances and waves, and always brings out tea before I'm finished.

picture upload sites

full

This is how mine is coming along, just looks better than plain white van to be honest, done with ebay kit for £49. Since I done it several new regulars and also as you see on the back, it says 'One Off Cleans' I have had 8 of those 6 at £30, one at £45 and a full PVC restoration at £140 so cant really complain. /emoticons/smile.png)

It looks professional like, is I hard to design when you send them the details , like the sizing etc

Hi guys

From looking at a lot of designs, both here and Google Images, the actual word 'Window Cleaning' is in very small lettering, compared to the company name?

I get that some offer more services than simple window (as gutter, cladding etc

) cleaning, like pressure washing and what not. But when you are driving past a parked van, how much time do you get to read the sign writing? Very little. So for example the plans @peter rogers posted earlier, if I drive past, my eyes would be drawn to 'Sparkle'. What's that? My initial reaction would be house cleaners (as in general not window cleaners), no I wouldn't think anymore. But 'Window Cleaning' as the focus point of the sign writing, grabs the attention.

If one has more than one string to their bow, pressure washing, general cleaning, odd jobs, whatever, personally I would either pick one field to advertise on the sign writing, or something like 'Jon's Property Cleaning' which encompasses everything.

I'm not saying people are wrong, but that is my opinion and experience (I have worked previously in advertising). Advertising shouldn't shout at people, but it must be clear to show what you do.

Regards

J

Good point Jon. I agreen I'm terms of attracting customers it would be ideal if you has your service in bold. My problem with that is if you offer services such as carpet cleaning which I do. It's a bit awkward pulling up to a carpet cleaning job in a window cleaning van and trying to come off as professional carpet cleaner. But if you only offer windows and linked jobs such as connys and gutters then it's a no brainer to have window cleaning as your main feature.

Hi guysFrom looking at a lot of designs, both here and Google Images, the actual word 'Window Cleaning' is in very small lettering, compared to the company name?

I get that some offer more services than simple window (as gutter, cladding etc

) cleaning, like pressure washing and what not. But when you are driving past a parked van, how much time do you get to read the sign writing? Very little. So for example the plans @peter rogers posted earlier, if I drive past, my eyes would be drawn to 'Sparkle'. What's that? My initial reaction would be house cleaners (as in general not window cleaners), no I wouldn't think anymore. But 'Window Cleaning' as the focus point of the sign writing, grabs the attention.

If one has more than one string to their bow, pressure washing, general cleaning, odd jobs, whatever, personally I would either pick one field to advertise on the sign writing, or something like 'Jon's Property Cleaning' which encompasses everything.

I'm not saying people are wrong, but that is my opinion and experience (I have worked previously in advertising). Advertising shouldn't shout at people, but it must be clear to show what you do.

Regards

J
My sign writer had this discussion with me and echoed what you just said.

However, he did also say that if you want to advertise multiple trades, the way to grab attention is by having a picture or character emblazoned on the van as well.

It was him who came up with my caricature, and I see it turn plenty of heads

Using the wording 'Window Cleaning' as the main feature does make lots of sense if you are looking to increase your customer base. But if like me you are after identification when you are driving around on country estates/manor houses then I need my name big and bold. I want the CCTV to pick out my van so the staff know its me on their property.

Some really nice vans on here. I love the way window cleaning has become a noticeable profession. Twenty odd years ago you rarely saw a vehicle marked up as window cleaner.

Back