Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Trolly v van mounted

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Mate its only a doddle once u got experience under your belt, people who prefer trolleys over van mounts are obviously bought up on using a mobile wfp system so they are used to it, but a van mount is the way forward all day long ? 
It is a doddle! F me kidder, I'm 65, a small framed lightweight. Had six rounds of chemo, my innards rearranged in a seven hour operation a year ago where I was opened up from the shoulder blade on my back, diagonally, across and down through my rib cage to the belly button. My lung deflated, my oesophagus removed, my stomach bisected, rejoined into a tube and pulled up between my lungs to make up the difference for what was removed. A rib was cut through on one end and prised apart so the surgeon could get to a lung to deflate it to get to where he needed to. The rib will not be rejoined as it would cause an arthritic repair. It's simply layed across its neighbour, like crossed fingers. It moves and clicks when I move about, ie working or kayaking. With my shirt off I look like I've been in a sword duel.

I think if I find wfp a doddle, most reasonably fit and healthy people shouldn't find it too hard. I've done years of jackhammer and shovel work in my younger days as I worked my way up through utility and pipeline work. I know what real hard work is.

I say again, a doddle. ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe it's down to the individual and their work.  I've used a trolley since I switched to WFP in 2007, and can say with certainty that overall it's quicker and easier and less hassle on most of my work.  I have two mates who started with a van system because they were told it's quicker and easier, but they have very similar rounds to me.  Within a couple of years they were both using trolleys for almost all their work.

I'd say that for most, a van system is likely to be quicker and easier.  But for some, you won't beat a good trolley if you are well organized.
I use van mount and backpack on a trolley..some parts of town are like a maze of back alleys to get to the rears and backpack makes that a doddle.

I actually prefer the backpack to the van mount.

Why can't you fit the wfp link controller to your backpack? It's only 4 wires! 2 to battery via fuse and maybe a switch, then other 2 to pump. It's all 12v so should be easy, only tricky thing will be mounting it but the trolley should give you space. If you do it right with decent connectors you could make it easy to disconnect from trolley. 

Alternatively you could use a 2 channel rf remote to switch between flow and no flow and full flow vs speed controller flow. 

I probably have an advantage as I was trained as electronics engineer but it's a basic 12v system that can't hurt you and as long as you have fuse close to battery connections you are not going to cause much damage even if you connect up wrong. If it's a gardiners backpack the wiring diagram is on their site - so easy to trace what is going on.
I have been mulling that over actually. I found myself thinking that if i find a good connector with 4 contacts i could switch the controller between the van and BP and use it on the pair of them. Bit of velcro and job's a good'un.

I'd prefer to have a controller for each but they're pretty expensive so i think dual purposing the one unit might be my best option. @Ian Sheppardwould the controller need recalibrating each time i swapped it over? Also would it survive rain?

I actually prefer the backpack to the van mount.
Having tried the van mount myself, I'm with you on that. The only downside is lifting it back into the van but if it's empty it's no big issue.

It is a doddle! F me kidder, I'm 65, a small framed lightweight. Had six rounds of chemo, my innards rearranged in a seven hour operation a year ago where I was opened up from the shoulder blade on my back, diagonally, across and down through my rib cage to the belly button. My lung deflated, my oesophagus removed, my stomach bisected, rejoined into a tube and pulled up between my lungs to make up the difference for what was removed. A rib was cut through on one end and prised apart so the surgeon could get to a lung to deflate it to get to where he needed to. The rib will not be rejoined as it would cause an arthritic repair. It's simply layed across its neighbour, like crossed fingers. It moves and clicks when I move about, ie working or kayaking. With my shirt off I look like I've been in a sword duel.

I think if I find wfp a doddle, most reasonably fit and healthy people shouldn't find it too hard. I've done years of jackhammer and shovel work in my younger days as I worked my way up through utility and pipeline work. I know what real hard work is.

I say again, a doddle. ?
Awhh mate that sounds awful :( bless u ,  i wish u the best in your health ❤️

Hmm! some food for thought there. Could be handy to have a back pack as well as my van mount for those mid terrace propertys. Do you guys reckon you could clean a two up two down with 25 ltrs of pure?

Hmm! some food for thought there. Could be handy to have a back pack as well as my van mount for those mid terrace propertys. Do you guys reckon you could clean a two up two down with 25 ltrs of pure?
Yeah that's a doddle, usually I used 15 to 20 litres, but that's being really thorough on high flow.  Think I could do it with 12 litres if I had to.

Actually just thinking it is probably more like 20 litres.  Even though the barrels are 25 litres, if you fill them to the brim then there is more than 25 litres.  So I probably would use 20 litres but could do it with 15 if needed.

Yeah that's a doddle, usually I used 15 to 20 litres, but that's being really thorough on high flow.  Think I could do it with 12 litres if I had to.

Actually just thinking it is probably more like 20 litres.  Even though the barrels are 25 litres, if you fill them to the brim then there is more than 25 litres.  So I probably would use 20 litres but could do it with 15 if needed.
Excellent. Will definitely get one.

I personally couldn't - but i tend to be super thorough (that or i get clients with really dirty windows - i have one next to a motorway). I don't have the flow that high either. I suppose if i moved faster and didn't worry about being so thorough i probably could save a lot more water but it feels kinda wrong to splash n dash.

If you're going to get one, make sure it's Gardiners and that you get it now before summer gets here - they sell out in spring / summer every year and then it's a long wait!

I personally couldn't - but i tend to be super thorough (that or i get clients with really dirty windows - i have one next to a motorway). I don't have the flow that high either. I suppose if i moved faster and didn't worry about being so thorough i probably could save a lot more water but it feels kinda wrong to splash n dash.
Yes I know what you mean

I would be aiming to do two properties like that with one Gardiner back pack full.

I have been mulling that over actually. I found myself thinking that if i find a good connector with 4 contacts i could switch the controller between the van and BP and use it on the pair of them. Bit of velcro and job's a good'un.
These are 4 pin waterproof connectors  you get 10 pairs so more than enough at only £9. The only issue is they are only rated at 6 amps, on a backpack pump that's probably fine but I think the surflow pumps are 8amps which might be a bit too much although they would be in decent airflow and only used intermittently. I will keep looking.....

I might be inclined to use these XT60 connectors as they are rated at 30Amps. You do need to solder them on though. They are good secure connections and will more than carry the current and voltage you need. They do need a bit of a pull to disconnect and only ever pull by the yellow parts and not the cables!! They are also only 2 pin each so you would need 2 per end. That's not too much of a problem though just use a female for 12v input side and male on the pump. That way if you are ever pushed you can just connect the 2 ends and the pump would run full speed!!! 

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I could do around 3 lol.

You must move like grease lightening - either that or you splash n dash lol.

I'm gonna have to start watching more windys on youtube to try and work out the right speed of working lol
Where I live a 2 up 2 down is around £6.

3 on 1 backpack say 25L =£18 per pack. So 16 x 25L (400L) for a £300 day seems excessive to me not splash n dash. 

I do £250 with 150L - 175L

??

You must move like grease lightening - either that or you splash n dash lol.

I'm gonna have to start watching more windys on youtube to try and work out the right speed of working lol
Yeah but people who make videos on youtube / facebook etc they alwyas so it slower  for show etc,,, when they are not getting recorded they will speed up... hope that makes sense mate lol

Where I live a 2 up 2 down is around £6.

3 on 1 backpack say 25L =£18 per pack. So 16 x 25L (400L) for a £300 day seems excessive to me not splash n dash. 

I do £250 with 150L - 175L

??
U could clean the Technique stadium with a full backpack ? 

I'd prefer to have a controller for each but they're pretty expensive so i think dual purposing the one unit might be my best option. @Ian Sheppardwould the controller need recalibrating each time i swapped it over? Also would it survive rain?

Having tried the van mount myself, I'm with you on that. The only downside is lifting it back into the van but if it's empty it's no big issue.
Hi Tango. It is possible you would need to recalibrate when switching between the BP and Van system. The BP pump will be smaller and draw less current than the Pump in the Van as such the Cal used on the Van system might be to high to use with the BP pump. It might mean that the controller is much slower to DE the BP pump.

That said its also likely that the BP pump will be run at a higher flow rate compared to the van pump ( being smaller it needs to run a bit harder to move water) so it may be that because of that the difference between the pump current draw is not very much in which case Cal value would be similar on both BP and Van . It may just be thatthe controller is a little slower dead ending the BP

Hope that helps

Back