Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Am I using too much resin?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

El Sombrero

I'm currently using a 7ltr D.I vessel along with Tulsion resin. Average tap PPM is around 95. I'm currently getting about 805ltrs of pure out of one fill of resin before it starts to creep up. Is this about right, or am I going through too much? TIA

I'm currently using a 7ltr D.I vessel along with Tulsion resin. Average tap PPM is around 95. I'm currently getting about 805ltrs of pure out of one fill of resin before it starts to creep up. Is this about right, or am I going through too much? TIA

Probably better investing in a Ro system and then through the DI unless you are on a water meter. If you go through a RO system then a bag of resin will probably last you a year.

Yeh I use a R.O, with a 7L d.i. I change the resin when it gets up to 3, which is about every 6months. So i buy a bag every 18months-2 years or so. Good long term investment. 

https://www.windowcleaningwarehouse.co.uk/resin-calculator.html

Using 800 liters a week a 25liter bag of resin should last you about 5 weeks. Your di vessel is approx 4 fills of resin. Using the same calculation your di vessel of new resin should last you a little over a week. So according to the calculation you should get around 1000 liters from a di vessel.

Some have found that trickling their water through the di vessel helps to extend the life of the resin action as the resin has more time to react with the passing water. The process works by ion exchange, so the slower the process, the better the result.

We have found that out tap water tds fluctuates quite a bit. If I was di only, when the water is 87 my resin consumption will be less than it would be today. Today our tap water tds is 122, but a few weeks ago it was 147. At 147 I will be using a lot more resin than at 87.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeh I use a R.O, with a 7L d.i. I change the resin when it gets up to 3, which is about every 6months. So i buy a bag every 18months-2 years or so. Good long term investment
In theory, if he had an r/o he won't need to use any resin as his reject water will be less than 2ppm. Depending on how much water he uses and the efficiency of his r/o, that di vessel full of resin will last him a year like ours does.

At 95ppm the op is getting very close to the tds when he would be better off with an r/o. Good long term investment?  Yes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back