Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Trolly v van mounted

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I lasted 3 months with the trolley then bought a tank and turned the trolley system into van mount....donkey work.

Get your hose management right and you won't look back. 

Yes it does   clean better and faster , but I don’t want to get into another debate ??, some will say it doesn’t make any difference, I wouldn’t have spent 15-20 k on it if it made no difference.
Its a no brainer... hot water used in any type of cleaning will cut throught dirt a lot faster.... but having hot water on board means more maintenance... so ill never go down the hot water route ? 

People who say hot water doesnt make difference dont have a clue... Hot water cuts through grime faster than cold water.. its obvious and common sense lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Would never want to spend more than a few hundred on it.. see that guy did it for £50 on YouTube. He loves it.. ?

Van mount is a lot easier , once u go van mount u will never look back
Well I have given it a go and I do look back thank you! Went van mount at the end of last year thinking it would make life easier but the flaming hose snagging on corners, garden gnomes, cat poo, getting tangled etc.. it just does my head in. The only thing i really like about it is the wfp link controller that i get to use with it - it's utterly brilliant. The back pack trolley with 10 / 20m of hose can't be beaten for speed and convenience though - no snagging, just drag the trolley round the corner with you and you're done. At this rate i'm gonna mothball the kit, get a transfer pump and resume with the back pack for all my work as the hose woes are really annoying me but one thing holding me back is the lack of a wireless controller for a back pack.

But I'd have to say to other back packers, get a van ASAP just so you can be done with the barrels. Doesn't matter if it's old, i saw a windy a while back up at my old filling point and his van was an utter wreck - total disgrace lol but he reckoned he was flat out with work.

If you're working on compact work though i can understand the preference for the van mounted hose.

Well I have given it a go and I do look back thank you! Went van mount at the end of last year thinking it would make life easier but the flaming hose snagging on corners, garden gnomes, cat poo, getting tangled etc.. it just does my head in. The only thing i really like about it is the wfp link controller that i get to use with it - it's utterly brilliant. The back pack trolley with 10 / 20m of hose can't be beaten for speed and convenience though - no snagging, just drag the trolley round the corner with you and you're done. At this rate i'm gonna mothball the kit, get a transfer pump and resume with the back pack for all my work as the hose woes are really annoying me but one thing holding me back is the lack of a wireless controller for a back pack.

But I'd have to say to other back packers, get a van ASAP just so you can be done with the barrels. Doesn't matter if it's old, i saw a windy a while back up at my old filling point and his van was an utter wreck - total disgrace lol but he reckoned he was flat out with work.

If you're working on compact work though i can understand the preference for the van mounted hose.
I that was my concern ?, I currently run 30m hose, sack trolly with backpack and barrel on top, I can do 6 or 7 medium houses before returning to the van. 

Have you not got a univalve to stop start your Water? 

The time your messing about with barrels all day.. u can do a house in that time.... so thats like 1-2 less houses a day.
That is like 10 jobs per week / and 40 jobs per month

I understand what your saying about hose snagging... but thats why u got to improve your hose management skills, one of the most important thigns about reach and wash  is hose management, once u got the hose management under control the job becomes a walk in the park.

Hope that helps ? 

The time your messing about with barrels all day.. u can do a house in that time.... so thats like 1-2 less houses a day.

I understand what your saying about hose snagging... but thats why u got to improve your hose management skills, one of the most important thigns about reach and wash  is hose management, once u got the hose management under control the job becomes a walk in the park.

Hope that helps ? 
With van mounted I'd have to move my van 3-4 times more in a day which is 1-2 houses a day or 40 houses.... I think you know where I'm going with this ?. If I was just starting out I would be more tempted but at my age I'm happy to do 6hrs a day 4 days a week ? lpus I only go through 6-7 barrels a day. 

Thanks for the advice tho ??

I that was my concern ?, I currently run 30m hose, sack trolly with backpack and barrel on top, I can do 6 or 7 medium houses before returning to the van. 

Have you not got a univalve to stop start your Water? 
30m of hose would do my head in - it's still gonna get caught on stuff even if its the thin pole hose. The most i've ever used is 20m and even that causes me annoyance - unless i'm working through someones garage.

Yes I have a univalve but there's no variable speed control like with the wfp link.

Hope that helps ? 
The barrels weren't that time consuming if i'm honest - grab, tip up, water pours out fast and then chuck it back in the motor. Sure returning to the motor to do it was a pain but dealing with the hose takes me far more time. What was doing me in was the weight of the bloody things and how it was affecting my back - which already has other issues. For that reason alone having a van and tank is bliss. 

The only hose management i can think of being particularly effective is to take the hose reel with you away from the van - allowing it to unroll as you move about - then winding it back up once you're done and returning to the van. Again a hose reel full of water = weight so that's a dud too.

If you are going down the trolley route permanently then get a Pure Freedom Nano Trolley. No more pouring just fit a hose reel to it's frame. Whether you have 20m or 100m on the reel it's there if you need it. I fitted a 100m hose on metal reel to a Nano years ago and it was really handy especially for Care homes/ University building or just strapped down to the back of van for 99 percent of jobs.

one thing holding me back is the lack of a wireless controller for a back pack.
Why can't you fit the wfp link controller to your backpack? It's only 4 wires! 2 to battery via fuse and maybe a switch, then other 2 to pump. It's all 12v so should be easy, only tricky thing will be mounting it but the trolley should give you space. If you do it right with decent connectors you could make it easy to disconnect from trolley. 

Alternatively you could use a 2 channel rf remote to switch between flow and no flow and full flow vs speed controller flow. 

I probably have an advantage as I was trained as electronics engineer but it's a basic 12v system that can't hurt you and as long as you have fuse close to battery connections you are not going to cause much damage even if you connect up wrong. If it's a gardiners backpack the wiring diagram is on their site - so easy to trace what is going on.

30m of hose would do my head in - it's still gonna get caught on stuff even if its the thin pole hose. The most i've ever used is 20m and even that causes me annoyance - unless i'm working through someones garage.

Yes I have a univalve but there's no variable speed control like with the wfp link.

The barrels weren't that time consuming if i'm honest - grab, tip up, water pours out fast and then chuck it back in the motor. Sure returning to the motor to do it was a pain but dealing with the hose takes me far more time. What was doing me in was the weight of the bloody things and how it was affecting my back - which already has other issues. For that reason alone having a van and tank is bliss. 

The only hose management i can think of being particularly effective is to take the hose reel with you away from the van - allowing it to unroll as you move about - then winding it back up once you're done and returning to the van. Again a hose reel full of water = weight so that's a dud too.
I find personally 30m is just right as it let's me leave trolly kerbside. I also have reserve barrel on my trolly so less trips to van.... If my back gets worse I like your idea of tank in van ?

What!? Jeez! I'd like to see a video of that. Flaming hell! Walk away with the hose reel unwinding. Return for the pole. Wind back in while carrying the reel back to the van... Go back for the pole. My back is screaming at the thought of it.

Am I the only person who finds this work, working from a van, a doddle? All of it! Certainly up to second and possibly third level. Different game entirely above that height of course. Grab the pole and a few meters of hose and go. A few obstacles and snags. No job I've ever worked in was without some annoyances.

Throughout my life I've often been reminded of the Who's song "Substitute". A line in it which says "The simple things in life are all complicated" The simple things in life are not complicated. They are made complicated, in my experience. ??

Last edited by a moderator:
What!? Jeez! I'd like to see a video of that. Flaming hell! Walk away with the hose reel unwinding. Return for the pole. Wind back in while carrying the reel back to the van... Go back for the pole. My back is screaming at the thought of it.

Am I the only person who finds this work, working from a van, a doddle? All of it! Certainly up to second and possibly third level. Different game entirely above that height of course. Grab the pole and a few meters of hose and go. A few obstacles and snags. No job I've ever worked in was without some annoyances.

Throughout my life I've often been reminded of the Who's song "Substitute". A line in it which says "The simple things in life are all complicated" The simple things in life are not complicated. They are made complicated, in my experience. ??
Mate its only a doddle once u got experience under your belt, people who prefer trolleys over van mounts are obviously bought up on using a mobile wfp system so they are used to it, but a van mount is the way forward all day long ? 

Back