Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Why rinsing is not always necessary

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Well safe to say there’re some opinions on this subject. 

I do genuinely believe @Green Pro Clean Ltd And others who say they don’t always rinse on some windows and they come out fine. I wasn’t accusing anyone here of ‘cowboy cleaning’

I have mostly 8 weekly rounds, so personally I don’t think I can get away with it, as they all are quite dirty etc, but I have a couple of 6 weekly rounds as well, some aren’t too dirty when I show up, I will continue to practice when I have a little spare time & customer is out.

Thanks for the tips & advice about potential faster ways. 

I have been thinking about the point of rinsing and came across this thread / video.  

I'm extremely thorough with my cleans and use a high flow, the rinsing seems overkill as there are no bits on the glass when I rinse due to how I clean dragging everything downwards.  

I'm going to put my neck out there and suggest that the point of rinsing is aimed at those who don't quite do a good enough job while scrubbing.  The advice to rinse is like a fail safe technique that catches all those that use too low a flow rate and don't thoroughly scrub the window.  I think that if you use a very high flow rate and scrub it properly in a downward direction then I fail to see what could be left on the glass other than pure water.

I'm going to give it a go next week.

I have been thinking about the point of rinsing and came across this thread / video.  

I'm extremely thorough with my cleans and use a high flow, the rinsing seems overkill as there are no bits on the glass when I rinse due to how I clean dragging everything downwards.  

I'm going to put my neck out there and suggest that the point of rinsing is aimed at those who don't quite do a good enough job while scrubbing.  The advice to rinse is like a fail safe technique that catches all those that use too low a flow rate and don't thoroughly scrub the window.  I think that if you use a very high flow rate and scrub it properly in a downward direction then I fail to see what could be left on the glass other than pure water.

I'm going to give it a go next week.
I’m 6-7 weekly. There are certain windows on my round that seem to be ‘extremely’ hydrophilic if that make sense. I never rinse them and haven’t for years.

I personally wouldn’t try it on hydrophobic glass though ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m 6-7 weekly. There are certain windows on my round that seem to be ‘extremely’ hydrophilic if that make sense. I never rinse them and haven’t for years.

I personally wouldn’t try it on hydrophobic glass though ?
That's very useful to hear.  I'm going to try it on hydrophobic but try it using a technique that ensures that all the water and everything on the glass is dragged downwards with maybe a rinse on the bottom 3 inches.  

When I think about all that chasing beads down the glass I'm sure that I must miss beads of water but the windows dry clear, so with that in mind I think it's worth trying to drag like small sheets of water around the brush down the glass as in theory if you just leave pure on the glass it should dry clear.  

Definitely will try it on bathroom windows, mine rarely have anything on the glass so it seems pointless rinsing bathroom windows unless it's the plain opaque type.

Getting really bad this now, I was ******* dreaming about it last night, what I would give for a different type of wet dream ? 

I have my flow on virtually full whack and work very quickly. 

Having such a high flow there is no need to rinse.

The water cleans the glass while you scrub.

Only the odd bit you can see might need a rinse.

I'm waiting for a rinse bar to be delivered and gonna try that instead of my usual fan jets.

I reckon it will be even easier then.

[SIZE=11pt]The reason for all the various methods posted here is that there are so many variables that we have to deal with when rinsing, sometimes even on the same job, and no one technique is the best one for every variable.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Alex’s Video of basic techniques is just that. They are basic techniques that every window cleaner using WFP should know. However, they are like a foundation to build on and we build on that by gaining experience on the job. Some of us may never use some methods because they won’t suit any of our work. Others may use primarily one method because all their work is very similar. However, many of us likely use a number of different rinsing techniques during our day. I know I do.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]With regards the posted video, I think the problem with it is, not so much with what he is doing but with what he is saying. He’s saying that he’s not rinsing, but in fact IMHO he is. His water is flowing, and at a good rate and he is rinsing ‘on the glass’ as opposed to ‘off the glass,’ albeit very quickly. This method can and does work on certain types of window.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]I use a similar method a lot of the time on my regular maintenance work with good results. You must have good flow though for it to work well and keep your eye on the job at hand otherwise there is potential for bad results.[/SIZE]
Exactly.. I am doing the same and like squeeky clean Dave does also.

The 2nd scrub on the glass is my rinse also it just looks like no rinsing.. still so much quicker though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm waiting for a rinse bar to be delivered and gonna try that instead of my usual fan jets.
 I have been thinking about a rinse bar recently and what got me thinking was the potential comparison with one and 100 fans, despite my nay saying about Xtreme sill brushes I bought two the other week and the medium mixed doesn't restrict the flow at all and gives a 100% full width rinse, I ain't that struck on it and prefer the flocked version but i reckon once the M/M  has been used for a few weeks it will be better brush as it's just to springy with no give in the bristles at all. 

I have been thinking about a rinse bar recently and what got me thinking was the potential comparison with one and 100 fans, despite my nay saying about Xtreme sill brushes I bought two the other week and the medium mixed doesn't restrict the flow at all and gives a 100% full width rinse, I ain't that struck on it and prefer the flocked version but i reckon once the M/M  has been used for a few weeks it will be better brush as it's just to springy with no give in the bristles at all. 
I use small superlites and 34cm ultimates.. all perfect with fans.

Rinse bar should be good.

The rinse bar works well with the extreme sill medium  and 35cm extreme because the bristles don’t splay as much, I found on the 26cm ultimate brushes the splay blocked the rinse hitting the glass unless installed high on the stock. 

I had always stuck with the Ultimates since they came out and have had no issues with flow as such, but instantly with far less bristles it has a flow that a rinse bar appears to give albeit lower down, flow is only slightly hindered on the flocked version so a bit like 50's rather than 100's I just ain't ain't got around to butchering the bristles yet. 

I had always stuck with the Ultimates since they came out and have had no issues with flow as such, but instantly with far less bristles it has a flow that a rinse bar appears to give albeit lower down, flow is only slightly hindered on the flocked version so a bit like 50's rather than 100's I just ain't ain't got around to butchering the bristles yet. 
I cut a few bristles out of mine to get the full 100° spray.

6 hours ago, Dave B said:

Exactly.. I am doing the same and like squeeky clean Dave does also.

The 2nd scrub on the glass is my rinse also it just looks like no rinsing.. still so much quicker though.

That's exactly what I mean, my technique is nothing like Squeeky Dave but the principle of how many times I pass the glass is exactly the same [first the scrub, then the scrub / rinse].  That's a great video, it's true it's the extra strain on your shoulders that would be the most beneficial.  Think it would save me about 20 percent time, so 1 hour on a 5 hour day.  

Back