Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.

New leisure battery

Neil

I need one too - any particular makes / model would you recommend ? Do I need a different charger too ? as I think somebody mentioned that the cheap charger u get on ebay may damage the battery ?! how true is that

Ive got this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-AMP-12V-COMPACT-PORTABLE-BATTERY-6A-CHARGER-CAR-MOTORBIKE-VEHICLE-VAN-/261356968711?pt=UK_Car_Exterior_Accessories&hash=item3cda16db07

I got an electrical company to wire my van up 3 years ago and they put a new battery in and it's still going now !! Not had to charge it once but I've just started to notice that the negative terminal has acid stuff round it all corroding and I was told I needed a new one is this true? Or can I clean it off

You could try to disconnect the battery then use a wire brush to clean the terminal then put vaseline on it before connect it back up. However if the battery is damaged/leaking then best get it replaced.

I got an electrical company to wire my van up 3 years ago and they put a new battery in and it's still going now !! Not had to charge it once but I've just started to notice that the negative terminal has acid stuff round it all corroding and I was told I needed a new one is this true? Or can I clean it off
Guest SolarPanelCleaning

I use leisure batteries to power my house. You can get 88 amp hour batteries (12v dc) for fifty quid or so. Remember you should never run a battery below half! Don't use a car battery! They're designed to discharge all their power in one go ( to turn your engine over).

Sealed maintenance free lead acid batteries are great. I'm thinking of putting a small solar panel on my dash board, to keep my battery topped up. This'll will increase the life of the battery and save me hassle of remembering to charge it.

I stopped to have a chat with a lad working across the road from me and found him in the back of his van having battery problems. Turned out he was using the cheapo ones you use :rolleyes:

I said to him "Surely it makes more sense if you are busy to buy decent leisure batteries that are up to the job" :D

yes every evening - almost 2hrs for each one :(

Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.