Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Work/training/trial

WCF

Help Support WCF:

lots of customers/jobs you pick up in the early years dont last long!it takes years to get a solid core of good,loyal,good paying customers and a stable income that you can rely on week in/week out in my experience.....
I understand where you are coming from. I have a 100 good quality customers and don't want anymore because I do add-ons which cancels out the boredom.

600 hundred customers, well done, but in one post you're saying you can get 400 customers in a few months but it took you 13 years to get 600. I'm not in anyway criticising your achievement as you have built a business from nothing but sometimes there are claims and statements that might apply to 1-1000 cases and I believe getting a full book of customers in a few months is one of them, no matter how hard you work.

I believe these types of statements would demoralise 99% of newbies that have worked their ******** off and got no where near that figure.
I never said anything about 400 customers that was a post from another user. Nor did I say it took me 13 years to find 600 customers. Surely you get that yes I have been at it 13 years and have 600 customer, but that doesn't mean it took me 13 years to find 600 customers. I wouldn't be in business if that was the case.

Telling them its going to take 12 grand, or years is demoralising. I said 250 custies, if you knock flyers out 40+ hours a week.

If they're going to start cleaning windows. It doesnt really matter how long it takes. Theyre going to have to find work one way. Its going to take time effort and money. If they have no money and lots of time, then flyers are a good way to go.

To the origional poster; spend a few days sticking out flyers and see for yourself mate.

Last edited by a moderator:
I never said anything about 400 customers that was a post from another user. Nor did I say it took me 13 years to find 600 customers. Surely you get that yes I have been at it 13 years and have 600 customer, but that doesn't mean it took me 13 years to find 600 customers. I wouldn't be in business if that was the case.

Telling them its going to take 12 grand, or years is demoralising. I said 250 custies, if you knock flyers out 40+ hours a week.

If they're going to start cleaning windows. It doesnt really matter how long it takes. Theyre going to have to find work one way. Its going to take time effort and money. If they have no money and lots of time, then flyers are a good way to go.

To the origional poster; spend a few days sticking out flyers and see for yourself mate.

If you can fill up your weekends. Then perhaps go part time at your job. If not find somewhere else that is part time, to ease into it. While still making something you can live on.

If you blast out flyers like there is no tomorrow. You can have a full round in a few months. 100 flyers an hour 40 hours a week. 160 custies month 1 at 1% enquiry rate.

Just don't say yes to everything and price it right. 
You claimed that by simply putting flyers through the door you can get 160 customers a month, that is 400 customers in 10 weeks. 

You claimed that by simply putting flyers through the door you can get 160 customers a month, that is 400 customers in 10 weeks. 
What does it matter. I never said it took me 13 years. You can start a window cleaning business from flyers and door knocking. Its not impossible. If you disagree and think as high-tower mentioned it would take 250,000 flyers and not 25-50,000 as I suggested, fair enough.

If you knock out 100 flyers an hour 40 hours a week, you will get there. Whether its in 3 months or a year. I think 50,000 flyer would get you 250 customers, and it wouldn't take me anything near a year to knock them out. There is also door knocking, social media, google listing, word of mouth, and other low cost ways they can get custies on top of the flyers.

What does it matter. I never said it took me 13 years. You can start a window cleaning business from flyers and door knocking. Its not impossible. If you disagree and think as high-tower mentioned it would take 250,000 flyers and not 25-50,000 as I suggested, fair enough.

If you knock out 100 flyers an hour 40 hours a week, you will get there. Whether its in 3 months or a year. I think 50,000 flyer would get you 250 customers, and it wouldn't take me anything near a year to knock them out. There is also door knocking, social media, google listing, word of mouth, and other low cost ways they can get custies on top of the flyers.
Have to agree with you.  I started out delivering flyers all day. Would get 4-5 clients a day.

Then you start cleaning them and it’s a case of just always posting flyers, door knocking whenever not cleaning. It’s not rocket science but works.

Problem is I’ve come across many who simply be bothered to put in those hard first hours of delayed return.

We aren’t disagreeing that the business can be started with flyers and door knocking. But to be realistic with expectations on how long it takes to establish a round. 
If I could get 1-2 customers per 100 I’d pay to have 60,000 a month delivered and put a van on the road every 2 months. But that’s not reality. 

We aren’t disagreeing that the business can be started with flyers and door knocking. But to be realistic with expectations on how long it takes to establish a round. 
If I could get 1-2 customers per 100 I’d pay to have 60,000 a month delivered and put a van on the road every 2 months. But that’s not reality. 
The reason i wouldn't is not that I couldnt get there with marketing. Once you employ a large amout of people, you need to pay vat, and have more infrustrure costs etc. Sales teams, reception staff etc. Which all punts up the price of your service.

I could make a decent living on my prices, and employ one or two people. But beyond that, the addittional costs and time involved running a larger operation would strip out any benifit, without increasing my prices too far beyond my compeditors and what my customer would pay. 

You would be beter focusing on commercial and industrial contract cleaning. But thats way beyond where the origional poster is at. Right now he just want to make a living cleaning windows and employ himself.

I think he's up in the 200's and started because he heard women at his kids school complaining they couldn't find a window cleaner.

To get 400 in a few months, today in a few months without buying work is, in my opinion, unfeasible in the vast majority of areas.
Cheers @Pjj @Part Timer @Davey G for the mentions and kind words, yeah the mums at the school are to thank for getting me started.

Covid has been amazing for me and now upto 360-380 customer its been a crazy ride and some ridic long days in last cpl months as i cant turn down a walk up lol.

Just this week (Wednesday) i had a walk up "hi how much to clean my flat there" 3 gerogian sash windows 18x 6" bits each window so 10/12 minutes "£8 every 6 weeks"

"Lovely theres 9 flats all with the same windows and 1 communial door, will you do them all for same price"

So that was extra 90mins work that day but will only be 45-60minutes work after that first clean for £72 

Its graft hard, hard graft to start but so worth it.

I started part time but if your determined its achievable, winter is tough as you could get rained off for a week (i choose to not work in rain) and if your a young lad with no savings behind you then thise weeks can be tough but if your sensible with money you can do it.

Ive got a thread called UPTO 50 CUSTOMERS, that you may find interesting its a bit of a blog on my journey but with some priceless advice from the 'older' longer established guys on here.

Covid has been a realy eye opener, ignore facebook groups for window cleaners, ive found them all full of billy big b0ll0cks on £500 aday everyday, with all the best equipment with not much idea how to utilize it and no pot to p1ss in when needed.

(Excuse the rant of facebook windy groups, ive just had enough of them ????)

Cheers @Pjj @Part Timer @Davey G for the mentions and kind words, yeah the mums at the school are to thank for getting me started.

Covid has been amazing for me and now upto 360-380 customer its been a crazy ride and some ridic long days in last cpl months as i cant turn down a walk up lol.

Just this week (Wednesday) i had a walk up "hi how much to clean my flat there" 3 gerogian sash windows 18x 6" bits each window so 10/12 minutes "£8 every 6 weeks"

"Lovely theres 9 flats all with the same windows and 1 communial door, will you do them all for same price"

So that was extra 90mins work that day but will only be 45-60minutes work after that first clean for £72 

Its graft hard, hard graft to start but so worth it.

I started part time but if your determined its achievable, winter is tough as you could get rained off for a week (i choose to not work in rain) and if your a young lad with no savings behind you then thise weeks can be tough but if your sensible with money you can do it.

Ive got a thread called UPTO 50 CUSTOMERS, that you may find interesting its a bit of a blog on my journey but with some priceless advice from the 'older' longer established guys on here.

Covid has been a realy eye opener, ignore facebook groups for window cleaners, ive found them all full of billy big b0ll0cks on £500 aday everyday, with all the best equipment with not much idea how to utilize it and no pot to p1ss in when needed.

(Excuse the rant of facebook windy groups, ive just had enough of them ????)
This forum isn’t completely devoid of those either.

Glad to hear your doing well ?.

Keep our of Bromley ??

Pub time. Have a great weekend fellow windies ???‍?

This forum isn’t completely devoid of those either.

Glad to hear your doing well ?.

Keep our of Bromley ??

Pub time. Have a great weekend fellow windies ???‍?
Lol next time somebody from Bromley rings me and i dont have time to drive 145.2miles ill pass on your details ?????????

I didn’t have a clue about window cleaning when I started I just watched a sh!t load of YouTube videos then practiced on friends & families houses. 

My advice set targets, WRITE THEM DOWN and take them very seriously- 

My first target was to reach 100 regular customers in 3 months, I managed to get 120 customers and that’s with slacking off the last few weeks. All you’ve got to do is knock doors relentlessly, clean to a good standard and be a regular, reliable window cleaner, it really isn’t difficult. 

It’ll be 2 years this November since I started my business and my current target is to have a 100k window cleaning round which I will achieve so it definitely doesn’t take years to build a good round.

If you’re willing to put the graft in window cleaning can be very rewarding, best of luck to you pal & keep us updated ??

To add my two cents on this thread; there’s a lot of people, not only in the cleaning sector, who think they’re putting in 100% to make their business work and they simply aren’t. Being self employed and running a business, the work (at the start anyway) doesn’t come too easy as most of us will know. You need to put your life and soul into making your business successful and how far it goes and how long it keeps afloat is entirely up to you. Of course there are circumstances where bad luck and coincidences can occur which are sometimes outwith your control, but... there’s a lot of businesses I know personally, or have looked at from an outsiders perspective, where the failings of it can be directly linked to the person(s) running the business not being completely motivated and/or putting in as many hours as they can to make it successful.

Wow that was well said I must admit. I am considering doing it at weekends for now and see how it goes. I’m worried I will give up my job and then end up on skid row lol. I constantly think of all the bad things that could happen. It’s something I have wanted to do for a while. 
Wise to start out trying to build your window cleaning round by working weekends, that way you still have a income coming in while exploring if you can get customers(the hardest part of this business). Do a good job, so retain those customers(second hardest part of the job). And importantly whether you are suited to the job of window cleaning and working for yourself.

I didn’t have a clue about window cleaning when I started I just watched a sh!t load of YouTube videos then practiced on friends & families houses. 

My first target was to reach 100 regular customers in 3 months, I managed to get 120 customers and that’s with slacking off the last few weeks. All you’ve got to do is knock doors relentlessly, clean to a good standard and be a regular, reliable window cleaner, it really isn’t difficult. 

It’ll be 2 years this November since I started my business and my current target is to have a 100k window cleaning round which I will achieve so it definitely doesn’t take years to build a good round.

If you’re willing to put the graft in window cleaning can be very rewarding, best of luck to you pal & keep us updated ??
Dont set the bar too high or your likely to be disappointed.....£100,000 a year is not achievable (as a sole trader anyway).....its fairytale land mate......??

Dont set the bar too high or your likely to be disappointed.....£100,000 a year is not achievable (as a sole trader anyway).....its fairytale land mate......??

Actually it is achievable 1 man 1 van 

i have noticed Facebook is being bombarded with new start ups.    Offering the best job at cheap rates.      Everyones at it.        after October  Furlough  people loosing jobs   there will be even more.

In teesside area   ive noticed 6 newbies  all advertising on Facebook.     Sponsor posts.   They must be paying to advertise on Fb      to show everywhere in there areas  wanted

Actually it is achievable 1 man 1 van 
do you know of any window cleaners earning £100,000 a year?i didnt think so........its a myth.....most window cleaners cant even afford a decent van,hot water system and decent poles.....in fact its pointless to earn that much even if you could as you would get hammered by the taxman.........

i have noticed Facebook is being bombarded with new start ups.    Offering the best job at cheap rates.      Everyones at it.        after October  Furlough  people loosing jobs   there will be even more.

In teesside area   ive noticed 6 newbies  all advertising on Facebook.     Sponsor posts.   They must be paying to advertise on Fb      to show everywhere in there areas  wanted
Its not just happening in your local town, its happening in a lot of other towns/citys in the UK, reach and wash systems are now cheap and easy to buy and a lot of people are looking to get into the trade It doesnt effect us because theres a demand out there for people requiring a window cleaner.  Theres a lot of work out there to be gained even if 10 newbies started up tomorrow,  u just have to look in the right places.

@jonnybravo Plenty of work for everyone... but to be honest with u... Teesside still has shortage of window cleaners... 100% fact ?

Latest Posts

Back