Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Washer hard starting

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Martin C

Hi all, ok.. recently my B&S washer is getting hard to start, this is usually when it’s warmed up, when I shut down the engine its a pig to restart.
I have stripped & cleaned the carb, cleaned air filter & new spark plug fitted.
this doesn’t seemed to have cured the problem, does anyone know why it starts 2nd pull when cold but too many pulls when it’s hot? Thanks

Its a strange one but I would research on Utube for the answer. Anyway I want to inform everyone to Empty their PW Pump or when It Freezes you will need a new one or new bolts like what happened a few years ago to someone on this Forum. ???

Thanks for that, no.. I haven’t cleaned tank or fuel pipe, I’ll try that & check again, failing that I’ll check the coil, thank you

Have you cleaned out the fuel tank and pipes?
Double check the choke is off when it's warm, it could be that it's closing limiting the airflow.
The other thing it could be is a failing coil.
Also..while pulling the hell out of it I did get some pretty loud backfire from it, this was during the pulling & not with engine running, any ideas on that?

Also..while pulling the hell out of it I did get some pretty loud backfire from it, this was during the pulling & not with engine running, any ideas on that?
When you are pulling it over it will be pulling fuel in and that will find it's way to the exhaust. So when it does fire (even just for 1 cycle) the hot exhaust gas can ignite the fuel in the exhaust and cause a bang.
As @Pjj suggests a good service would probably worth it especially so it's fresh for the next season - don't leave petrol in it if you are not using it within a week, the E10 fuel sort of disintegrates and can clog stuff up. Also as @scottish cleaning service said drain down all water from the pump before putting it away for the winter.

When you are pulling it over it will be pulling fuel in and that will find it's way to the exhaust. So when it does fire (even just for 1 cycle) the hot exhaust gas can ignite the fuel in the exhaust and cause a bang.
As @Pjj suggests a good service would probably worth it especially so it's fresh for the next season - don't leave petrol in it if you are not using it within a week, the E10 fuel sort of disintegrates and can clog stuff up. Also as @scottish cleaning service said drain down all water from the pump before putting it away for the winter.
Is it ok to still use E10, I switched to E5 thinking it would help my situation?

Back