Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Why rinsing is not always necessary

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Just watched this video. Mr Green; when do you clean the sill? You 'cleaned' a window without rinsing and then brushed over the sill. Do you clean the whole window and then run over the sill or do you run over the sill after each window frame? Does the brush not pick up dirt from the sill that then goes onto the next pane of glass and gets left as it's not been rinsed away?

I'll rinse on occasionally but use a swivel so that I can chase the dirt. I'll also rinse on above 30'.

Rinsing is a personal thing.

You could attach cross beams to the box section at the roof line on both sides and that will then give you something to attach the tubes to it’s not difficult to do you can use joist hangers from a builders merchants and pop rivet them in place I did this for a friend who has a dispatch it ended up very similar to what I have in my van , it’s also a cheap job to do 
Just had a little look in the back of the van and on one side there is a plastic cover right the way across. I think Joist hangers might not work. I've had another plan. I can see no reason that I couldn't take apart 2 munsen rings and put it back together so there is a connector either side. That way I could connect 2 vertical munsen rings and have 2 pole holders sort of stacked down the centre of the van where I can connect.

Just watched this video. Mr Green; when do you clean the sill? You 'cleaned' a window without rinsing and then brushed over the sill. Do you clean the whole window and then run over the sill or do you run over the sill after each window frame? Does the brush not pick up dirt from the sill that then goes onto the next pane of glass and gets left as it's not been rinsed away?

I'll rinse on occasionally but use a swivel so that I can chase the dirt. I'll also rinse on above 30'.

Rinsing is a personal thing.

You do what you have had to do and its become a habit - with me anyway.

In the early days we had Vikan flocked brushes. No way could we rinse on the glass as the flocked bristles trapped too much muck. We found the best solution was to rinse off the glass. When working at height I tilt the brush and drag it across the glass to get a run of clean water uncontaminated by the brush bristles.

I'm using the new Gardiner Ultimate with Dupont bristles. I have tried rinsing on the glass with that brush on a few chosen glass panels and they seem ok on later inspection, but I prefer to not take the chance.

You do what you have had to do and its become a habit - with me anyway.

In the early days we had Vikan flocked brushes. No way could we rinse on the glass as the flocked bristles trapped too much muck. We found the best solution was to rinse off the glass. When working at height I tilt the brush and drag it across the glass to get a run of clean water uncontaminated by the brush bristles.

I'm using the new Gardiner Ultimate with Dupont bristles. I have tried rinsing on the glass with that brush on a few chosen glass panels and they seem ok on later inspection, but I prefer to not take the chance.
I sometimes rinse on only the ground floor as I  can visually inspect the glass after the rinse quite often I still see tiny bits stuck to the window. TBH I’m never 100% confident with rinsing on the glass. 

I sometimes rinse on only the ground floor as I  can visually inspect the glass after the rinse quite often I still see tiny bits stuck to the window. TBH I’m never 100% confident with rinsing on the glass. 

Obviously where you are in the country and frequency of clean are very important factors.

For us, on the coast, I'm not confident with rinsing this way either. The trouble is that unless we move out of our comfort zone and try new methods we will never find new ways of doing window cleaning.

The thing i don’t get is, yes you might be able to get away with not rinsing because it won’t leave streaks or spots etc.

But what about the specs of dirt you get,?

They need rinsing off surely? 

I fail to understand some answers. Without rinsing then all you do is move the dirt around like the guy who does 10 houses with 25l of pure. The most important thing is to flush the window with pure after scrubbing and the dirt should fall away to the sill. Just common sense, I thought.

I fail to understand some answers. Without rinsing then all you do is move the dirt around like the guy who does 10 houses with 25l of pure. The most important thing is to flush the window with pure after scrubbing and the dirt should fall away to the sill. Just common sense, I thought.
The theory is if you have a high enough flow rate you'll be rinsing as you wash. 

Since I was the one who mentioned Darrens video and have applied the principle of it with good results in the year since he posted it; I'll share my technique.

As you know I live on an island with harsh weather conditions.

First it comes down to the weather the last few days. Any rain is good as it cleans the windows. Wind and no rain is bad as it builds up salt and muck.

Then it depends on how and where the window is located. Under an awning it needs thoroughly rinsing. If it's recessed into the wall, it needs rinsing. If it's in the direct path of the rain, and it rained recently, it's most likely not that dirty.

Third it's about how long since last clean.

See where I'm going with this?

If I conclude it's not that dirty I do a few sweeps of the top frame. One quick not very precise agitation, then go back up and rinse on glass in a sweeping motion (with swivel) and move the dirt down.

No I can't do  it completely rinse free where I live, but the principle Darren mentions in his video saves a lot of time compared to the two agitations and rinsing off glass that have been advocated.

As others have said, add up the factors and clean away. If you do the job in half the time, you have time to wait for a few minutes and check out the windows for runners. Sometimes you misjudge and have to clean the entire job twice, but other times you do it in half the time. It evens out in my favour so far.

Since I was the one who mentioned Darrens video and have applied the principle of it with good results in the year since he posted it; I'll share my technique.

As you know I live on an island with harsh weather conditions.

First it comes down to the weather the last few days. Any rain is good as it cleans the windows. Wind and no rain is bad as it builds up salt and muck.

Then it depends on how and where the window is located. Under an awning it needs thoroughly rinsing. If it's recessed into the wall, it needs rinsing. If it's in the direct path of the rain, and it rained recently, it's most likely not that dirty.

Third it's about how long since last clean.

See where I'm going with this?

If I conclude it's not that dirty I do a few sweeps of the top frame. One quick not very precise agitation, then go back up and rinse on glass in a sweeping motion (with swivel) and move the dirt down.
No I can't do  it completely rinse free where I live, but the principle Darren mentions in his video saves a lot of time compared to the two agitations and rinsing off glass that have been advocated.

As others have said, add up the factors and clean away. If you do the job in half the time, you have time to wait for a few minutes and check out the windows for runners. Sometimes you misjudge and have to clean the entire job twice, but other times you do it in half the time. It evens out in my favour so far.
I always rinse off. I always think if your works well priced and especially if the customer is in just take your time and give them their moneysworth and you know the job is done to the best of your ability.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

I should have watch Darren's video and will do when I begin WFP. Anyway, off today and going to do some leafleting after a bank visit. I'm taking it easy after working so hard. :1f603:

Well the word ‘clean’ is subjective/relative.

What might be clean to someone by giving a window a quick scrub and no rinse, might not to be clean to someone else who scrubs slightly more & does one thorough rinse after.

I tried the no rinse method on a house yesterday, customer wasn’t in and I had a little spare time. As it was drying I could see small blacks specs on the frames & one big spec of dirt/or bit of leave at the bottom of the glass pane when I stood right back. A quick rinse would of got them all off. So I did afterwards.

Some cleaners may just shrug their shoulders and say it’s fine, it’ll dry fine etc. But maybe I am a perfectionist. But I’ll continue doing it the way that got me this far.

each to their own.

Obviously where you are in the country and frequency of clean are very important factors.

For us, on the coast, I'm not confident with rinsing this way either. The trouble is that unless we move out of our comfort zone and try new methods we will never find new ways of doing window cleaning.
Totally agree I'm always open to anything that helps wear and tear on our bodies and also saves time as long as it don't compromise our standard of work. 

On our lunch today I saw a window cleaning van pull up across the road behind us, me being nosy turned the van around to watch.

Shocking...fixed brush head doing windows from an angle...no corners or frames and not anything that resembled a rinse. Just a quick scrub.

Was good really as I had my new guy with, a great example of how not to do it. I have no idea of what kind of mindset these guys have, it made the green pro video look OCD.

On our lunch today I saw a window cleaning van pull up across the road behind us, me being nosy turned the van around to watch.

Shocking...fixed brush head doing windows from an angle...no corners or frames and not anything that resembled a rinse. Just a quick scrub.

Was good really as I had my new guy with, a great example of how not to do it. I have no idea of what kind of mindset these guys have, it made the green pro video look OCD.
If you could stop stalking me that would be great ?

Back