Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Water marks left again!! ???

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Exactly, will use the wfp for commercial, pvc, solar panels, garage doors and pvc door cleans. Not going to use it on domestic cleans anymore unless they want it. All my customers want trad so why fight against the current and picked up 2 new customers today. I see it like the old hand car washes that got phased out decades ago for the automatic roller car washes. Someone up here continued with the hand carwash and he was busy 7 days a week. Now every carwash is a hand job. Up here everyone is changing to wfp so i want to be different and continue trading. I have never heard a domestic customer refuse trad and demand wfp. I believe i am onto a winner but we will wait and see and i will update in a few months. All my customers got a free clean this month because i told them i was reverting back and again all were happy. The way i see it, when washing dishes one uses hot water and dish soap then scrubs and rinses. Wfp misses out the soap which i see is the downside to wfp and it leaves windows and sills wet. Will report back in the fullness of time.
The one problem with your argument in my opinion is that PVC cleans, garage doors etc are add on’s.

In other words, these jobs don’t require doing monthly. So all your expensive equipment won’t be getting used as much as it should.

To me, this looks like a case of the tail wagging the dog. Customers want clean windows, and 90% of the time won’t care what method is used as long as the results are correct.

To have all the top equipment in the van but spending days using a ladder so earning less seems a waste to me.

Anyway, up to you. Good luck 

Im not gonna knock your work as you seem like a craftsman who does a proper job. Round here though, though most are wfp, theres a few who do trad and sometimes ive seen their work and it looks like all smeary in the sun. Theres no way you'd get that trouble wfp. i do some jobs trad unfortunately, as certain old properties need it, but I cant see that modern homes with pvc windows would ever be better trad over wfp. Still, see how you get on mate.

My problem is that i'm a perfectionist so i don't think i will be rich trading windows. I would be happy with 10 customers a day so 200 customers would suit me fine. There is about 3,000 new houses getting built around me in the next 3yrs and all luxury homes with high prices. I still do other things but i am phasing them out because relying on other folk is a nightmare. Ordered a skip 10 days ago to arrive this morning and it never appeared. Eventually got through on phone to ask where it was and the guy didn't know it was ordered so i cancelled it. So lost half a day and went out and cleaned some windows, this is what i like about window cleaning, no need to rely on anyone else. 

My problem is that i'm a perfectionist so i don't think i will be rich trading windows. I would be happy with 10 customers a day so 200 customers would suit me fine. There is about 3,000 new houses getting built around me in the next 3yrs and all luxury homes with high prices. I still do other things but i am phasing them out because relying on other folk is a nightmare. Ordered a skip 10 days ago to arrive this morning and it never appeared. Eventually got through on phone to ask where it was and the guy didn't know it was ordered so i cancelled it. So lost half a day and went out and cleaned some windows, this is what i like about window cleaning, no need to rely on anyone else. 
You admitted you rushed around doing the first wash with your new very expensive toy. Your problem has been caused by doing a slap dash job. There's people on here that have cobbled together Heath Robinson systems for a few hundred quid and done a far better job. You're using the customers feedback, which unsurprisingly is very poor, to justify going back to trad. 

As i said, i will let you know how i get on in the fullness of time. I'm off to do a first clean now but i seem to be getting busier all the time now and i have no fear raising my prices after all my complaints. Realise how much my customers want me to stay with them.

You admitted you rushed around doing the first wash with your new very expensive toy. Your problem has been caused by doing a slap dash job. There's people on here that have cobbled together Heath Robinson systems for a few hundred quid and done a far better job. You're using the customers feedback, which unsurprisingly is very poor, to justify going back to trad. 

This - as i previously stated.

I do wish you the best of luck scotsman however you have done WFP no favours with your splash n dash attitude. All you've done is cause a lot of issues for many including yourself. Now you're stuck with a ladder that you have to carry round and a lot of heights in order to trad it.

If i was in your position, i'd carry on tradding the clients that you screwed up with but continue WFP for new clients making sure that you've got a nice clean set of bristles obviously.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am starting out in the window cleaning business, so am learning both the trad method and WFP, trad wise im getting good cleans, WFP im struggling, at the beginning of the week trad cleaned my whole house multiple times, 10 windows, all good, the following days I WFP the whole house multiple times, from a distance it looks great, but with each WFP clean on a few panes of glass there is spots left after it has dried, not always in the same place or window, the water is 100% pure, tds reading 0, each clean I scrubbed well and rinsed well, pressure reading 35 to 40, this bothers me as I cant see the spotting until after it has dried, which once a customers clean is done, I am long gone before it has dried, but the spots aren't acceptable, any tips as I want as many WFP jobs as possible but am not confident with the clean after it has dried, thanks in advance.

I am starting out in the window cleaning business, so am learning both the trad method and WFP, trad wise im getting good cleans, WFP im struggling, at the beginning of the week trad cleaned my whole house multiple times, 10 windows, all good, the following days I WFP the whole house multiple times, from a distance it looks great, but with each WFP clean on a few panes of glass there is spots left after it has dried, not always in the same place or window, the water is 100% pure, tds reading 0, each clean I scrubbed well and rinsed well, pressure reading 35 to 40, this bothers me as I cant see the spotting until after it has dried, which once a customers clean is done, I am long gone before it has dried, but the spots aren't acceptable, any tips as I want as many WFP jobs as possible but am not confident with the clean after it has dried, thanks in advance.
Topic merged, reading this may well help 

It is probably soap leaching from the seals. Give them a more rigorous scrub and a slightly longer rinse.

Are they under vents or below a double opening window, if they are then this is more awkward

I've got my wfp all sorted now. Its just practice and not using degreaser on the first cleans. Having many brushes has helped too. Don't do many trad now bar my ocd customers and the ones I can't get to with the van. Beginning to get busy now even with the bad weather which has slowed things down a bit.

Hi Luke. What is your flo rate? I have mine set at 40 if its too low then that might be the trouble. A lot of the Lads on here actually have theirs set a lot higher then mine. I think I`m going to experiment with 50 or 60 soon. Just a thought anyway. Plus sometimes you can get a little carried away with perfection. I`m guilty of this. The odd spot here and there isn`t really a problem. Good luck!

Hi Luke. What is your flo rate? I have mine set at 40 if its too low then that might be the trouble. A lot of the Lads on here actually have theirs set a lot higher then mine. I think I`m going to experiment with 50 or 60 soon. Just a thought anyway. Plus sometimes you can get a little carried away with perfection. I`m guilty of this. The odd spot here and there isn`t really a problem. Good luck!
Rinsing with a good flow rate is the answer, I'm at 60 now which is around 1.8lpm. We don't have water meters so not shy with the rinsing. Going to do a bit of the care home with my wfp again, will see how it goes.

Latest Posts

Back