Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

What is your go to brush?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Yes I always pre wet the gutter and then spray the brush with virosol or if its really dirty or a bigger job put som in a bucket and dip the brush. After applying the virosol, leave for a few minutes scrub and then rinse.

I thought the same as you, how could a "blade" of bristles be any good? The reality is because the bristles splay there is a lot more contact than you think and the two long rows of bristles in the lower half of the brush also contact.

Kicking myself because I missed the opportunity to use it on a minging 1st clean recently, I hadn't yet figured out how good this might be.

I got this a few weeks ago with a new SL-X35, we normally use the Universal Sill for windows but that is too heavy for the 35 IMHO.

Last couple of days I have been suffering a lot of pain in my left wrist so yesterday I put it on my SL-X 18 and used it all day, the lack of weight is a revelation.

I am going to order a medium version of this brush but I'm hoping Alex is going to put Tapertec bristles into them instead of soft.

I've also got a pair of Supreme DuPonts on the way which I hope will suit our Georgian work.
Completely agree with you here. I have a stiff and medium extreme sill with 100 degree fans and they are immense. I was sceptical to purchase because of so few bristles but they are brilliant. I also agree I hope they make the medium version with tapertec bristles eventually. I also have an ultimate Dupont for wooden/Georgian windows but have thought about a supreme so let me know how you get on with that ?

Does anyone use a flocked brush as their everyday? I’ve never used one. I know people say they’re better for leaded but what about regular maintenance cleans?

Does anyone use a flocked brush as their everyday? I’ve never used one. I know people say they’re better for leaded but what about regular maintenance cleans?
They are ok but hold the dirt badly so you have to be careful when rinsing as the jets can put dirt from the brush onto the glass , I would say you don’t want to be rinsing on the glass with them either , but there scrubbing power is quite good .

Last edited by a moderator:
I've recently switched to using a ultimate flocked as my everyday brush, it's fantastic, the frames are coming up a lot whiter.  Nearly takes bird droppings off on first pass.  I use 3mm jets with it and this keeps the brush clear of debris.

Well the Supreme DuPont/Tapertecs arrived this morning, first impression is that they are incredibly soft and don't feel like they could pull the skin off a rice pudding, I hope I'm wrong. Got three big houses with lots of Georgian panes and rooflights tomorrow, that'l be a good test.

Well the Supreme DuPont/Tapertecs arrived this morning, first impression is that they are incredibly soft and don't feel like they could pull the skin off a rice pudding, I hope I'm wrong. Got three big houses with lots of Georgian panes and rooflights tomorrow, that'l be a good test.
We actually find them to be very good at removing the likes of snail trails and bird muck. Let us know how you find them.

We actually find them to be very good at removing the likes of snail trails and bird muck. Let us know how you find them.
I will give an honest appraisal, I can believe that they are good on snail trails because I have an older DuPont brush that is good on them.

I thought the Tapertec bristles would be stiffer, these feel like you could use them for tickling a mouses 

I may have to eat humble pie on this one, The Supreme DuPont has dealt with everything I threw at it today, even those pesky rooflights/atriums or whatever you want to call them seemed to go well. ?

Haven't had any baked on Seagull poo or honey fungus yet though, those are always a big challenge.

honey fungus is a mushroom.. part of the amonita family.. hope you haven't got them growing on your windows.

I forage for mushrooms while out and about so know what they are.

You're thinking of bee pollen stuck on the glass.

Technically correct but honey fungus is a name that has been used in our industry for a long time to describe pollen. Whatever you call it it's a bloney pest.

Ive had my supreme dupont and aflocked sill along with my new slx 18 a few weeks now. I was suprised some of you wanted the supeme for Georgian as i found the bristle splay bashed into all that wood (bit like driving over a cattle grid) and found my straight on super lite,that i was given much easier,and the flocked sill was good also, if not better.i Maybe i should have bought the universal flocked over the sill also as the side bristles protect the sills,its probably just as good on leaded.Some like this brush for gsf but  IS IT TO SOFT and the mono universal better?.I used the supreme on a gfs, a light brush ,but again soft,A combinatin of soft and hard may be the way.

I know it was a while back, but did you fix scraper pads to brush? did it work out good? 
Not yet as I use hot water so I soak the bird mess first and come back 5mins later and it comes off easy but I still want to do it when I have the time. In the winter I get quiet and catch up with things like that. 

Ive had my supreme dupont and aflocked sill along with my new slx 18 a few weeks now. I was suprised some of you wanted the supeme for Georgian as i found the bristle splay bashed into all that wood (bit like driving over a cattle grid) and found my straight on super lite,that i was given much easier,and the flocked sill was good also, if not better.i Maybe i should have bought the universal flocked over the sill also as the side bristles protect the sills,its probably just as good on leaded.Some like this brush for gsf but  IS IT TO SOFT and the mono universal better?.I used the supreme on a gfs, a light brush ,but again soft,A combinatin of soft and hard may be the way.
The universal are good brushes, I have the medium soft. The flocked should be good on leaded. The medium soft is to much for leaded it bounces.  It is quite heavy though in comparison to other brushes. I do like the new sill brush with the orange bit on, you can fit bumpers on each end, so far I really like it. It’s fine on leaded too. 

Tucker hybrid (Dupont outer bristles and boar hair inner bristles) for most work. Gardiner flocked for Georgian and Gardiner universal on the 35 for third floor or above. 

I bought the universal flocked! Ibought it because i was likeing the flocked sill on everything not just lead,I still do.The Universal is good with the end brushes,but it is heavyier and after using it for a while i thought maybe just be a bit more carefull with bushes that dont have sidebristles,so i use it on some jobs,but not as much as the flocked sill.I  have an ultimate medium soft,as recomended by Alex,which i used for about the third time yesterday on a minging first clean,the flocks are suposed to be good scrubbers,but didnt trust that for this job.the ultimate did a great job, firm shifted alll the dirt!Not shure the flocked sill would have coped.i,ll let it have a go next time though,just tto compair.

Latest Posts

Back