Van security/Tool storage etc

Discussion in 'Chit Chat & Introductions' started by adamangler, Aug 5, 2015.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. adamangler

adamangler Wakefield Window Warrior

So

Do you guys leave everything on van? or take it out into house or garage etc.
    Its ok if you only have windy gear but when you have pressure washer, carpet cleaner, gutter vacs, expensive poles, etc etc what do you do?

its a pain in the **** to take everything off, remember everything when putting back on etc.
    do you leave the lot on the van? i dont suppose its any more secure in house or shed or whatever as if they want it theyll have it.

Im considering leaving the lot on the van and chaining the **** out of it all but if someone drives off with my van im fecked lol

Advertisement
  2. Jimroot

Jimroot Guru

Not sure people know the value of these things in general? Like the gutter vac poles, you'd have to look it up to see the value I expect as I didn't know last year what this gear costs.

My window stuff trad and WFP/trolley lives in the van as I use it weekly, and the vans normally in view of my house on a well lit street. Everything else lives in house and garden if it's used less than once a week. Only the slx would be expensive to replace so maybe I should keep it in the shed.

You've reminded me to put my lock back on my small ladder I now carry on the rack :)

Could clamp your van if it's a dodgy area, but I suspect the more visible security there is the more attention it might receive

3. MrBump

MrBump Guest

How about a steering wheel lock? Not completely visible unless they are looking inside, then that might put them off. Doesn't stop anyone prying the back doors open and taking stuff though, which I reckon most would do, less obvious than driving away in a stolen van, especially if signwritten and alot of vans have alarms/immobilisers Maybe add an alarm to the back doors. I think, well I hope, the newer the van the more secure it is, better locks etc, but anythings break-in-able with the right tools, sadly.

4. High-tower

High-tower Active Member

I make sure everything is properly insured, if somebody wants to take it they will. I lock the ladders on when I'm not working and leave nothing on show, if they want to risk breaking in for some stinking scrims they can crack on....lol...

5. TolishAPurd

The vans that usually get broken into for tools are usually that of kitchen fitters, chippys, sparkies etc, as the tools they carry are expensive and easy to sell on.

6. Jacob

Jacob Guest

dont really give it a thought, peolple outside the windowcleaning world dont know what our tools are worth anyway.

7. boarcity

boarcity Guest

a simple way to increase security is to attach a length of elastic cord to the door lock button inside each door. everytime you shut the door it will need the key to open it

tip keep a spare key hidden under rear bumper case you lock your keys inside by accident

8. Jake

Jake Grand Master

Yep, they wouldn't choose a windy van over any other trade, most people would just think of a windy as having a skanky bucket and a squeegee...

9. daveyboy

daveyboy Legend

I don't even remember to lock my rhino clamps half the time lol
    Sits on my drive and had no hassle so far

10. Ant

Ant Well-Known Member

I doubt anyone will bother breaking into this van :rofl:

image.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
Advertisement