Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Wfp first clean where am I going wrong ?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

heres a video @paul alan uploaded recently its not a technique video but its very informative regarding where you might go wrong - try and take note of the order in which paul cleans ... top to bottom, rinse from the top down and move on also note the speed he works at which he also mentions he now works at a slower pace but more efficiantly, @paul alan i hope you dont mind me using this example but its a very good one to use IMO. .....

i didnt upload the video ? 

Last edited by a moderator:
Too much!! 

Too much effort. Too much time. Too much water. Too much scrubbing pressure. Too much unfocused hurry. Too much water going where it didn't aught to go (on the wall above the frame). Too many short, inefficient strokes.

You're making the classic mistake of thinking that hard effort equals quality work, it doesn't, quite the opposite. 

Try this. Visualise and do a mental rehearsal of the precise method I'm about to describe, before you start. Read it and work through it slowly, step by step until you have every detail fine tuned. 

Hold the pole lightly (avoid a death grip, it's not needed and it will make you feel tense). 

Put the brush in the top left corner of the frame. Turn the water on and quickly swipe right across the whole top frame and back twice to free up and start flushing the dirt on the whole, full width wìndow. Now, go quickly from top left down the left side to the bottom of the frame then move the brush about six inches to the right and go up the glass to the top. Move the brush six inches to the right then take it down to the bottom and again six inches to the right and up (long square strokes). Do this until you have crossed the first window section in its entirety including the right side frame. Now repeat the strokes from right to left. On first washes do this twice. Now go to the top left corner of the glass. Go across and back the top of the pane twice quickly to build a head of water and quickly, with descending side to side strokes, bring a continuous curtain of water down to the bottom of the lower frame. Now move to the middle section and repeat and then the right section to finish. If there are sills I give them a couple of swipes before I do the window to loosen the dirt and start the flush and I finish on the sills with a couple of swipes after I've done the window. 

By all means do a dry run practice in your home with someone reading these instructions step by step till you get it right automatically. You can use a soft broom not quite touching the window, till you fully understand and program it in. Don't forget boxers do shadow boxing to get it right and automatic. You cannot beat doing visualisation, mental rehearsal and practice. I use it all the time in kayak coaching and training. The technique will come and you won't know yourself. 

Ps that wìndow 20 to 30 seconds. ??

As has been mentioned above fella I think the precision is where you are going wrong. The actual method you are going for isn’t all that bad, but I would say it’s the rinsing you need to work on. There’s nothing wrong with being a bit rougher so to speak with the scrub/agitate, but when you are rinsing the action needs to be smoother and more controlled. For instance you were getting water on the wall above for a start, but also you were holding the brush quite a fair bit away from the window when rinsing and this can cause water to splash above the rinse line and dry with spots. I’ll post a video below which I’ve just done of me cleaning one of my windows. Hopefully no one will call me out on my technique ? and I’m not saying mine is perfect or the right way but it seems to work for me in 4 years of doing it. Every guy will have their own way and that’s how it should be. But hopefully it will help you with your rinse. 

Couldn’t upload the video on here so had to stick it on Youtube. Please note I did just literally do this in 5 mins this aft lol I’m not a YouTuber providing how too videos ? hope it helps.

Noticed you didn’t really get into the bottom of the window between the glass and the seal, would I be right in saying that you don’t really have to worry about this too much then ? 

Noticed you didn’t really get into the bottom of the window between the glass and the seal, would I be right in saying that you don’t really have to worry about this too much then ? 

Do you mean the bottom section of frame between the glass and sill? I mean yeah obviously that needs doing too, the video may not show it too well as my bristles are creamy white but I get most of the bottom frame when doing the glass and the rest when doing the sill. I was trying to demonstrate more though the technique of firstly doing the top of the frame and rinsing it well, also as has been mentioned on here start at the top and work down, and lastly the rinse needs to be a smooth action, create a curtain of water and chase it down the window and you only need the brush an inch or two away from the window. The bottom frame obviously won’t affect spotting but good practice to do it anyway. Apologies if that didn’t come out too well in the vid.

Do you mean the bottom section of frame between the glass and sill? I mean yeah obviously that needs doing too, the video may not show it too well as my bristles are creamy white but I get most of the bottom frame when doing the glass and the rest when doing the sill. I was trying to demonstrate more though the technique of firstly doing the top of the frame and rinsing it well, also as has been mentioned on here start at the top and work down, and lastly the rinse needs to be a smooth action, create a curtain of water and chase it down the window and you only need the brush an inch or two away from the window. The bottom frame obviously won’t affect spotting but good practice to do it anyway. Apologies if that didn’t come out too well in the vid.
Great vid mate after following your technique and taking all the other tips on board I think I’ve finally cracked my downstairs windows (not literally) just the upstairs to master now and hopefully can get back on the pole by Monday. Cheers for all your help much appreciated !

I thought it was good of you to go to the effort of putting up a video to help.

You've shown a much better way to clean windows than the OP, if he we're to ignore the bottom frame and focus on the rest then he would learn a great deal.

I thought it was good of you to go to the effort of putting up a video to help.

You've shown a much better way to clean windows than the OP, if he we're to ignore the bottom frame and focus on the rest then he would learn a great deal.

Cheers fella. I always enjoy your videos, which I only noticed afterwards someone had posted above. I, like you, use a rinse bar now which makes the process even easier once you’ve cracked that technique.

Great vid mate after following your technique and taking all the other tips on board I think I’ve finally cracked my downstairs windows (not literally) just the upstairs to master now and hopefully can get back on the pole by Monday. Cheers for all your help much appreciated !

Great news. Glad to be of help. I know how frustrating it can be at the beginning. But keep up with the practice, and I admire you asking for help on here to get it right. 

Higher flow level will rinse off better you think?I upgraded to 2 pole setup few weeks ago and I see spots with my new fella that started with me I have showed him how to do it and some are ok others awful maybe if I raise his flow from 45 to 65 you think that will help with a better finish,?
It's got to help. More water will clear the dirt better. 

As long as you carry enough to be able to

Interesting I thought the higher the flow the more chance of water Mark's ie splash and dash?

This would be true if it weren't controlled carefully, as in the way you apply it to the glass. I've seen some window cleaners locally rinsing holding the brush anywhere from 30 - 60cm off the glass with pencil jets. Rinsing like this, much of the water bounces back off the glass therefore not rinsing at all. You want as much of the water as possible flowing down the glass to flush the dirt off. 

That’s a big pole for bottoms mate. Maybe slow it down a little. Slow it down start with the frames then move onto the glass start top left corner go along the top and work your way down. Then rinse rinse and rinse. You don’t look like your doing to bad. What seems to be the problem. Water marks? 

@RyeCleanLiam your video is well done a good slowed down methodical first clean method, the one single thing I have noticed is quite a few lads saying there was nothing wrong with @harry123 technique, wrong!! his rinsing on hydrophobic glass was totally wrong on all and any windows you need to rinse methodically from the very top left to right all the way down more as a newbie, you can't clean lightening fast on every window every time more so with a flawed technique. 

Enviromental factors house location etc will also play a part in this on various jobs so you need to slow down and evaluate every job as you go, a mate of mine lives in a big house with 30ft plus field maple trees along one side on his property, when the weather has been good his windows are a normal clean and takes around 1 hour to complete after a bad spell of wind and rain and around this time of year and other times of the year one side of his house is shocking windows are absolutely filthy and window sills covered in debris this adds on around another 20 minutes easily. 

@harry123Some good advice given, one thing I think helps is a swivel no matter position your standing in you can always get into the corners. 

21 hours ago, RyeCleanLiam said:

Couldn’t upload the video on here so had to stick it on Youtube. Please note I did just literally do this in 5 mins this aft lol I’m not a YouTuber providing how too videos ? hope it helps.

Is that ultimate DuPont brush if so how do you find it with the rinsebars?

You can put the rinse bar on any brush.

https://gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/all-products/whats-new/low-pressure-micro-jet-rinse-bar-35cm.html

Just buy the right size for your brush

I've never tried the swivel, I'd expect to have a lack of control rinsing. Is that not the case?
Yes I have four gardiner rinse bars some brushes work better than others

2 x 25cm low pressure 

1 x 35cm prototype 

1x 35 pre production low pressure 

I have being using rinse bars for some time now and love them.

i have used the rinsebar on the ultimate DuPont and the extreme prototype DuPont hybrid brushes and I personally don’t think the DuPont brushes are best suited even though both brushes without rinsebar are excellent.

the ultimate 26cm medium mix is best suited for the rinsebar I have personally found. 

Wasnt sure if the brush in the in the video was the DuPont hybrid or the medium mix? 

Even though I have  a few medium mix brushes Thatsthe one brush I have never tested with the rinsebar. 

I have been using the 35cm rinsebars for a long time now and mix with the medium hybrid 35cm is a great combination as shown by Paul in his rinsebar videos.

Just to add I couldn’t /wouldn’t clean glass without a swivel now with or winthout swivel.

Yes I have four gardiner rinse bars some brushes work better than others

2 x 25cm low pressure 

1 x 35cm prototype 

1x 35 pre production low pressure 

I have being using rinse bars for some time now and love them.

i have used the rinsebar on the ultimate DuPont and the extreme prototype DuPont hybrid brushes and I personally don’t think the DuPont brushes are best suited even though both brushes without rinsebar are excellent.

the ultimate 26cm medium mix is best suited for the rinsebar I have personally found. 

Wasnt sure if the brush in the in the video was the DuPont hybrid or the medium mix? 

Even though I have  a few medium mix brushes Thatsthe one brush I have never tested with the rinsebar. 

I have been using the 35cm rinsebars for a long time now and mix with the medium hybrid 35cm is a great combination as shown by Paul in his rinsebar videos.

Just to add I couldn’t /wouldn’t clean glass without a swivel now with or winthout swivel.

Hi Den. The brush in the video is the DuPont Hybrid I believe, Black inner bristles. Is it because of the splay you feel they don’t work as well? I have the rinse bar positioned a couple of cm’s above the brush stock and I use the low pressure rinse bar. The rinse gets over the splay then, just. I just love the DuPont ultimate brushes lol I also use a swivel and wouldn’t work without one.

Yes the DuPont hybrid brushes are excellent it’s just I found that splay was a little to much with the rinsebar even positioned high on the stock. 

I highly recommend the extreme  35cm medium hybrid with 35cm rinse-bar both the high and low pressure, I personally prefer the low pressure as I feel 2 lpm works great for my circumstances as I only carry 325l water.

@paul alan prefers the high pressure bars but he carries 650l water and believe he use approx 3 lpm.

Yes the DuPont hybrid brushes are excellent it’s just I found that splay was a little to much with the rinsebar even positioned high on the stock. 

I highly recommend the extreme  35cm medium hybrid with 35cm rinse-bar both the high and low pressure, I personally prefer the low pressure as I feel 2 lpm works great for my circumstances as I only carry 325l water.

@paul alan prefers the high pressure bars but he carries 650l water and believe he use approx 3 lpm.

Nice one, I’ll give it a go I’m always willing to try new things. I’m the same I carry 400 litres so I prefer the low pressure rinse bar, I couldn’t get on with the 32 jets on the high pressure one ? I’ve used various rinse bars in the past, xline, Tucker and even a bissel carpet cleaner one. But the Gardiners ones are my favourite.

Noticed above you said you have a extreme DuPont prototype. How do you rate that? I think Gardiners are releasing something like that soon if I’m not mistaken.

Latest Posts

Back