Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

What Ionic Pole and Clamps?

I think it's time for a new pole. I once bought Ionics pole was awful clamps lasted few months. Get yourself a Gardiner & you will never looked back...?

I think it's time for a new pole. I once bought Ionics pole was awful clamps lasted few months. Get yourself a Gardiner & you will never looked back...?
I really like this pole and hate wastage and putting things in a landfill that can still be used.

I know it's not the thing to say on here but I'm not a fan of Gardiner. I do have a carbon unger pole that is quite good.

Looks like an ionics ergo lite guessing it’s probably 15 years old I had ones like that years ago the clamp levers wear and the nuts need replacing , I doubt you can buy them any more , I did have a bag full of them somewhere will have a hunt round and see if I can find them 
Have you had a chance to look for the clamps mate ?

I really like this pole and hate wastage and putting things in a landfill that can still be used.

I know it's not the thing to say on here but I'm not a fan of Gardiner. I do have a carbon unger pole that is quite good.

Have you had a chance to look for the clamps mate ?
Will try my best to have a look tomorrow I don’t have the clamps but do have the nuts and a few levers if I can find them ????

Engine lacquer I found to chip and look a mess it could have been my prep and drying times back then though, I use Plasti-Kote Clear Matt Acrylic but the dry/curing stage is very important I always do sections on a nice sunny day or failing that they have to go on a radiator in the house if I can't scratch it back off with my fingernail then I know it's baked then I'll apply the second coat and just leave the pole sections separated in the house or garage overnight depending on the time of year. 

A side note to anyone doing this and using the Acrylic spray is the nozzle will clog up and the can become useless if you don't clean it after use so make sure you have something to do so. 
Turning the can upside down and spraying for a few seconds after use is the way to keep nozzles clear. 

They won’t fit the older ionics clamps not sure about the lates poles though 
What is it that won't fit?

I know it's the wrong style of clamp but the way the clamp works should still tighten the clamp.

Or do you mean the bolt length?

What is it that won't fit?

I know it's the wrong style of clamp but the way the clamp works should still tighten the clamp.

Or do you mean the bolt length?
The older Ionic’s clamps arnt compatible with the Gardiner clamp levels as the clamp has a raised ratchet system built in not sure about the lates clamps 

The older Ionic’s clamps arnt compatible with the Gardiner clamp levels as the clamp has a raised ratchet system built in not sure about the lates clamps 
I see what you mean. But if you remove the turn style levers from the Ionics clamps and swap them for the ratchet style Gardiner levers don't you think it would work as by removing the the levers you would still just be left with two holes that need to be closed together?

Unless the clamping system on the Gardiner poles don't rely on just the levers for the clamping action?

I see what you mean. But if you remove the turn style levers from the Ionics clamps and swap them for the ratchet style Gardiner levers don't you think it would work as by removing the the levers you would still just be left with two holes that need to be closed together?

Unless the clamping system on the Gardiner poles don't rely on just the levers for the clamping action?
On the older ionics pole clamps the bit that’s glued to the pole has a ratchet bit built into it so you could not use a Gardiners lever and bolt , I don’t know what the lates ones are like the Gardiners one may fit that .

On 20/02/2021 at 19:32, spruce said:

Yes, but very carefully. You also want to not cut into the pole its self. Removing the next inner section should make it easier. A Driemel tool would be better than an angle grinder. Just take your time. You don't need to take much off.

Now, the other suggestion is getting a can of clear engine lacquer, (not paint lacquer) preparing the pole section and then spraying the pole with a couple of thin coats.

In the video he shows clear acrylic lacquer but you say it should be engine lacquer (that I'm having trouble finding).

In the video he shows clear acrylic lacquer but you say it should be engine lacquer (that I'm having trouble finding).
I tried paint lacquer from Halfords and it was a disaster.

On Ebay I did a search for "clear engine lacquer". There are numerous suggestions.

I did the same on Amazon with numerous results as well.

I haven't found Simoniz advertising anything tbh. My choice would be to use what someone else says works for them. I would go with @Iron Giant's suggestion if I wanted to order some today.

My next choice would be XHT high temperature lacquer. I would try it on one section and test the results before I did the whole pole.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried paint lacquer from Halfords and it was a disaster.

On Ebay I did a search for "clear engine lacquer". There are numerous suggestions.

I did the same on Amazon with numerous results as well.

I haven't found Simoniz advertising anything tbh. My choice would be to use what someone else says works for them. I would go with @Iron Giant's suggestion if I wanted to order some today.

My next choice would be XHT high temperature lacquer. I would try it on one section and test the results before I did the whole pole.
I tried engine lacquer's years ago and they all seemed to flake of or chip and for it lift and flake off, this has never happened with the Plastikote spray,

I do make sure I clean each section down with alcohol wipes and ensure it's fully cured/baked before use a nice sunny day can do the trick otherwise they will go on a radiator in the house for a while then I'll reassemble the pole the following morning. 

On the older ionics pole clamps the bit that’s glued to the pole has a ratchet bit built into it so you could not use a Gardiners lever and bolt , I don’t know what the lates ones are like the Gardiners one may fit that .
I was going to comment on this but never got around to it.

@InkedYou need to measure the diameter of all the sections of the pole you have with a vernier and then compare them with the diameter size of the poles Gardiner sells. There is a chart on the pole section of Gardiners site giving those ODs. If they are the same size then you will be able to replace the whole clamp with a Gardiner's clamp.

If they aren't compatible then look into the clamps sold by Window Cleaning Warehouse and see it the Facelift poles more closely match the pole you have.

Obviously for a clamp to work the two sections diameters need to match those of your pole.

Back