Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Trolly v van mounted

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Yeah but people who make videos on youtube / facebook etc they alwyas so it slower  for show etc,,, when they are not getting recorded they will speed up... hope that makes sense mate lol

U could clean the Technique stadium with a full backpack ? 
I posted a video on Yt a while back that my son filmed when we got home from work. 100 degree fan jets in action. It is in more or less real time and is my basic technique whatever the type of glass. I might vary very slightly now and again for variety and experiment. It's perhaps not absolutely as fast as normal (only seconds in it). I was a touch out of sorts on the day as I was wearing a chemo pump under my shirt front that was administering a steady dose while I was working so was sapping my energy. Plus I'd already done a day on the round. If you do take a close look at it you will see that the glass is phobic and the bristles are rupturing the surface tension on the combined agitation and rinse down creating temporary micro-sheets. This I believe helps with the cleaning/rinsing.
The brush never leaves the work from start to finish. I'd suggest to read all the comments and my replies.

I highly recommend all of Squeeky Clean Dave's vids as well. They cover lots of different subjects well. They get to the point and are  excellent.

Most of the other Yt vids are waffling, faffing and over complicating something that is very simple

Last edited by a moderator:
I posted a video on Yt a while back that my son filmed when we got home from work. 100 degree fan jets in action. It is in more or less real time and is my technique whatever the type of glass. It's perhaps not absolutely as fast as normal (only seconds in it). I was a touch out of sorts on the day as I was wearing a chemo pump under my shirt front that was administering a steady dose while I was working so was sapping my energy. Plus I'd already done a day on the round. If you do take a close look at it you will see that the glass is phobic and the bristles are rupturing the surface tension on the combined agitation and rinse down creating temporary micro-sheets which I believe helps with the cleaning/rinsing.

The brush never leaves the work from start to finish. I'd suggest to read all the comments and my replies.

I highly recommend all of Squeeky Clean Dave's vids as well. They are excellent.

Most of the other Yt vids are waffling, faffing and over complicating something that is very simple
I totally agree with you Dave. I really like squeakys vids. I also rate ae Mackintosh's very highly to

Do you have a link - pm if you want?
I don't really know how to post a link. I'm a bit of a techno dinosaur. If you go in and type in. 100 degree fan jets in action that will take you straight to it. My wife just tried it to check. She said "Oh yes! You did clean our windows once."... That's me in the dog house again! I'm happy in the dog house, I feel a sense of security and home there. If anyone knows how to post the link, feel free. ?

I don't really know how to post a link. I'm a bit of a techno dinosaur. If you go in and type in. 100 degree fan jets in action that will take you straight to it. My wife just tried it to check. She said "Oh yes! You did clean our windows once."... That's me in the dog house again! I'm happy in the dog house, I feel a sense of security and home there. If anyone knows how to post the link, feel free. ?
Cool cheers. Go to your video and click the word Share under the video and it gives you some text to copy, then paste it here like this 

Link text is https://youtu.be/19aoNO9aKNU

I thought I was the dinosaur ? on hear ????? glad Ime not on my own ???? 

You must move like grease lightening - either that or you splash n dash lol.

I'm gonna have to start watching more windys on youtube to try and work out the right speed of working lol
I've only been cleaning windows since 1991 so still learning?

When i use the van mount I don't use a controller. 

Full flow scrub and rinse job done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where I live a 2 up 2 down is around £6.

3 on 1 backpack say 25L =£18 per pack. So 16 x 25L (400L) for a £300 day seems excessive to me not splash n dash. 

I do £250 with 150L - 175L

??
2 up 2 down here is my minimum price of £14

Where I live a 2 up 2 down is around £6.

3 on 1 backpack say 25L =£18 per pack. So 16 x 25L (400L) for a £300 day seems excessive to me not splash n dash. 

I do £250 with 150L - 175L

??
Are you using a univalve with your BP? - i have one fitted but never use it (yeah stupid prat ain't I). Might explain why i get through so much water..

You must move like grease lightening - either that or you splash n dash lol.

I'm gonna have to start watching more windys on youtube to try and work out the right speed of working lol
If you use a higher flow you will get through the work faster.

All last year I was using the pure freedom trolley with it on 50 flow, for some reason I seemed to have slowed down though, then last week I tried upping it to 60 and instantly jobs which were taking 40 minutes were taking 30 minutes.  Not only that the glass looks better, not that it looked bad, I thought it looked perfect but for some reason it looks like a deeper shine to it.

I think what I had done, at some point last year I have reduced it from 60 down to 20 which is what I use for fascias, then I've forgot what flow I usually use and put it at 50 instead of 60 and didn't think anything of it.

The difference is quite a large difference.  At 50 there is a lot of water, but there are bits where the brush hasn't got enough water between the bristles and the glass that leaves a dry spot.  On 60 it's just like a wall of water.  It works really well on hydrophobic glass as well, it's a much faster rinse chasing the beads.

I did 3 big houses today and each one I actually use slightly less water.  One house I normally use 2 drums and a 1/3rd of a drum, which is a pain as it slows me down going back for the 1/3rd.  Today I just used 2 drums [50 litres].

Well I have given it a go and I do look back thank you! Went van mount at the end of last year thinking it would make life easier but the flaming hose snagging on corners, garden gnomes, cat poo, getting tangled etc.. it just does my head in. The only thing i really like about it is the wfp link controller that i get to use with it - it's utterly brilliant. The back pack trolley with 10 / 20m of hose can't be beaten for speed and convenience though - no snagging, just drag the trolley round the corner with you and you're done. At this rate i'm gonna mothball the kit, get a transfer pump and resume with the back pack for all my work as the hose woes are really annoying me but one thing holding me back is the lack of a wireless controller for a back pack.

But I'd have to say to other back packers, get a van ASAP just so you can be done with the barrels. Doesn't matter if it's old, i saw a windy a while back up at my old filling point and his van was an utter wreck - total disgrace lol but he reckoned he was flat out with work.

If you're working on compact work though i can understand the preference for the van mounted hose.
I don't understand how you are getting snagged so much, maybe 12 years ago I did and have forgotten but it's very rare my hose gets snagged now 

The problems with trolleys is having to go back to the van and fill up,lugging it about and scrimping on water which can lead to quality issues...but if it works for you then good for you....

All my work is van mount....grab hose and pole,clean the job(s)then back to the van,press a button to reel in my hose and off to my next job...

The problems with trolleys is having to go back to the van and fill up,lugging it about and scrimping on water which can lead to quality issues...but if it works for you then good for you....

All my work is van mount....grab hose and pole,clean the job(s)then back to the van,press a button to reel in my hose and off to my next job...
I carry 45L on my trolly so don't have to go back to van as ofter in fact half the time I fill up as I pass my van. 

That said I would consider van mounted if it suited my work but at the moment trolley seems best.. 

Everyone has there preference, so long as it works for them then it's the best option but I'm always open to suggestions. 

Do you not get twisted hose? 

It's probably slower but it won't be that much slower.  I am set up in under a minute, I position the trolley at the corner of a semi and do the front and side of the house, then move the trolley to the corner at the rear of the house, then I'm done.

With the larger houses I'll position the trolley somewhere in the middle of the front of the house, do the front, then after that I change the barrel even if it's not empty as I'm still close to the van, takes less than a minute to change the barrel, then I crack on with the rest of the house.

It's only 3 barrel houses that are a pain as you have to go all the way from the back of the house to the van for the barrel change, but 3 barrel houses are good money anyway so I don't mind it.

My van is the only vehicle I use, so the ability to remove the barrels and kit is why it is probably the best option.  Filling the water ready on Friday evening and then using the van over the weekend would cost a fortune in fuel costs, plus I wouldn't be able to throw it about around all the roundabouts.   

I recognise that a van mount will most likely be faster and easier but if you're efficient with trolley placement and are clever with when to change the barrels then the time lost isn't much.

Also I don't conserve water, I just work faster.  That's one good thing about having a barrel in sight.  You know that if it takes 16 minutes to empty the barrel you know how long roughly you are taking whilst working.  It's like having a sand timer with you.  If it looks like it's going down too quickly and you will run out then you speed up to ensure that you don't.  It's probably this that has helped me speed up.  I'll have to try it at 100, I'll just be a blur with steam coming off the soles of my feet ?

I don't understand how you are getting snagged so much, maybe 12 years ago I did and have forgotten but it's very rare my hose gets snagged now 
On places with knomes, multople corners etc it's a pain. I have two houses in particular that are a menace like this - one is a bungalow which has multiple sticky out bits (eg side doors), another is a house with "stuff" everywhere.  It's just easier to take the trolley round rather than keep getting snagged on everything.

If you use a higher flow you will get through the work faster.

All last year I was using the pure freedom trolley with it on 50 flow, for some reason I seemed to have slowed down though, then last week I tried upping it to 60 and instantly jobs which were taking 40 minutes were taking 30 minutes. Not only that the glass looks better, not that it looked bad, I thought it looked perfect but for some reason it looks like a deeper shine to it.

I think what I had done, at some point last year I have reduced it from 60 down to 20 which is what I use for fascias, then I've forgot what flow I usually use and put it at 50 instead of 60 and didn't think anything of it.

The difference is quite a large difference. At 50 there is a lot of water, but there are bits where the brush hasn't got enough water between the bristles and the glass that leaves a dry spot. On 60 it's just like a wall of water. It works really well on hydrophobic glass as well, it's a much faster rinse chasing the beads.

I did 3 big houses today and each one I actually use slightly less water. One house I normally use 2 drums and a 1/3rd of a drum, which is a pain as it slows me down going back for the 1/3rd. Today I just used 2 drums [50 litres].
Hi mate, just been reading about your use of the Pure Freedom Nano trolley. What jets do you use?

Back