P4dstar

Business rates on a lock up garage

P4dstar

Do any of you guys own lock up garages and if so do you pay business rates on the unit? Particularly looking at garages that have been bought on behalf of the business not ones you own as a residential person and happen to stick your van and or some tools in.

Cleanteam South west

Had one years ago that i rented for another business, never paid business rates on it jut paid each month for rent. so unless things have changed then no you shouldn't have to pay rates.

scottish cleaning service

The new thing that's in vogue is shop in a box. It involves a site full of steel containers and you can rent one or part of one. Short leases and cheap as chips to rent and usually in the middle of town. I've been reading about them and wish I came up with the simple idea.

Part Timer
14 minutes ago, scottish cleaning service said:

The new thing that's in vogue is shop in a box. It involves a site full of steel containers and you can rent one or part of one. Short leases and cheap as chips to rent and usually in the middle of town. I've been reading about them and wish I came up with the simple idea.

My pal has been doing it for 15 years, doubt you'll get a van in one though

P4dstar
1 hour ago, Cleanteam South west said:

Had one years ago that i rented for another business, never paid business rates on it jut paid each month for rent. so unless things have changed then no you shouldn't have to pay rates.

I've had a look at it and there is a lot of conflicting stories about them. Some of them seem to be declared 0 value if you are not trading directly from the unit so seem to be charged it. Did you ask for a business rates appraisal?

16 minutes ago, scottish cleaning service said:

Not really looking at the cost of lease etc just the cost of business rates on a building either owned or rented. 

2 minutes ago, Part Timer said:

My pal has been doing it for 15 years, doubt you'll get a van in one though

I'm thinking a garage that will fit a medium sized van like a Berlingo. When I bought my wife's car the guy was in a shared office. Really strange set up for a car sales place but he basically rented his shared office space and extra car parking spots. Definitely not what I was thinking about!

Teaboy

there wont be any rates on one,

what do you need it for?