Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.

Came across a bird trap

Guest boarcity

Guest boarcity

a customer of mine for 6 years lived out in the country and iv cleaned for them with no problems inside and out almost every clean

but this year they moved into the edge of town into a brand new home . him and her are good payers and my workers like them as did i .

Until the last clean.

Walking around the back of the new house in their manicured garden near to a boundary fence i came across an old magpie trap . i stopped in my tracks when i saw it ,lordey me ,a bird trap!

in my opinion its very cruel to trap any birds [but these traps are perfectly legal]

i knew instantly what it was [larson trap]because yrs ago i knew a gamekeeper who had one of these set near where i lived and i used to quietly release anything caught in it [including cats],so he didnt get to kill much when i was around!

Now i know its legal for my customer to have it,it wasnt set when i saw it ,but what would YOU do?

im thinking of dropping them off the round on moral grounds. its a fair bit of money they spend however

Guest boarcity
Are you sure it was put there by them or left by the last owners?

its his . he saw me looking at it and said to me "thats a magpie trap" in a slightly evil tone . i wasnt sure how to react so i acted as if nonplussed and carried on walking so as not to alarm him.

Guest SolarPanelCleaning

Bring a country boy............see loads of these. The idea is to swap magpies with someone else, magpies are territorial and when an 'alien' magpie is making noise in cage, the local birds will come and attack it, getting trapped in the cage in the process. Clever stuff.

You townies with your hash tags and your stabbings will never understand our simple inbred country ways.

Guest SolarPanelCleaning

I tried Hammersmith in the 90's. The pavements were too wide and I got black bogeys?

Back on topic, magpies, jackdaws, rooks etc will eat eggs and small birds. They'd have a good go at smurf's cat too, if they thought they were on to a winner. So yeh, pest control is morally okay.

You townies put bumps in the pavements to deter the homeless from sleeping there! What's all that about!?

Guest boarcity

couple yrs ago while out at work i heard a terrible racket up by the gutters. a starling was fending off a Magpie that was trying to get its babies in a nest under the tiles . i swiftly ran over to my van ,got my longest pole and swatted the magpie away .

nontheless i wouldnt have trapped it

Guest SolarPanelCleaning

Justice wfp style! On the whole, I think if you kill an animal you should try and eat it. Exactly not like fix hunting. But if course vermin do need to be dealt with efficiently.

Dave, not tried rooks breast, I imagine there's bugger all meat there, ang gamey! Ate a pigeon breast once. Shot it with an air gun, we were hungry, to find a ring on its leg. Still imagine some Yorkshireman staring out if the window every evening, waiting for his winner to come home........

Guest SolarPanelCleaning

Elvis ate squirrel apparently, pub myth maybe, what's it like? We call them tree rats round here. There's LOADS this year, and hedgehogs too, mild winter last year I guess, so munch away.

Guest boarcity

normal hunting iv no problem with , iv killed a few mixie rabbits , rats over the years and an adder snake that was hanging about near my back door .

its just the fact this sinister guy has a female magpie kept alive somewhere for years thats used as the bait in his trap to catch the males .

its my guess that when he lived out in the country this was all hidden but now hes living in suburbia ,its out in the open ,on view

wow suddenly entered the nature watch forum...me...eat ...anything as long as its cooked...yeh...if hungry..i would kill to eat..but kill for killings sake....hmmmmm

mind you killed a fair few flies this week ...but not supa fly....hes the one i can t get...he keeps flying up laughing at me and buzzing off....i will get him one day....:D

• 3 weeks later...

Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.