Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Work/training/trial

WCF

Help Support WCF:

i work more efficiently working shorter 5-6 hour days than trying to cram in as many jobs as possible into an 8 hour day........also my hobbies are weight training 3 times a week and playing drums...which are both physically demanding in their own right plus im 50 next year so you could say im almost semi retired!

if you work too many long days/weeks/months window cleaning you end up hating it........

So, obviously I am looking to setup a window cleaning business one day. But for now I would like to learn the trade, and see if it’s for me. Would anyone in the Aldershot area have any work? Happy to work early finish late. And can start immediately. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
If you wanted one or two days training to have a go, learn how to get the job done in an efficient, professional way. Get to see what the realistic (very good) earning potential is. See how to administrate the work (record keeping, tax requirements, etc). Watch, listen and learn to make your mind up if it's the sort of work you really want to commit yourself to.

I could potentially give you one or two days out on rounds near Petersfield. I don't have a full time position for you (or anyone) as I'm a sole trader and staying that way. Work experience basis, not a paid job as I'm not banking on you making me bugger all extra as I teach you what's what. Might help you decide one way or another if this is for you.

Thank you for the offer. But I have found a job window cleaning for a local company. Enjoying it. I do feel they are trying to fit in to much in to one day. 25 jobs per van of two people. It’s fast paced. I am more of a go at my own pace kinda person. Lol

Thank you for the offer. But I have found a job window cleaning for a local company. Enjoying it. I do feel they are trying to fit in to much in to one day. 25 jobs per van of two people. It’s fast paced. I am more of a go at my own pace kinda person. Lol
25 jobs for 2 people on a van is quite slow paced id say!

Ive got the odd day where i do 22-25 jobs a day on my own.

Most days are 14-18 jobs alone.

Bromely is a high density suburban district, a wealthy one too I may add!  I suspect due to the high cost of living in Bromley, the majority of the residents are the professional types who work in London thus less working class chaps doing work such as window cleaning.

I couldn't comment on Strood but it's a deprived area and I would suspect to get a compact round there, you would be charging a low fee.

The towns I cover are lower in density compared to Bromley, more spaced out with countryside all around with plenty of villages and hamlets.  It's quite common to see a multitude of window cleaners serving one street - as I say, the competition is fierce.  There are literally 100s of window cleaners serving Maidstone for example.  This is one of my areas.  
Again, your "here in Kent" comment doesn't cover all of Kent. We clean within 10 minutes drive of Maidstone and make a lot more than the prices you've stated for the 3-4 bed semis. Double, in fact.

Plus, "for the big detached houses in acres of land", they are some of our most profitable customers. You need to be confident on your pricing and not work for peanuts. You'll end up chasing your a**e all day! 

Again, your "here in Kent" comment doesn't cover all of Kent. We clean within 10 minutes drive of Maidstone and make a lot more than the prices you've stated for the 3-4 bed semis. Double, in fact.

Plus, "for the big detached houses in acres of land", they are some of our most profitable customers. You need to be confident on your pricing and not work for peanuts. You'll end up chasing your a**e all day! 
I price my jobs on the basis of my hourly rate of being £40 - £45.  It would be interesting to understand how you price your jobs.

I price my jobs on the basis of my hourly rate of being £40 - £45.  It would be interesting to understand how you price your jobs.
As a newbie that is how you should price jobs. You need to learn your trade, earn a living and be seen working. Once you get established you can look at trying to double, at least, your hourly rate on one off jobs.

Very easy for people earning good wages, that don't need one offs, to quote very high prices on this type of work.

We don’t do many small houses. Smallest is 4 beds...it’s a slog. I would be happy doing smaller houses. I’m not init to be rich, I am alive to enjoy a work/life balance. I think sometimes people or company’s get to greedy. 

As a newbie that is how you should price jobs. You need to learn your trade, earn a living and be seen working. Once you get established you can look at trying to double, at least, your hourly rate on one off jobs.

Very easy for people earning good wages, that don't need one offs, to quote very high prices on this type of work.
I do tend to charge double for one-off cleans.

I aim to be fair and not quote silly prices - I would not like to think I'm ripping anyone off.  But by the same token, it does wind me up that another bloke down the road is earning double than me! ?

I do tend to charge double for one-off cleans.

I aim to be fair and not quote silly prices - I would not like to think I'm ripping anyone off.  But by the same token, it does wind me up that another bloke down the road is earning double than me! ?
At the end of the day it doesn't matter what you think. If the customer thinks you're ripping them off you won't get the job. If they accept your price and you do a good job they'll feel it's money well spent.

In my opinion the only time we can rip people off is if we ever leave a job not as clean as we could get it.

At the end of the day we can all price up how we want......my hourly rate is roughly £40-£50 an hour which I'm perfectly happy with but I'm in the north west.....it doesn't matter what others earn....as long as your happy and content mate...??

Unless they're all big houses spread around that is a very comfortable day. That's doable on your own, when up to speed, with average size houses.

Sorry, but to use the phrase ‘here in Kent’ is far to vague.

Kent is a massive county. I work in Bromley, which although is a London borough, it has a Kent postcode (on the border), and I can assure you my round is very compact.

Im friends with a guy who works around Strood in the Medway who also has a very compacted round.

Not getting involved with how much I earn as I don’t want to get involved with the boastathon that’s seems to be dominating this thread, but just saying a compact round is definitely achievable in Kent ?
Anywhere inside the m25 or just the other side is easy to get compact work.

Just the sheer number of houses is in your favour 

Latest Posts

Back