Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Where Window Cleaners earn the most?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Dont you think though that newbies going in cheap on jobs is half the trouble forcing prices down ??
This is where we differ, for me £10 for a 3 bed semi isn't cheap and no one would have to justify it. Quoting £80 for a 2 hour commercial job, in your locality, isn't cheap either. These prices are based on monthly easy work. 

The problem we have in a lot of the North East is that the old trad guys have set the price and the newbies have to try and upsell their services. I've been called a rip off merchant by someone because I quoted a friend of theirs £10 for a terraced 3 bed when they were only paying £4. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Dont you think though that newbies going in cheap on jobs is half the trouble forcing prices down ??? I have friends in Newcastle that are struggling to compete with some charging £3:50 for a 3 bed semi , most  of these are Eastern European’s , it’s killing the job for all concerned and I doubt they are paying tax or insurance , I wonder if being licensed like Scotland would help ? But it would need enforcing and again I doubt that would happen 
I think this could slowly but surely become more of a problem. theres no deterrent to stop them going round and being cheap labour. I think the dole dont even check nowdays, so makes it easy for cheats. A minimum charge set up would be good, but not gonna happen. Like has been said, get to know your customer and be friends, do the best job and most of them should be unlikely to ditch you for some cheap crim. in fact, when ive been quoted stupid prices by customers ive always made it a point to tell them said cheapy was surely on benefit.Also i warn them that a lot of erm, the cheaper newcomers are light-fingered to say the least. 

12 to 15 pound an hour in retail stacking shelfs ! no chance,  there blagging it. even if there night shift only and been there 10 plus years getting 2 or 3 percent rise per year thay might be touching near 12 befor tax, no way 15 an hour. even a night shift managers would be lucky to get near that.  

Sorry if I have upset or offended you that certainly wasn’t my intention , but I have friends that work for Tesco’s shelf stacking that are on between £12-15  per hour depending what shifts they work , it sound s to me like where you work they take advantage of there staff , I would have thought Kent would pay much better wages than that . When you are established in window cleaning and have a good round  it’s very easy to earn decent money but it does take time and effort weeding out the time wasters , but you also need to set realistic targets £30 per hour is in my experience  the minimum you can afford to work for , taking all expenses into account, this might sound a lot but really it’s  very easy to do that if your pricing is ok on jobs , working with a car and back pack I think that’s what you are doing ?? It will be a lot harder as the time taken will be more but try and get a van mount when you can afford it this will make all the ditto speed and earning potential, I started off with a Renault Clio and a ladder and bucket so I know what it’s like to struggle, wfp is so much easier , just keep plugging away and you will get there , we are all different with what we want and need to earn , ime not boasting but what I have said about the earn per hour comes from 20 years doing the job and seeing many fail beacause they were not doing enough hourly rate . I was a sprayer panel beater earning around £5 per hour at the time , when I started window cleaning I was on £14 per hour and thought it was great but I quickly realised that going from being employed to self employed it was no ware near enough to cover all the expenses, this can only be understood when you have done it . I am sure where you live it can be done good luck and don’t let the problems you are facing now put you off . 

Last edited by a moderator:

I can assure they do get paid that my daughter worked for  the Tesco in our town and that’s what she was earning  8 years ago , the managers ire on a lot more than that to . 

she was earning 15 pound an hour for staking shelfs in day time...? how manys years did it take to rise to that money ? no way do u get that from day one onwards. 

I can assure they do get paid that my daughter worked for  the Tesco in our town and that’s what she was earning  8 years ago , the managers ire on a lot more than that to . 

She did evenings and some nights as a team leader have a look at this this is STARTING View attachment 17662 pay  for a junior buck  no experience and no long service pay award  
Its true, often people can be better off in some of these paye jobs. its just unfortunate for us in our line of work, that its notorious for cash in handers under-cutting the tradesman. mind you, they couldnt pull it off with a lot of my customers, as they are mainly bank transfer

She did evenings and some nights as a team leader have a look at this this is STARTING View attachment 17662 pay  for a junior buck  no experience and no long service pay award  

this only serves to prove my first point....  no chance of 12 to15 pound an hour staking shelves i said, then I said if ur manager and been there years and on nights u might touch near 12 an hour befor tax's.  above it says clearly 8 to 12 an hour...  so like i said depending how many years it takes u might touch near 12 an hour on nights if u rise into management.  i dont see 13 an hour or 14 or 15 an hour.  iv worked in super markets too, i know what thay pay, guy i knew worked there 7 years at tesco an after that long became a section manager and was on 12 an hour, working rota night shifts and day shifts lates and earlies. took him 7 years to get that. less tax after. theres no 12 or 15 pound an hour for just plain old shelf staking after being there even acoulpe months. then theres reginal diffences, a waiter in lodon can earn 30,000 a year but cost of living if twise as much so no better off, london shelf staker going be on way more then a grimsby one.  8.50 starting pay if ur lucky, maybe 10 an hour after 3 years thats relality of it

this only serves to prove my first point....  no chance of 12 to15 pound an hour staking shelves i said, then I said if ur manager and been there years and on nights u might touch near 12 an hour befor tax's.  above it says clearly 8 to 12 an hour...  so like i said depending how many years it takes u might touch near 12 an hour on nights if u rise into management.  i dont see 13 an hour or 14 or 15 an hour.  iv worked in super markets too, i know what thay pay, guy i knew worked there 7 years at tesco an after that long became a section manager and was on 12 an hour, working rota night shifts and day shifts lates and earlies. took him 7 years to get that. less tax after. theres no 12 or 15 pound an hour for just plain old shelf staking after being there even acoulpe months. then theres reginal diffences, a waiter in lodon can earn 30,000 a year but cost of living if twise as much so no better off, london shelf staker going be on way more then a grimsby one.  8.50 starting pay if ur lucky, maybe 10 an hour after 3 years thats relality of it

Read what’s written GENERAL NIGHT SHIFT ASSISTANT STARTING PAY , ones that stack shelves this is what they earn night shift stacking shelves my daughter only worked for Tesco for 4 years or so and was on just under £15 per hour as a team leader on evenings and some nights , the night manager is I believe paid £20 per hour , Sainsbury’s pay very similar we have both supermarkets only a few hundred yards apart and they are considered to pay there staff very well it’s just the way that they are treated that leaves a lot to be desired .

Read what’s written GENERAL NIGHT SHIFT ASSISTANT STARTING PAY , ones that stack shelves this is what they earn night shift stacking shelves my daughter only worked for Tesco for 4 years or so and was on just under £15 per hour as a team leader on evenings and some nights , the night manager is I believe paid £20 per hour , Sainsbury’s pay very similar we have both supermarkets only a few hundred yards apart and they are considered to pay there staff very well it’s just the way that they are treated that leaves a lot to be desired .
no i just dont beleave it's the reality. it says in small print the average was take from 3 ither tesco own reports...like we beleave what thay tell us...or from 3 ramdon unknow workers...?  its just no where near an acreate statistic, not by any means. alot of companys surplie these wage websites with there own made up facts cause thay know people will look and thay want to look good to suck people in. dont take these websites so called facts as truth, just google supermarket jobs and see what the wage being offered is. cause that is the real truth. thats the best way to know whats really being paid. 20 pound an hour for night managers...maybe after workig there full time for 15 to 20 odd years thay might have got near that maybe. more like 15 to 17 pound hour befor tax.  be lucky to even get full time hours these days, its all 23 hours a week max contract hours nowerdays days.  some retailers its 15 hours only contract. nothing ever is all that anymore.  lucky to get 15 an hour driving a 40 tonn lorry acoss europe after shelling out 5 grand on the licents. brick layer is lucky to take  450 a week befor tax. there no magic high paying job out there. 

no i just dont beleave it's the reality. it says in small print the average was take from 3 ither tesco own reports...like we beleave what thay tell us...or from 3 ramdon unknow workers...?  its just no where near an acreate statistic, not by any means. alot of companys surplie these wage websites with there own made up facts cause thay know people will look and thay want to look good to suck people in. dont take these websites so called facts as truth, just google supermarket jobs and see what the wage being offered is. cause that is the real truth. thats the best way to know whats really being paid. 20 pound an hour for night managers...maybe after workig there full time for 15 to 20 odd years thay might have got near that maybe. more like 15 to 17 pound hour befor tax.  be lucky to even get full time hours these days, its all 23 hours a week max contract hours nowerdays days.  some retailers its 15 hours only contract. nothing ever is all that anymore.  lucky to get 15 an hour driving a 40 tonn lorry acoss europe after shelling out 5 grand on the licents. brick layer is lucky to take  450 a week befor tax. there no magic high paying job out there. 

Well in that case Ime guessing her wage slips must be wrong then beacause that s what is sais on them and her weekly pay works out right for that much per hour for the hours worked ?. I don’t know if there are regional differences or not but that’s certainly what ones are paid at both theses supermarkets here I clean the managers house windows of our local Sainsbury’s I’ll ask him as I know and get in quite well with him . 

I worked at Aldi in the warehouse picking on a lollop whilst i started up my window cleaning business on a morning shift 5.30am - finish. I was on £12.50ph, if I were to have worked in the freezer I’d have been on something close to £17p.h. The team leaders were on £32kper year and I know area managers start at £50k+per year. The only requisite for application to be an area manager is that you needed a degree. You could come straight out of university and apply. 

A lot lot of these jobs pay a lot more than I certainly thought they did initially. I’m not sure what it’s like for the other supermarkets. 

I worked at Aldi in the warehouse picking on a lollop whilst i started up my window cleaning business on a morning shift 5.30am - finish. I was on £12.50ph, if I were to have worked in the freezer I’d have been on something close to £17p.h. The team leaders were on £32kper year and I know area managers start at £50k+per year. The only requisite for application to be an area manager is that you needed a degree. You could come straight out of university and apply. 

A lot lot of these jobs pay a lot more than I certainly thought they did initially. I’m not sure what it’s like for the other supermarkets. 
just read a report that sainsburys is highest payer outside london at 9.20 an hour...but thay stoped paying for breaks at same time, so less hours needing to be paid.  lidl pays 10.55 an hour inside the m25 ring and 9 pound an hour rest of the country....not all that is it.  iv also heard brick layers are getting 2000 a week...lol talk to a real bricky and see if thay agree... 450 a week minus broken, stolen tools, van repairs, down time, getting stiffed for payment, happends all the time plus raining days and genral winter time quietness...lol everyones on 20 pound an hour in there head. its like buying jeans everyone buys jeans least 2 inches longer than there leg really is and everyone buys jeans atleast 2 inches less then there real waist, ask a smoker how many thay smoke in a day take there ansaw and double it...lol 

just read a report that sainsburys is highest payer outside london at 9.20 an hour...but thay stoped paying for breaks at same time, so less hours needing to be paid.  lidl pays 10.55 an hour inside the m25 ring and 9 pound an hour rest of the country....not all that is it.  iv also heard brick layers are getting 2000 a week...lol talk to a real bricky and see if thay agree... 450 a week minus broken, stolen tools, van repairs, down time, getting stiffed for payment, happends all the time plus raining days and genral winter time quietness...lol everyones on 20 pound an hour in there head. its like buying jeans everyone buys jeans least 2 inches longer than there leg really is and everyone buys jeans atleast 2 inches less then there real waist, ask a smoker how many thay smoke in a day take there ansaw and double it...lol 

Yeah that might be whilst you’re on your 3 month probation ( through agency I started on £7 per hour but that went up to £9 per hour in the first 6 weeks once as the demands on you as a picker incrementally increase at the start of every week and then they get rid of everyone who doesn’t meet their target) but once you’re employed it jumps up considerably. 

Coincidentally, most of my family are brickies and right now they’re making really good Monday my brothers labourer is on £150 per day. Helps him do something called ‘block and beam’. You’re right it is weather dependent though not just rain but if the weathers too hot or too cold. 

Regarding pricing discussions, I find it really useful, probably the most important topic.  If it wasn't for this forum and the discussions about what you can charge then I would never have started in the first place.  I never would have imagined what you can charge.  

When I first looked into it I was telling a mate of mine how much you can earn and he was saying 'I can't see it myself... my girlfriend only pays £8 and her mother has a huge house and only pays £9... oh and you don't want to be going on somebody's 'patch'...blah blah blah' hence to say that's what my motivation has been to prove him wrong a million times over.

Personally I couldn't care less whether it's 'bragging' or not, the point is it gives yourself a figure to evaluate your own prices against.  The advice I've received on here about pricing has been absolutely sound.  I don't think you should charge too much to start with but you shouldn't charge peanuts either.  I try and charge just above the average and aim for the £30 to £35 per hour mark.

Yeah that might be whilst you’re on your 3 month probation ( through agency I started on £7 per hour but that went up to £9 per hour in the first 6 weeks once as the demands on you as a picker incrementally increase at the start of every week and then they get rid of everyone who doesn’t meet their target) but once you’re employed it jumps up considerably. 

Coincidentally, most of my family are brickies and right now they’re making really good Monday my brothers labourer is on £150 per day. Helps him do something called ‘block and beam’. You’re right it is weather dependent though not just rain but if the weathers too hot or too cold. 

Well i do work in a super market. started on 7.78 an hour at super market in 2016. directly emplyed from day dot. was on that for year and a half. after 2.5 years now on 8.87 an hour. part time contract hours, every new person there is on part time hours. so dont really know what everyone else is going on about. brickies might be making good at the moment cause demand is high. wait till the next crash thay will all be working for bottons just to survize.  only have to save to what thay have made in the good times to cover being out of regulare work for months and years on end when the crash happens.  it all works out at about 25,000 grand a year. truth is ur doing about good as can be if u can make 10.00 an hour in building trade, after tax, and all other losses and over heads are in. 

Well i do work in a super market. started on 7.78 an hour at super market in 2016. directly emplyed from day dot. was on that for year and a half. after 2.5 years now on 8.87 an hour. part time contract hours, every new person there is on part time hours. so dont really know what everyone else is going on about. brickies might be making good at the moment cause demand is high. wait till the next crash thay will all be working for bottons just to survize.  only have to save to what thay have made in the good times to cover being out of regulare work for months and years on end when the crash happens.  it all works out at about 25,000 grand a year. truth is ur doing about good as can be if u can make 10.00 an hour in building trade, after tax, and all other losses and over heads are in. 
So I try aldi ?

There’s nowt wrong with sharing prices and hourly rates as it helps others to make realistic targets possible although I dont think anyone declares there full turnovers and some will most definitely be exaggerated. The worst ones for me are the ones that seem compelled to post every time they buy a new van or car or expensive piece of equipment.(who cares if youve just spent £700 on a pole). And then there’s the 5 holidays they’ve been on this year with another 2 in the pipeline. This is window cleaning forum, not fb. 

There’s nowt wrong with sharing prices and hourly rates as it helps others to make realistic targets possible although I dont think anyone declares there full turnovers and some will most definitely be exaggerated. The worst ones for me are the ones that seem compelled to post every time they buy a new van or car or expensive piece of equipment.(who cares if youve just spent £700 on a pole). And then there’s the 5 holidays they’ve been on this year with another 2 in the pipeline. This is window cleaning forum, not fb. 
If this forum was only about work it would be as boring as the others.

Since being on this forum for many years, it’s good to see banter about holidays etc in my opinion.

Also enjoy the Micky taking between myself, and @Part Timer and @Den and @Part Timer

There’s a bit of a contradiction here in my opinion as it’s ok to to say how much you earn to encourage others, then talking about holidays, expensive equipment etc should also do the same.

The day the good natured banter and chit chat outside of work stops on here, is the day this forum would start to struggle as it would be the same as all the others out there. ?

Latest Posts

Back