Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Window cleaning in winter

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Fahad

Hi guy winter is around the corner and this will be my first time cleaning as I only started few months ago. Some customers have already told me they would like monthly clean from April till end of September and then go bi monthly until April then back on monthly. Do you find customers doing this? Also do you find a lot of customers will cancel cleans due to rain rubbish weather. Also will I be expected to lose more customers during winter then summer. Also at what percentage does your earnings go down. Just interested to know what’s expected. Thanks 

Last edited by a moderator:
No we don’t as when quoting I point out we work all year and in all weathers within reason , I dont take on any seasonal work cannot be bothered with it I want regular monthly income and work for the guys , I think you need to be more selective with the customers you take in or be more strict when quoting setting your stall out , if I get a feeling the person will only want spring summer cleans I walk away .

Earnings are the same all year for window cleaning as we do the same work every 4-8 weeks but add ons like gutter vaccing obviously increase dramatically during the winter weather . 

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guy winter is around the corner and this will be my first time cleaning as I only started few months ago. Some customers have already told me they would like monthly clean from April till end of September and then go bi monthly until April then back on monthly. Do you find customers doing this? Also do you find a lot of customers will cancel cleans due to rain rubbish weather. Also will I be expected to lose more customers during winter then summer. Also at what percentage does your earnings go down. Just interested to know what’s expected. Thanks 
Unfortunately you being a newbie and needing customers you will have to put up with this type of rubbish. You shouldn't lose more customers in the winter and your earnings shouldn't dip that much.

Try and be firm with these customers and tell them you quoted them for monthly cleans and if they do revert to bi-monthly there will be an additional 25% charge.

When your established your earning shouldn’t go down unless you yourself don’t want to work in the rain.

As for customers not wanting a regular cleaner throughout the year again as soon as your client base grows you drop these also, I understand it hard to do at first but what your looking for is  good loyal clients that just want a regular-good service.

I started in winter despite family and friends advising me against this as it's the "hardest" time to pick up customers, but I stand by what I said then. If you pick up customers during winter, you have nothing to worry about as you know they'll be there all year round. 

I started in winter despite family and friends advising me against this as it's the "hardest" time to pick up customers, but I stand by what I said then. If you pick up customers during winter, you have nothing to worry about as you know they'll be there all year round. 
I started in the winter too November in fact( many years ago )  and didn’t have any problems getting customers and very rarely did ones want to cancel or alter frequency , if they said I will phone you in the spring I just said don’t bother as I won’t be coming back I have bills to lay all year and if all customers were like you how would I do it . I did have a couple of idiots phone asking me to go back in the spring but not interested in taking them back , once dumped never go back . 

i have one customer who goes from 4 weekly to 8 weekly in winter out of 340+ customers,thats it......i work in most bad weather(within reason)so earnings are the same all year round,i also finish early every day so short winter days are not a problem...

Sounds like you're in danger of letting the customer have the upper hand. We all take on work in the beginning that we will eventually off load, but what you're talking about is a potential nightmare. See them as puppies, some need training...

I would of notified my customers when taking them on that they are contractually agreeing to regular cleans as you don't stop and the bills keep coming.

When this happens in my opinion it's time to reevaluate their commitment and also have other add on services as backup such as

pressure Washing

Gutter cleaning

Hot tub cleaning

end of tenancy

And so on

Hi that’s good how many did you pick up in winter and how many customers do you have now 

When your established your earning shouldn’t go down unless you yourself don’t want to work in the rain.

As for customers not wanting a regular cleaner throughout the year again as soon as your client base grows you drop these also, I understand it hard to do at first but what your looking for is  good loyal clients that just want a regular-good service.
Yes I will have to kinda be a yes man and  the. Eventually drop them as soon as I have a decent amount of customers 

I started in Jan 2020. Last winter I only had 3 customers asked me to stop for the winter. I dumped them. I allowed one to return after I put her price up. 

I had a few requests asking if they could change their intervals over winter. I said no because it messes my schedule up. They completely understood and remained on their current schedule. 

I only had one job where the lady asked me not to clean her windows but to be fair, the rain was biblical and I had no intention of working in it. 

When I sign customers up, I make it clear I only want customers on my terms, all year round in all weathers except for when I choose not to work! It's also stipulated on my website. 

You need to set your terms and not be dictated to. No problem starting up in winter but you do tend to get more new  customers in the spring and summer. 

Yes I will have to kinda be a yes man and  the. Eventually drop them as soon as I have a decent amount of customers 
No, I don't agree with being a yes man. I thought this too but I quickly realised it was a mistake. 

If you need the money to feed your children, pay the mortgage etc, then you’ll have to put up with it, until you have a decent amount of work. 
If not , then explain that you work all year round. If they don’t agree to that , then dump them. ??

For some customers monthly is too regular. Why not offer them bi-monthly all year round as an option but explain that you'll need to increase the clean price by 25%. In that way they make a saving over the year and at the same time you increase your hourly rate. Win win for both you & the customer.

For some customers monthly is too regular. Why not offer them bi-monthly all year round as an option but explain that you'll need to increase the clean price by 25%. In that way they make a saving over the year and at the same time you increase your hourly rate. Win win for both you & the customer.
Hi yes it makes sense this is what I would like to do when I get more customers I find people who are retired they like monthly as they get to see people as they don’t get out much 

You will probably have a lot of customers that are "busy" on every date over the winter ?

But it's a good chance to get rid of them and keep the loyal ones.

you can clean window with hot water in winter it will be easy for you to clean the window
I've just fitted an immersion, in the new van. It's not on the road yet, but I'm looking forward to getting on with the hot. Snail trails seem to be worse this year, but I may just be imagining that....

Oliver was here today servicing my hotwater system. I was asking him about electric vans and the use of thermal heating from their batteries. He told me at the moment its no good because it drain's the battery. I thought that was the electric idea out the window but not atall. He was saying he is fitting a hotwater system into electric vans by the use of an ancillary diesel tank for the Webasto heater. That means my electric van dream is still on because it would save me at least £200 a month on fuel and no road tax.

Oliver was here today servicing my hotwater system. I was asking him about electric vans and the use of thermal heating from their batteries. He told me at the moment its no good because it drain's the battery. I thought that was the electric idea out the window but not atall. He was saying he is fitting a hotwater system into electric vans by the use of an ancillary diesel tank for the Webasto heater. That means my electric van dream is still on because it would save me at least £200 a month on fuel and no road tax.
That's a healthy saving ?

Latest Posts

Back