Pit Creature

How windy is too windy to work?

Pit Creature

50mph winds here today.

Reckon I can work in that?

Pjj

I wouldn’t , generally it blowed the dirty water back onto the window , apart from the risk of wind catching the pole . 

scottish cleaning service

Great week up here for window cleaning, little rain. Not so sure about the wind.

mike007

When it blows my hat off !!

Incheck

No chance. It’s doesn’t take much to blow a ladder or wfp over. Anything 18mph-25mph be aware. 25 and above its not worth the risks. 

Got in there before the hailstones arrived but I knelt on a plastic store box in a garden and knee went through it 😂 Everything is very brittle but I told the daughter I would fix it, heaven knows how.

Martyn

You've got to play that by ear but when the wind is tugging at your pole and you are getting more water on your face than the window it's probably time to stop.

Pit Creature
6 hours ago, mike007 said:

When it blows my hat off !!

That happened today! Haha.

Pit Creature

Ended up going out and I'm glad I did. Got everything done without too much bother apart from the occasional gust of wind. Thankfully I was sheltered from the wind for most of it.

steve garwood
5 hours ago, scottish cleaning service said:

Got in there before the hailstones arrived but I knelt on a plastic store box in a garden and knee went through it 😂 Everything is very brittle but I told the daughter I would fix it, heaven knows how.

He’s asking about how windy does it have to be to stop working 🙄🙄.

I have and I will work in winds of 50 miles per hour @Pit Creature 👍
That’s WFP obviously, not trad

Part Timer
1 hour ago, Pit Creature said:

Ended up going out and I'm glad I did. Got everything done without too much bother apart from the occasional gust of wind. Thankfully I was sheltered from the wind for most of it.

Same here, had jobs up Stanley and Crook which I thought would be very wild but overall not to bad. Worst wind was in Washington around 1pm

dmw

Its surprising how much more you can do when its windy with wfp. Even when its blowing empty wheelie bins over you can crack on.

1 minute ago, dmw said:

Its surprising how much more you can do when its windy with wfp. Even when its blowing empty wheelie bins over you can crack on.

When I was tradding I didn't like working above 30mph.

dazmond

just get out and work in it...i used to be up ladders in 40mph winds years ago!now with WFP its easy.......the only thing you have to watch out for is if its really dry and the wind is blowing up dust....thankfully its been wet here so its damped down any dust...if its dry and dusty AND very windy your wasting your time as youll make a mess of the windows for sure.....

Pjj

The direction from most manufacturers and the HSE is the maximum wind speed you should work in is 25 mph and it’s in the contracts that we have with some commercial clients  that they cannot be cleaned above that level , I have not got a wind speed meter 😂😂😂 so it’s down to what we think and feel on the day if it’s safe to work we do if it’s not we go home .

I find the constant wind is okay to work with but its the gusts that can catch one out. The gusts can double the wind speed and break your wfp. This can cost you a day's wages or more and that when you wish you had stayed at home. 😉

Suhrly

I was in 2 minds this morning but I'm pleased I went out and got a days work done. 2 new customers so again I'm pleased I did. I always just try and go out in high winds, if it is too windy then come home you can always say you tried. Saying that,the second off last house I was literally fighting with the pole had that of been the first house of the day I might of called it off there and then.

1 minute ago, Suhrly said:

I was in 2 minds this morning but I'm pleased I went out and got a days work done. 2 new customers so again I'm pleased I did. I always just try and go out in high winds, if it is too windy then come home you can always say you tried. Saying that,the second off last house I was literally fighting with the pole had that of been the first house of the day I might of called it off there and then.

If you have a sign written van then its better being out and even waiting for the wind to die down. You won't get any new customers parked at home. 😉

steve garwood

A good tip when working in strong winds is to extend your pole in shorter lengths.

It will be more rigid and less likely to snap 🙂👨‍🦰

DeLaCruz

You can pick your spots when its windy - if you got some valley properties they'll be much better than the ones up higher on hills. Also obviously lower jobs are way better than high ones. I just give the windows a double rinse if i see them getting blasted by the wind. 

Edited by DeLaCruz