What would you do differently if you were starting afresh again?

Discussion in 'Water Fed Pole Cleaning' started by Gav, Jul 9, 2015.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Gav

Gav Grand Master
    Administrator

So my recent romancing over starting again on the glass got me thinking.

What would you do differently if you we're starting again from scratch, new business etc.

Thought it might be interesting for those who are now starting in the business. Maybe help them out and and help them skip some mistakes etc.

With all the things you've learned, mistakes you've made etc what would you do differently?

Not invite frank is a given ;)

Advertisement
  2. rafawindowcleaning

rafawindowcleaning Well-Known Member

Would buy a decent van straighaway bought a cheap combo van had to put LOTS of money in it to make it serviceable and in the end decided to sell as outgrown it fairly quickly anyway. So if going wfp buy as big and as new van and equipment as you can afford.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. cheapncheerful

well....er....I would like to increase my original quotes...bearing in mind...if you quote low...the custy loves to keep you to that price..

mind you now....me got the blue one in my mind so I always smurf new jobs..

got one today on the moby...are you a window cleaner...? er well I am up the feckin ladder and Ive just soaped up the window and its er very warm and well yes you could say...

how much for an extended semi..?

I mean what the feck...that could be...an extended semi or ...an extended semi ...I MEAN...it could mean anything...

er...I will get back to you on that....

text me your address and number..

and now look at the feckin mess on that window...

see what you mean boar..yeh...any none payers out there boar knows what to do...

so I WILL re soap that one...

the phone is obviously set to ring in the most awkward places...its never on the ground..

and then...cheapie is quite proud of his henry ford method of work ..weather permitting of course...

so he soaps up all four windows on a bay..

he gets mr squeegee to wipe em clean..

just the detailing to do then...

and yes sandra wants a conversation...

all I could think of...is DETAILING....its too late now.....

yeh ..i JUST did em again...:rofl:

but she does a good brew does sandra..

and hey you cant laugh at a fiver for a semi..

well okay maybe..:whistle:

4. Roy

Roy Active Member

I would practice my pricing more.. I really undercharged.. mainly because I was scared they would say no, take a while to learn the pricing even now sometimes you get it wrong.

Don't think you can do 50 houses a day.

Start with a cheap trolley water fed pole system or backpack until you know your happy with the window cleaning before investing in a van system. Also take the time to learn the water fed pole method works

5. Alien Human

Agree with cheap - I priced too low when I first started and have had to go through the process of increasing prices. I didn't lose any customers (that I know of!) but the whole palava of doing it is a proper ball ache. It's all in the head......
    'What if they say thanks but no thanks........and start shouting......and then I will have no customers......and it's winter........and we'll run out of food.......become homeless.......all because I raised their prices by two quid.......'

But in reality they just went

'Yeah no probs buddy - see ya next month :) '

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  6. Alien Human

Think there might be a theme developing here...........

7. Gav

Gav Grand Master
    Administrator

Ha yeah I think it's one of the biggest things. Everyone quotes low when they start.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. TolishAPurd

I canhonestly saythat theres hardly any regrets to how I did things for my windowclean business. I made most of my mistakes already with my handyman business so I felt like a pro after just a few months lol. I should have invested more time and money in advertising and worked a lot harder to build my round in the early days as it would enable me to take on an employee right now, but I've been caning the leaflet dropping this week with all the **** weather we've had. When I started with the windows I had no idea how good it was going to be, so I didnt give it the attention is deserves, but I'm getting focused with the employer mindset now, just need a bigger round to give the bloke plenty of work or its pointless.

9. Gav

Gav Grand Master
    Administrator

Nice one. Yeah I guess if you have had a similar type business before then you have similar sorts of skills and know how already.

For me I think I would have done the same re advertising etc. I could have pushed and tried a lot harder and maybe I may not have had to quit it at the time.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

10. Yep, same as. Quote on the higher end. Think of a number and add five quid.

Advertisement