Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Water dried up..

WCF

Help Support WCF:

That's a cracking idea, customer doesn't need to know and won't know that you're not supposed to blade it, yeah so it might take longer but hey it'll work out a lot cheaper till you get on your feet.

Trouble with tap water is it would then contaminate the backpack... and also invalidate the warranty for it. Last thing i need is that going bang and further crucifying me!

Spotless are saying they're opening here soon... but they're refusing to give a date despite the fact i've signed up and apparently other windys in the area are wanting it here too.

Spotless are saying they're opening here soon... but they're refusing to give a date despite the fact i've signed up and apparently other windys in the area are wanting it here too.
I joined Spotless about 3 years ago as they were opening a site in Cambridge "soon". Still waiting so I wouldn't hold your breath waiting 

Trouble with tap water is it would then contaminate the backpack... and also invalidate the warranty for it. Last thing i need is that going bang and further crucifying me!

Tap water does not void the warranty on a backpack! 

Chemicals void the warranty. 

Tap water will also NOT contaminate the backpack. You just need to rinse out with pure before you go proper WFP. 

@Tango i'm going to be sounding harsh again but I can't really say this any other way.  Your choices are quite simple. 

1: Tell current supplier no, you want the same deal he lured you in on or you will go else where. 

2: Find a pile of 25 litre barrels (car washes, ebay, free from my garden) and pay 'man with van' on Facebook £25 to drive you to nearest place to fill them all up affordably. 

3: Sell a pile of old stuff you have laying about and get a cheap RO/DI to get started

4: Get a start up loan (Company like Transit) practically no interest to pay. 

5: Tell old employer that you are jacking it in and put yourself in a position where failure is not an option and get on with it.  

I am sorry but we are but mortal window cleaners we can't fix every hurdle you want to throw our way mate. Sooner or later you got to bite the bullet and make the choice. Starting on the glass is cheap.... not free but there is some expense.  You could always go roof rack and ladder until you have saved enough cash to get a pro system and more importantly have enough customers to warrant it. 

Tap water does not void the warranty on a backpack! 

Chemicals void the warranty. 

Thanks - must have got confused somehow (doesn't take much when i'm stressed).

@Tango i'm going to be sounding harsh again but I can't really say this any other way.  Your choices are quite simple. 

1: Tell current supplier no, you want the same deal he lured you in on or you will go else where. 

2: Find a pile of 25 litre barrels (car washes, ebay, free from my garden) and pay 'man with van' on Facebook £25 to drive you to nearest place to fill them all up affordably. 

3: Sell a pile of old stuff you have laying about and get a cheap RO/DI to get started

4: Get a start up loan (Company like Transit) practically no interest to pay. 

5: Tell old employer that you are jacking it in and put yourself in a position where failure is not an option and get on with it.  

I am sorry but we are but mortal window cleaners we can't fix every hurdle you want to throw our way mate. Sooner or later you got to bite the bullet and make the choice. Starting on the glass is cheap.... not free but there is some expense.  You could always go roof rack and ladder until you have saved enough cash to get a pro system and more importantly have enough customers to warrant it. 

1) was previously discussed with supplier - who did come up with another idea but has since back tracked on that - and i'd just been thinking he was a legend too!

2) Solid idea. I like that one a lot and could possibly make that work! But I have more news that might render that idea obsolete as brilliant as it is - see under the next quote

3) Definitely gonna get a cheapy to tide me over / backup

4) Need to look into that as a van would be awesome too.

5) Can't do that yet - too risky for me and risks tend to backfire with me. I'm one of those people who has to plan for the worst (screwed that up this time not having my own RO/DI unit eh!). I do like working there with my colleagues who are great but the weekend just gone was a rotten one. Another windy said to me recently that he could never go back to working for someone else now... "I've gone ferrall" he said lol. Having got the bug myself it's almost torturous going into work to make someone else better off... I can't wait to have a sustainable income from window cleaning.

I joined Spotless about 3 years ago as they were opening a site in Cambridge "soon". Still waiting so I wouldn't hold your breath waiting 

I got word today that their cargo container arrives here tomorrow! Further backing that up, I've also got a notification that my fob and welcome pack have been dispatched so it looks like they're definitely arriving. The voicemail did say that it might still be several weeks until it's plumbed in and operational but it's arriving here tomorrow! Well needed given the lack of alternative RO suppliers round here. I'll pay the site a visit tomorrow and get photos if i can

@Tango  I hope you don't mind me saying this but from my experience I think you could change one thing athiit would help you be more successful. That's your mindset. In business i have found especially in this game there are the ones that just "do" they have an idea even if it turns out to be a bad one later and just run with it. If there are obstacles they find a way round it there is always a way for example in your case @Green Pro Clean Ltd gave you an idea  like sell stuff to make cash etc or someone said using tap water in backpack. These are people who see an issue and find a way to deal with it. 

At the moment you seem to be of the mindset where you put the task/challenge/ job down then your next word is always "BUT"  and then a reason you cant do it. I talk to so many window cleaners that say I'm going to start knocking doors every day but I have to wait for my new shiny leaflets, no you don't just knock doors with a pad and paper or I'm going to start doing gutters when my wife's nans back from holiday to give me 20 quid to buy gutter tools lol ok that ones made up but if your gonna run your own business you need to get rid of all all the reasons why you cant do things or your waiting till next week and especially the comment about not taking a risk cos things often go wrong for you! Just do it and when there are stumbling blocks find a way round em!!!!

@Tango  I hope you don't mind me saying this but from my experience I think you could change one thing athiit would help you be more successful. That's your mindset. In business i have found especially in this game there are the ones that just "do" they have an idea even if it turns out to be a bad one later and just run with it. If there are obstacles they find a way round it there is always a way for example in your case @Green Pro Clean Ltd gave you an idea  like sell stuff to make cash etc or someone said using tap water in backpack. These are people who see an issue and find a way to deal with it. 

At the moment you seem to be of the mindset where you put the task/challenge/ job down then your next word is always "BUT"  and then a reason you cant do it. I talk to so many window cleaners that say I'm going to start knocking doors every day but I have to wait for my new shiny leaflets, no you don't just knock doors with a pad and paper or I'm going to start doing gutters when my wife's nans back from holiday to give me 20 quid to buy gutter tools lol ok that ones made up but if your gonna run your own business you need to get rid of all all the reasons why you cant do things or your waiting till next week and especially the comment about not taking a risk cos things often go wrong for you! Just do it and when there are stumbling blocks find a way round em!!!!

This is very true and is relevant to all types of business.  I often think of those war zone countries where in the middle of being bombed they still set up a market stall the next day and carry on with business, even though there might be a suicide bomber bomb the actual market.  i think if they can do that then just about anything is possible if you put your mind to it.

Another thing to note that is closer to home is how people look at brexit.  Those with a negative mindset usually say things are going to go pear shaped and their business is really going to suffer, house prices crash etc, those with an optimistic mind say that although there might be bumps in the road, there will be new opportunities.  Nobody likes to be classed as having the negative mindset but most people are, which is usually why they never set up a business.

Latest Posts

Back