Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Wfp poles to change or not

WCF

Help Support WCF:

If you think about the situation our poles do get a lot of wear, mine is used 5 days a week. You think how many times a day we higher/ lower the pole. I do have to tighten my clamps maybe once a day, I don’t want to over tighten either. When you carry the little widget tool it’s easy to just tighten them. I do think it’s a small price to pay for such good poles. I personally have never used another make. But as you can see Alex is straight on the ball. Who else would you get such good customer service from? It’s great to know too the quality hasn’t gone down.

I prefer the old jet system. Was thinking I might fill the hole with epoxy and drill a hole to fit the old jets. 
You shouldn't really have to think about the new jets, they should just work as they are - there is probably a simpler solution to this issue for you than epoxy and drills ?

Drop us an email with the issue and photos if possible and we can further advise - for some clients a switch to the Close-Coupled jet hose assembly has completely prevented the jet hose getting caught and damaging the jets - or it may be another solution is needed for your setup.

You shouldn't really have to think about the new jets, they should just work as they are - there is probably a simpler solution to this issue for you than epoxy and drills ?

Drop us an email with the issue and photos if possible and we can further advise - for some clients a switch to the Close-Coupled jet hose assembly has completely prevented the jet hose getting caught and damaging the jets - or it may be another solution is needed for your setup.
I have had 2 of the new jets fall apart on me so far. But it seems to be a case that the little teeth on the metal ring that dig in under compression when they are put together just haven't quite bitten in enough. A good compression of the jet has fixed both with no further issues. Might be worth checking the tolerance at the factory, reckon it needs another 2Nm on top of the minimum.

I have had 2 of the new jets fall apart on me so far. But it seems to be a case that the little teeth on the metal ring that dig in under compression when they are put together just haven't quite bitten in enough. A good compression of the jet has fixed both with no further issues. Might be worth checking the tolerance at the factory, reckon it needs another 2Nm on top of the minimum.
Hi Robt100

Glad this has worked for you - it is possible that the odd ones could go out not quite compressed in enough.

I am going to randomly test a selection to check the compression in cartridge insertion - see what I find ?

Hi Robt100

Glad this has worked for you - it is possible that the odd ones could go out not quite compressed in enough.

I am going to randomly test a selection to check the compression in cartridge insertion - see what I find ?
So far I think Ive had 8 100 degree fan jets and had this happen on 2 of them. So currently a 25% 'failure' rate. But as I said, with a good compression I've had no trouble since.

Thanks couldn't ask for a better review.

I will keep tightening up the clamps then ?
I have a hi-mod 22 phantom and have had the same issue with the cap falling off after a while and used tape inside it as a fix, eventually I bought a new one and currently no issues.

I haven’t had to worry about joint indicator tape as it stops at the point you shouldn’t over extend and everything bellow that is coloured red. I’m not sure if this is something specific to the hi-mod though. 

The look and feel of the pole seems fine to me and I weighed it once I bought it and it weighs the same as they advertised it at. 

I use gardiner brushes and a gardiner gooseneck I just took the half section of the gardiner gooseneck and attached that to the Phanton gooseneck base. You have to tighten is backwards to how you would on a gardiner but I’ve had no issues so far. 

I have had to replace a pole clamp when something went wrong with the screw mechanism. It cost about a tenner and is a doddle to replace due to how they’re made. Also when you’re breaking the pole down for a clean, you can take the clamps off which is a great idea and enables you to spray and build up the layers beneath the clamps. 

I think it’s a really good pole. It’s the first hi-mod I’ve used so I can’t compare it to anything but I’d recommend it. If I were to get another now I’d be tempted with the ova-8 hi-mod based on squeaky clean daves review. The changing of the shape meaning it stops you gripping the pole too hard is the real selling point to me. Although I know that was a happy coincidence and they were using the shape meaning the pole clamps can’t spin as the selling point. 

May I add that Alex has swiftly sorted my issues with the slx30 as I had stated above you can't fault his customer support.

And I admire the fact he personally comes on to protect his business 

Thanks

I very rarely get sections spinning. We use SLX 22 daily, SLX 30 occasionally and I now mainly use an Extreme 22. I find that it's important to develop a feel for how tight to set the clamps. Don't overtighten them but also don't wait for the sections to start regularly or easily spinning before adjusting.

I go by feel. I'm used to how much pressure it takes for the clamps to hold firmly. That's the setting I use, no tighter. If the clamps start to get easier to close I check to see if the section will spin easily by hand pressure. If it will then I'll tighten slightly. Usually half a turn on the screw will sort it, (equipment sympathy). I also don't close the top section fully when stowing the poles in their tubes. This means that the top (most used) section is not always clamped at exactly the same point, so it helps to spread the wear. It also means that the pole hose is not always bent at exactly the same position. We keep the Hoseless connected the whole time unless we're changing poles. This cuts down on the wear of the rectus fittings and also makes it super quick to deploy and re-stow the poles.

Jets : I now use the close coupling set up on the new fan jets. They very rarely get snagged now. I use @Skxawng
 hose stops with the Univalve. They're great.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought the phantom poles in the Black Friday sale. They were 24% off. I wouldn't buy them over the Gardiner poles at full price in comparison;

• The plastic has a cheaper look and feel
  • The poles are not as rigid
  • They feel heavier and more cumbersome to use
  • The end cap shape is good but they continually fall off ( A simple fix with a layer of tape around the base under the cap)
  • They don't have joint indicator tape. You need to be looking at the pole when extending, not the window and any potential hazards like power lines.
  • If you run a tube less set up outside of the pole instead of inside the end cap will catch on rectus fittings (The fix for this is to change to push fit like Den has recommended on another post)

All in all they're not bad poles but they're your Ford of the pole industry, Gardiners are the BMW. The clamps are a nifty idea but realistically how often do you actually change your clamps.

In summary, if they're 24% off they're well worthwhile. if they're full price, this is more than Gardiners charge and you would be crazy to buy them.
Your list has already put me off ever buying one ??? gardeners are the best in my books we have tried most poles out there and always come back to them they take a lot of beating and customer service is by far the best .

I very rarely get sections spinning. We use SLX 22 daily, SLX 30 occasionally and I now mainly use an Extreme 22. I find that it's important to develop a feel for how tight to set the clamps. Don't overtighten them but also don't wait for the sections to start regularly or easily spinning before adjusting.
We've got an 8yr old CLX27 that spins less then the new one. Our clamps are tightened to a point where the pole doesn't twist but 2 or 3 clamps constantly work loose so you're tightening them up a few times a day. Never had this problem before and don't treat the poles, or clamps any different.  

We've got an 8yr old CLX27 that spins less then the new one. Our clamps are tightened to a point where the pole doesn't twist but 2 or 3 clamps constantly work loose so you're tightening them up a few times a day. Never had this problem before and don't treat the poles, or clamps any different.  
Hi Part Timer

If the issue is clamps working loose within a working day then it could be that the locking nuts are not holding the lever adjustment correctly in place. Have you tried replacing the locking nuts? This is usually a quick fix for this if it happens.

Hi Part Timer

If the issue is clamps working loose within a working day then it could be that the locking nuts are not holding the lever adjustment correctly in place. Have you tried replacing the locking nuts? This is usually quick fix for this if it happens.
As I said, they did this from day one and the poles are worn now. I'm not the type to repair them, where they're worn. I just don't understand how we can have had 5 poles before, with no trouble and then have 2 poles, one after the other, having the same problems as it's not just one clamp it's numerous.

Alex please change them jets your brushes are amazing but them jets ? also the clamp glue £?( constructive criticism) from a wc who will tell you how it is not a people pleaser ? change them clamps to bolt on or good glue 

Alex please change them jets your brushes are amazing but them jets ? also the clamp glue £?( constructive criticism) from a wc who will tell you how it is not a people pleaser ? change them clamps to bolt on or good glue 
The new jets are great! So easy to quickly take them apart if you get a blockage and sort it. Also if you break one it's a minute job to pop the old one out and a new one in. No need for a hammer or anything! 

Back