Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Which battery is suitable for my 8ah MAX shurflo water pump?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

haychhh95

Hi there guys…

I’m new here and been scrolling through and firstly thanks for some of the forums I’ve read today, really good stuff!

I had a question to follow up on some of the stuff I’ve read.

I have a shurflo water pump 100psi, and the specifications state it is 12v, however 8ah MAX. I currently run the trolley with a 12v 22ah battery and the batteries keep packing up on me.

Does anyone think or know that the battery isn’t the correct spec for the pump and that’s why they keep blowing up?

Thanks for your time and any input be greatly appreciated!

Harry

Hi there guys…

I’m new here and been scrolling through and firstly thanks for some of the forums I’ve read today, really good stuff!

I had a question to follow up on some of the stuff I’ve read.

I have a shurflo water pump 100psi, and the specifications state it is 12v, however 8ah MAX. I currently run the trolley with a 12v 22ah battery and the batteries keep packing up on me.

Does anyone think or know that the battery isn’t the correct spec for the pump and that’s why they keep blowing up?

Thanks for your time and any input be greatly appreciated!

Harry
What do you mean by "blowing up"?

Also, what trolley and what battery? For example, the Purefreedom trolley comes with either a lead acid battery or lithium battery, depending on version.

Tell us all about your charging profile. How old is the battery, how often do you charge it, etc

Also, what trolley and what battery? For example, the Purefreedom trolley comes with either a lead acid battery or lithium battery, depending on version.

Tell us all about your charging profile. How old is the battery, how often do you charge it, etc

So I buy the batteries brand new and come fully charged, they work for say a couple of weeks and then stop lasting entire days and have to mix & match to see the day out on the trolley. It’s asif the maximum charge on them is lowering way quicker than it should ?

The trolley is an obscure one, however has worked for a good few years without this problem. It is a mantis trolley and the battery is an SLK NP22-12 battery.

The trolley gets charged every day after work, Monday to Friday. I work from 8am-3pm on those days.

Thanks for your help

So I buy the batteries brand new and come fully charged, they work for say a couple of weeks and then stop lasting entire days and have to mix & match to see the day out on the trolley. It’s asif the maximum charge on them is lowering way quicker than it should ?

The trolley is an obscure one, however has worked for a good few years without this problem. It is a mantis trolley and the battery is an SLK NP22-12 battery.

The trolley gets charged every day after work, Monday to Friday. I work from 8am-3pm on those days.

Thanks for your help
Ok. This is a generalization.

An AGM battery is similar to an ordinary lead acid battery in that it mustn't be discharged lower than 50% of charge or its longevity is compromised. It also needs to be recharged as soon as possible after use, the same as a lead acid battery.

But an ordinary lead acid battery charger isn't suitable for charging AGM batteries. An ordinary battery charger will recharge at a voltage of 13.8v to 14.2v. An AGM battery needs to be recharged at a voltage between 14.6–14.8v. If an ordinary lead acid battery charger is used, then the battery is being under charged and sulfation will quickly occur, reducing the battery's capacity. So an AGM battery requires a specific AGM battery charger. It also must not be left on trickle charge when the battery has been fully recharged.

Let's go back to the depth of discharge of 50%. This means that you have 11 amps of useable capacity in your battery when it's fully charged.
My Shurflo pump using a Varistream controller and 100 meters of microbore hose draws 3.3amps when set to a flow rate of 4. If memory serves me, that equated to a similar flow rate of 40 on a Spring controller and approx 2lpm of water at the brush head with warm water. If you also use a controller, your Shurflo pump will draw a little less current on the same setting.
I once estimated that on our compact round, we spent 30 minutes an hour actually cleaning windows. I expect it's probably closer to around 20 minutes. But this depends on lots of factors.

Let's say the pump will run for 20 minutes an hour. Using the above statistics of mine, our pump will draw 1.1amp of current an hour. So in theory, you have a working day of 10 hours with a new battery in tip-top condition. If you aren't using a controller, then your battery draw will be more. At 30 minutes usage an hour, your working time reduces to 9 hours.

All batteries 'wear out' over time. Our last leisure battery lasted us 3 years. It was a 110amp combination battery. It would power 2 Shurflo pumps OK, but it didn't have enough 'push' to also run the diesel heater, drawing 7 or 8 amps. My van has a b2b charger on board and I recharged the battery every night when I got home with a dedicated leisure battery charger. I worked out that it's capacity dropped from 110 amps to around 25 amps in those 3 years.

@Marko067 has made extensive modifications to his trolley, which included changing his pump for a Streamline one that draws much less current. A search under his username and trolley should bring up some detail.

Back